The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Off the top of my head id be happy with;

Jim McIntyre - Shite at Dundee but has previous of winning this league with Dunfermline, did okay with QOS and then won a trophy with Ross County albeit with a decent budget

Darren Young - Another young manager so doesn’t scream experienced although he has been steadily improving each season albeit with a tendency for post winter collapses.

Stewart Petrie - I can’t claim to have any great knowledge on Montrose although from the outside he has done very well. Will be unlikely as he apparently has a decent job outside football and will be looking for a job closer to home.

Ian “Uncle Ian” McCall - Not really much to say tbh. Every Ayr fan knows what he’s about and everyone will have their own views on the guy. I’d take him back but he is unlikely to leave his beloved Partick for us.

Ian Murray - Not seen his name mentioned anywhere but before his disaster at St Mirren he did do a good job at Dumbarton and currently has Airdrie in the playoffs a league below.

I detest agreeing with anything D'Jaffo says, but I also thought of Murray, good experience now including his turbulent St Mirren stint, done well before and after. 

Also Petrie and Young would be interesting. 

McIntyre is also a decent option, winning LC with RC even with a decent budget is some result. 

McCall ain't coming, done a great job for us and have no grudge with him 

Could we not try for Robinson, at worst he can say no. 

The Jim McIntyre appointment wouldn’t sit well with me. No doubt he’s a good manager but he relegated Dundee and was then laughing about it at Tananadice. That’s poor crack imo. 

Surely just the kind of shithousery we should be looking for?

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Why? He has more experience and has had more managerial success than any other person mentioned. 

I can't argue with that, though he did a poor job with hearts recently 🙄 and let's not forget his 4-6-0 tactics for Scotland. 

Though like you said, he has experience and certainly knows a few players 🤔 

My shout would have been Kettlewell, as I'm absolutely certain his father stayed in Ayr years ago, 😊 he not bad with Ross County. 

Well done Dave Smith, you've been true to your word and showed you're being serious about your ambitions for the club by making a quick, decisive and the correct decision. 

However sacking him was the easy part, getting  a replacement in who fits the bill is the tricky part and he'll need backed in the summer, reckon it'll be quite a big rebuild again, we have a few players though which we should be building a squad around. With the squad we've got and the shithousery of this league we might still make the promotion play-offs if  we get a run together.

Peter Houston for me, was looking last night and he left Scotland U21's assistant post in November so is just now just 1st team opposition analysis at Celtic. With the upheaval behind the scenes expected at Celtic in the coming months i wouldn't be surprised if he's looking to get out of there, now could be the perfect time to go for him. Worked well at this level with Falkirk, who up until there went to shits a few years ago i always wished we could compare ourselves to a club like Falkirk. Good balance of young, talented and experienced squad which was always slightly punching above its  weight in the championship and not a million miles away from promotion. 

IN SMITH WE TRUST 

COYHM

Well I think we all knew that was coming, but I'm still sad it hasn't worked out and harbour Kerr no ill-feeling whatsoever.  The right decision, and shows decisiveness from Smith, but I think we all would have liked to see Kerr do well.  He was part of a great team that I have so many great memories of, and in a way I think the fact the decision has come now means that many fans will be able to remember Kerr for his time as a player more fondly.  

I think it shows just how hard the player-manager role is, especially if you have been a player for a few seasons at that club.  It's hard to make the transition from teammate to boss as players may not fully respect or listen to you in the same way they might with an outsider. 

As for who next,  I think someone experience between now and the end of the season is vital.  Unfortunately it's the same names that appear on the Scottish manager merry-go-round every time a vacancy like this come up and there aren't many that are massively inspiring. I think we can safely rule-out McCall - he is still Partick's manager and he won't leave them unless sacked.  I think his relationship with Lachlan was also a big influence and with Lachlan no longer involved some the appeal may be lost for him.  But McCall himself was a bit of a left-field appointment so I guess we will need to see, but I did like seeing that candidates have already been identified.  Makes you wonder if any of them had been part of the interview process before?

Main thing for me is to ensure we do not end up 9th or 10th, after that re-assess for next season.  

9 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Won't happen but as someone mentioned earlier terry butcher would be a phenomenal appointment. One can only dream .maybe with the new owners big plans for the club it might appeal to a big name.

Wouldn't be the worst option in the world. Got a big personality which we missed under Kerr and would kick these players up the arse.

Edited by THEHonestman1910

Just now, THEHonestman1910 said:

Wouldn't be the worst option in the world. Got wa big personality which we missed under Kerr and would kick these players up the arse.

Butcher is at the club he supports in England with the acadamy cant really see him take it or be offered it my reasoning is it will be a unemployed guy as normal