The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Robbo63 said:

I like being entertained, but I like getting 3 points even more 🙂

There's more than one way to skin a cat, I used to love big Ally Graham rattling the net and nobody would call him a classy footballer, then we had the excitement of the English / Kerrigan partnership which notched a barrel load and obviously we had great wingers / individuals down the years such as Henry, Alain Horace, Gary Teale etc, loads of them we could name (and often have) but your point is a good one as football is all about goals, attempts and excitement.

Yes, it's great if you can play lovely one touch pass and move stuff but ultimately it's about putting the ball in the net in any way possible and getting the win, that's the main thing.

Ally McCleod was crap at other some other clubs and was also sacked by Ayr ultimately. Failure at other clubs doesn’t instantly mean failure at their next one. Perhaps forums like this and social media have made it difficult for managers who have failed elsewhere to have any credibility when looking for other jobs and fans are against them from The off.

At Ayrs level, as Hopkin proved, the right manager with the right squad of players at the right time can click. This happened with Hartley at Alloa and Aitken at Dumbarton but these appointments were a gamble by the clubs that paid off.

Right now isn’t the time for us to gamble

There’s no doubt that if we played hoofball for a year and got up under Hopkin then there’d be no complaints.

The only issue with that is that the hoofball aspect was just about the only aspect Hopkin was responsible for at Livingston. I don’t even know how many of the players that came in under him were his signings. Morton fans have consistently complained about his recruitment and although he was on a shoestring budget at Morton that doesn’t mean he’d be able to pick the right players if he came to us.

The fast passing cool approach that Spain made fashionable again is a joy to watch . Who wouldn’t love to hand over £20 for a feast of that stuff . However ladies and gentlemen, I give you the elephant in the room : the good old Scottish winter . The rock on which McCalls teams floundered and Kerr’s sunk . Now I’m not advocating a Wimbledon crazy gang approach , but you need to be able to muscle through certain games , mainly with direct play , but then later in the season you need to be able to play a bit . So really it’s a hybrid style and a fairly large pool of players to go with it’s that’ll carry the day . 

Whatever manager can built a team like that , then that is our guy . Ross County had a bit off an all court game the year they won the league , but whether it was down to Kettlewell or Ferguson who knows . Same for Livingston , was it Hoppy or Martindale , at Ayr was in McCall or Sandy ,looks more like Sandy at the moment . On and on we go ...

So Kettlewell , Hoppy or Sandy and Owen all have a case ... as does McIntyre ... oooft beer time ....

Owen Coyle has had a pretty poor record since Burnley but has managed in the EPL, currently in India apparently, if he was looking to rebuild his reputation in the UK, Ayr would be a good option for him.

He may make his reputation a lot worse by failing at Ayr.....that is how difficult the selection is this time.

35 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Ally McCleod was crap at other some other clubs and was also sacked by Ayr ultimately. Failure at other clubs doesn’t instantly mean failure at their next one. Perhaps forums like this and social media have made it difficult for managers who have failed elsewhere to have any credibility when looking for other jobs and fans are against them from The off.

At Ayrs level, as Hopkin proved, the right manager with the right squad of players at the right time can click. This happened with Hartley at Alloa and Aitken at Dumbarton but these appointments were a gamble by the clubs that paid off.

Right now isn’t the time for us to gamble

McCall aside our recent managers have recently retired from playing, no management experience and no managerial knowledge or links developed in the wider Scottish game. When I think back to this standard of candidate I would gladly take many of the names currently linked with us. Don’t mind us having a punt and still a chance it will go wrong but at least now take calculated risks rather than the easy option 

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Owen Coyle has had a pretty poor record since Burnley but has managed in the EPL, currently in India apparently, if he was looking to rebuild his reputation in the UK, Ayr would be a good option for him.

He may make his reputation a lot worse by failing at Ayr.....that is how difficult the selection is this time.

Owen and Sandy arrived back in Glasgow last Saturday , this is the Indian closed season . I’d say they were long shots though .

Owen and Sandy arrived back in Glasgow last Saturday , this is the Indian closed season . I’d say they were long shots though .
I would be happy to have Sandy back at the club apparently he was a very big part of the success we had at the start of last season but was there not a bit of hard feelings that he did not get the job?

6 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

would be happy to have Sandy back at the club apparently he was a very big part of the success we had at the start of last season but was there not a bit of hard feelings that he did not get the job?

Yes there was , he found out he was sacked in the press . Not LC’s finest moment . Sandy said he wouldn’t touch us with a barge pole , back then . But I’m guessing the two Glasgow wife’s would rather their men weren’t galavanting  all over India ! 

11 minutes ago, North British said:

Yes there was , he found out he was sacked in the press . Not LC’s finest moment . Sandy said he wouldn’t touch us with a barge pole , back then . But I’m guessing the two Glasgow wife’s would rather their men weren’t galavanting  all over India ! 

Did he  not chose to walk away as he did not get the job ?  I am led to believe he turned down a coaching position he was offered at the club as he did not get main job , speaking to Mark Kerr after he was appointed I am sure that’s what he said 

Edited by Robbo63

Did he  not chose to walk away as he did not get the job ?  I am led to believe he turned down a coaching position he was offered at the club as he did not get main job , speaking to Mark Kerr after he was appointed I am sure that’s what he said 
That's what I always understood to be the case as well.

33 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
39 minutes ago, North British said:

I would be happy to have Sandy back at the club apparently he was a very big part of the success we had at the start of last season but was there not a bit of hard feelings that he did not get the job?

Sandy Stewart and Scally took 90% of the training sessions , McCall was a great man manager but tactically his 2 assistants were the men behind our style of play , McCall got  the players to fit into the coaches style of play 

Edited by Robbo63

Think Mark Kerr’s spin on things was that he phoned Sandy up etc . This was done a good while after Kerr was announced , the first Sandy new that he didn’t have the job was when he saw Mark getting announced  . Anyway I can’t be a 100% certain of all the details except that Sandy was well pissed off  . There has been a lot of water under the bridge since then and the 2021 Ayr job is not one to be ignored my any middle ranking managers . Given that if your half way decent you’ll get five or more years at it . So time will tell . Smith will have a job on his hands picking .

2 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Think he will take next Saturday game but should be in before then , next round of Covid tests for us is on Wed or Thu , so should be in place by then I would presume 

Not Shelley then? 😂

9 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Sandy Stewart and Scally took 90% of the training sessions , McCall was a great man manager but tactically his 2 assistants were the men behind our style of play , McCall got  the players to fit into the coaches style of play 

Also I think he was instrumental in persuading McCall to give LS a second chance after Silverburngate .  

Just now, North British said:

Also I think he was instrumental in persuading McCall to give LS a second chance after Silverburngate .  

Sandy Stewart was a very good coach no denying that , he’s been an assistant for a long time so maybe that’s his best position, no guarantee he would have succeed at Ayr , a number of good coaches can’t do the management side of the game but we will never know 

1 minute ago, Robbo63 said:

Sandy Stewart was a very good coach no denying that , he’s been an assistant for a long time so maybe that’s his best position, no guarantee he would have succeed at Ayr , a number of good coaches can’t do the management side of the game but we will never know 

Agreed . 

Managrial appointments are never certainties. I've kept my powder dry other than chastising a couple of horrific shouts so far. I'd reckon appointing a new manager is 50/50 on whether it'll be successful or not. I dont envy Smith and the board with the decision and you'll not find a manager who hasn't failed once. It's inevitable in football.