The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, North British said:

Owen and Sandy arrived back in Glasgow last Saturday , this is the Indian closed season . I’d say they were long shots though .

The Jamshedpur manager who has another year on his contract wants to see an improved display in the attack

https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/isl-2020-21-jamshedpur-bengaluru-owen-coyle-play-offs/d4cfhta7n26416cw1wtfpse2i

2 minutes ago, bazka6 said:

The Jamshedpur manager who has another year on his contract wants to see an improved display in the attack

I’m not batting for anybody in particular , I’d be happy with most of the main candidates . On Sandy and Owen , yup under contract , which should scare a suitor off , perhaps they may have a clause . 

On the LS thing ,it’s common knowledge that LS stood McCall up for a meeting at Silverburn . LS bolted and signed for Morton . This understandably pissed McCall off . I believe Sandy had to convince McCall into giving him a second chance . 

3 minutes ago, North British said:

On the LS thing ,it’s common knowledge that LS stood McCall up for a meeting at Silverburn . LS bolted and signed for Morton . This understandably pissed McCall off . I believe Sandy had to convince McCall into giving him a second chance . 

I've never heard that. If that's true, just think how different things might have been had McCall held a grudge. What that shows me is a good manager who has the right people around him to aid his decision making (and challenge him when necessary) and to delegate to where its not his skillset (ie. training). The coaches who come in with the new manager are just as important.

It’s probably a good thing Shankland never joined us then. He was badly out of shape and wouldn’t have kept us up. McCall wouldn’t have had him back and he’d have ended up elsewhere.

I don’t grudge him knocking us back to go and sign for Morton.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s probably a good thing Shankland never joined us then. He was badly out of shape and wouldn’t have kept us up. McCall wouldn’t have had him back and he’d have ended up elsewhere.

I don’t grudge him knocking us back to go and sign for Morton.

Agreed .

My dream is a 31 year old LS coming back and lighting up Somerset in The Premiership with Ayr for his final season or two . 

Talking about the trio of McCall, Stewart and Scally and the three definitely worked as well together as any coaching team I’ve known to be at Somerset. They all clearly had different jobs around the place that meant the three of them covered all the bases.

McCall basically had free run of the club and was allowed to sign who he wanted within a budget. The players he signed were there to fit a system that Stewart had come up with and then Scally was left to be a link between the dressing room and the manager and help Stewart with the training sessions.

I don’t think it can be overlooked how important it is that all three of them had such a close connection with every player in that squad for the 2 and a bit years they were all together.

1 minute ago, North British said:

Scally was the inforcer , just like he was on the pitch . If only Kerr had had somebody like that .

Aye that will always be the one big mystery for me with Kerr as I do think he has the attributes to be a good manager.  Why he decided to take it on while also sort of playing and only having one also inexperienced assistant who was also the data analysis guy is actually astonishing when you think about it.  2 guys trying to do 4 jobs.  

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Talking about the trio of McCall, Stewart and Scally and the three definitely worked as well together as any coaching team I’ve known to be at Somerset. They all clearly had different jobs around the place that meant the three of them covered all the bases.

McCall basically had free run of the club and was allowed to sign who he wanted within a budget. The players he signed were there to fit a system that Stewart had come up with and then Scally was left to be a link between the dressing room and the manager and help Stewart with the training sessions.

I don’t think it can be overlooked how important it is that all three of them had such a close connection with every player in that squad for the 2 and a bit years they were all together.

This

That's why it makes it all the more bemusing that when Kerr landed the job he ended up with just one assistant

Appointing Coye as manager means It would be novelty seeing him at Somerset where the skinny p***k didn't score at least twice. 

I remember we humped Ross county on a Tuesday night at Somerset  0-2. The most one side match you could see and yet somehow we lost because of Owen Coyle, who was by that point probably 35. After the second went in, Steven Boyak tried to score direct from the kick-off and put the ball about 30 yards wide. 

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

We had Shankland all but signed when we were in the championship, he left McCall in the carpark with the paperwork and called to say he had signed for Morton. Fortunately no grudges were held. 

13 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

I'm hoping Smith isn't won over by Hopkin winning the back to back promotions his brand of football is brutal to watch.

As seemingly the only person in the world who thought Brian Reid got his cup semi tactics absolutely spot-on, I'd take the worst football in the universe (again) if it got results.

Edited by Thumper

23 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The fact checker is in the house! Good to see you posting again Saltire. 

Hi Trogdor, on reflection I've pulled my posts as I don't want dragged into debates over the past. The club has moved on and there is a new chairman/owner in place so let's just move forward.