The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Hmm. Not sure if serious? (despite emoji) There has certainly been an inordinate amount of knicker-wetting on here the last few days, even from posters I considered level headed.

a degree of knicker-wetting when sitting in a relegation spot at this point of the season (and with no sign of performances improving) is completely justified imo 

2 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Hmm. Not sure if serious? (despite emoji) There has certainly been an inordinate amount of knicker-wetting on here the last few days, even from posters I considered level headed.

On the flip side you can say there's been an inordinate amount of everything is fine, which considering our league position and performance level, over the whole season, is a little odd. Really don't know where that confidence is coming from or what's it's based on.

Is Zanatta out of contract at Ayr in the summer.

I was delighted when he signed at Firhill but the guys attitude was appalling, looked lazy and uninterested so I was interested to see if he had improved at Somerset, sounds like he hasn’t.  Given how he was with us and you guys don’t think there will be a crowd of clubs looking to sign him

4 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

He seems to be implying that the main reason we are second bottom is because we cant take our chances which really isnt the case considering the team can hardly even create an opportunity or show any kind of attacking threat

I thought we were poor on Saturday but he does have a point - we should have scored at least 3 goals.   McCowan should do better with a shot he has near the end of the first half then definitely should score a header shortly after (good save though).  2nd half McKenzie turns and shoots wide and Walsh hits one straight at the keeper (good save again but player of his standard has to do better).  Also had a goal disallowed.   Obviously it's very rare for a team to take every chance so it's too simplistic to say we missed 4 good chances so should score 4 goals but it's also the case that if all 4 of them are finished as they should be that it's a significant difference to the result....

38 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Easy solution, don't read it.

Your posts are starting to get a bit hysterical. You're about an inch away from saying 9th ain't all that bad. 🤣

9th wouldn't be that bad.

Would it ?

11 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Firmly tongue in cheek tbh. It was more a reaction to the deflection that 'anyone would think we were league favourites' which is frankly a hysterical comparison to make.

I'm definitely in the knicker wetter camp just now. Not that I've ever been the most rational. Only a few weeks back I thought we could finish 4th. This rut would test anyone's resolve. 

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

On the flip side you can say there's been an inordinate amount of everything is fine, which considering our league position and performance level, over the whole season, is a little odd. Really don't know where that confidence is coming from or what's it's based on.

Fair enough. I haven't seen or peddled much "it's all fine, nothing to see here" stuff but it could be out there. The confidence just comes from the league table and where I think Ayr will finish.

Just now, Hursty said:

I thought we were poor on Saturday but he does have a point - we should have scored at least 3 goals.   McCowan should do better with a shot he has near the end of the first half then definitely should score a header shortly after (good save though).  2nd half McKenzie turns and shoots wide and Walsh hits one straight at the keeper (good save again but player of his standard has to do better).  Also had a goal disallowed.   Obviously it's very rare for a team to take every chance so it's too simplistic to say we missed 4 good chances so should score 4 goals but it's also the case that if all 4 of them are finished as they should be that it's a significant difference to the result....

it is absolutely too simplistic. When thinking back to the games i've watched this season, we haven't created anywhere near as much opportunities as we should be and cant think of any matches where it was simply a case of losing because we haven't scored from the 1 or 2 half chances we've had - in most cases we deserve to have been defeated

3 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

it is absolutely too simplistic. When thinking back to the games i've watched this season, we haven't created anywhere near as much opportunities as we should be and cant think of any matches where it was simply a case of losing because we haven't scored from the 1 or 2 half chances we've had - in most cases we deserve to have been defeated

Fair enough.  I'd say those ones we missed on Saturday were far more than half chances but maybe I am expecting too much of the likes of Walsh and McCowan - who knows.  I genuinely rate these guys but yet other teams just seem far more clinical when given chances - defeats at Morton and QoS spring to mind when we could have won both games twice over yet shat the bed late on and lost.  

The thing that does piss me off is the fact we slow almost every attack down so much that by the time we get a cross in the box or get a shot away there are enough defenders  back to get that last deflection / block in and the chance is gone.  But then again I also think we need to get it forward quicker and more direct to hurt teams.   Seems to work fine against is though !

We’re sitting in the relegation places despite the pre-season target being the play-offs. The team look spineless and Kerr has shown no signs of being able to get the best out of what looked like okay signings. That’s both Anderson and Cameron doing far better at their next clubs than they did here.

We could end up in the promotion play-offs, yes. We could also easily end up back in League One with the last 4 seasons work undone.

The “negativity” patter is nothing but baseless happy-clapping.

2 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Fair enough.  I'd say those ones we missed on Saturday were far more than half chances but maybe I am expecting too much of the likes of Walsh and McCowan - who knows.  I genuinely rate these guys but yet other teams just seem far more clinical when given chances - defeats at Morton and QoS spring to mind when we could have won both games twice over yet shat the bed late on and lost.  

The thing that does piss me off is the fact we slow almost every attack down so much that by the time we get a cross in the box or get a shot away there are enough defenders  back to get that last deflection / block in and the chance is gone.  But then again I also think we need to get it forward quicker and more direct to hurt teams.   Seems to work fine against is though !

yea i would say the ones we missed on saturday were more than half chances as well tbf. I guess the point i was making was that we havent deserved anything more out of most of the games we haven't won this season, so it's a bit frustrating when kerr implies that its just down to not taking chances when its abundantly clear for all to see that we've been rank rotten all season and deserve to be where we are.

Now the ICT Alloa game is by, its pretty simple looking at that table.  Win v Arbroath and Morton and we are on 23 points, with each of them on a max of 21 and we have 1 and 2 games in hand.   At that stage (and it's absolutely doable and should happen) I'd say it's fine and we arent in any immediate relegation danger and may even kick on.  I hope this happens (obviously) as I do think Kerr might turn out to be a good manager and would like to see him get next season as I do think he would come good. 

However - we simply cannot afford to go down.  Anything less than 4 points (and even then the draw would need to be a 'harsh' one if that makes sense) and for me he would have to go, as all of a sudden the immediate short term would become far more important than any long term vision.  As we absolutely cannot go down.

Screenshot_20210223-212445_FlashScore UK.jpg

Edited by Hursty

With the Dundee game off tonight i think it has made our predicament worse because we've gone from a quick turnaround of 2 games in 5 days against Dundee and Arbroath to one.

I think giving Kerr the next 2 games over two weekends is too long to decide what to do, if results from Arbroath and Morton don't go our way you'd be talking March until Kerr perhaps would need to be sacked. Very rare for managers to come in as late as March and turn a clubs fortunes around in time. 

Just now, rb123! said:

With the Dundee game off tonight i think it has made our predicament worse because we've gone from a quick turnaround of 2 games in 5 days against Dundee and Arbroath to one.

I think giving Kerr the next 2 games over two weekends is too long to decide what to do, if results from Arbroath and Morton don't go our way you'd be talking March until Kerr perhaps would need to be sacked. Very rare for managers to come in as late as March and turn a clubs fortunes around in time. 

Agree with the point about 2 weeks being too long to decide. Fail to win on Saturday and that should be it I'm afraid

17 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Aye I think thats pretty much the case, I'm for giving him the 2 games but it pretty much needs to be 6 points or 4 at a stretch and even then you'd think the point would be away at Morton.   Lose on Sat and it's almost impossible he stays.  Win and it buys the second game. 

Edit- that said, still not sure he would get sacked.  It's the one possible drawback about the new owner - does he have remotely enough experience/knowledge/influence in the game yet after a couple of months to be sacking and then sourcing and appointing a new manager in a pretty short time scale?   He will be desperate to get to the end of the season then take his time making his first major decision I'd imagine. 

Edited by Hursty