The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Chalmers is good at what he does but unfortunately that style is no use for the current high press, high energy, pass and move, fast breaking type of football which is currently all the rage.

Funnily enough from what I've seen of Dundee I believe Adam has similar problems and slows things down too much for Dundee although Adam is slightly higher caliber and does add goals to the mix.

Ultimately the team dynamic is far more important than any individual, so if Chalmers is incapable of adapting then he may not have too much of a future at Ayr.

6 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Fair enough. I was quite harsh.

Harsh but fair imo.

He hasn't hit the same levels and is afforded a considerable degree of latitude because of his injury. However, in his role on the park, you need to put a foot in. 2 seasons ago there was a credible argument that he could get into 80% of the teams in the division. That is no longer the case.

I hope he gets over his injury and keeps up his recent improvement in performances (he's still not there yet) but he needs to tackle. D'Jaffo cited the obvious example away to Queens but too many players just glide past him at the minute like he's not there. 

11 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I think Joe Chalmers is a luxury player and would be interested to see him in a winning team who are controlling possession. I think he’d cigar it. 

Probably, the problem is when we don't have the ball it's like playing with 10 men. Given the scrap we are in, he can warm the bench.

God knows how he was ever a full back? He's so slow.

I’d keep Murdoch and Chalmers next season and add another two midfielders to compete with them. Kyle Jacobs would be a good option to put in there and is the kind of player we should’ve been looking at to replace Doc.

Miller played as a fullback/wingback under Hopkin at Livi so we may see him stay there as competition for Houston and Reading.

In terms of defenders we’re probably going to be looking at playing a back 3/5 next season which seemed to get the best out of Baird when he was at Morton. I have no idea if Hopkin thinks he can get the best out of Roscoe but if we’re playing with 3 centre backs we’re probably going to need to bring in two more to play backup given Ndaba won’t be here next season.

I think Chalmers in a three in midfield in games like today may help. Two doing the dirty work and him in there to try and keep a hold of the ball when we actually get it. 
I agree, I feel Chalmers would be much better playing higher up the park with dirty work players behind him, but the players we have in general I don't think lends itself to accommodating it.

Just now, Jeff Venom said:
27 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:
I think Chalmers in a three in midfield in games like today may help. Two doing the dirty work and him in there to try and keep a hold of the ball when we actually get it. 

I agree, I feel Chalmers would be much better playing higher up the park with dirty work players behind him, but the players we have in general I don't think lends itself to accommodating it.

I thought he was ok when he came on midweek, the 41221 we finished with seemed to suit giving him some roaming space as well.  

I thought he was ok when he came on midweek, the 41221 we finished with seemed to suit giving him some roaming space as well.  
I agree with that as well, I thought he did fine when he came on and put Walsh through right at the very end.
Will be interesting anyway where Hopkin sees him fitting in.

22 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Yes, he started quite well when he came on but did fade away a bit. That could be as much to do with us sitting deeper as anything else. He could be a decent option to play that role if we are struggling to get a hold of the ball in the latter stages of games too. 

Edited by No_Problemo

I actually think sticking Muirhead in the middle has changed the way folk might play against us. Usually you could just stroll through the middle into the big gap.

Not so much in the last two games. Muirhead and Ndaba in close proximity has closed it down a fair bit in there.

Raith and Morton were forced out to the wings and Reading and Houston/Miller had it covered to an extent

Muirhead has taken a bit of flack, especially with some head's gone moments but he's been one of our most important players this year for me.

Seems to be the absolute b*****d of a centre back you need in a relegation fight.

POTY candidate - surely

9 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

It’s got to be him or McCowan for me. If Ndaba was here from the start of the season I suspect he’d be up there also. 

Funnily enough, McCowan and Muirhead are both guilty of rash decisions yet have been our standout performers this season (allowing for Ndaba not joining until January).  McCowan's indiscipline comes perhaps more due to age, but I don't think you could fault either of them for desire or passion.  Muirhead has definitely been better at walking the line between disaster and enforcer since his red at Cappielow.