The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, cop said:

Anyone notice on the half time interview with Cammy Smith the other night  sure he mentioned something about keeping the group of players together for a few years or words to that affect. Wonder if he will stick around for a few years then?

Saw that as well , the Chairman has spoken to them all ,putting them in the picture . Defo sounded like Cammy may well be here next season at least . Great news because he is a cracking player .

Anyone notice on the half time interview with Cammy Smith the other night  sure he mentioned something about keeping the group of players together for a few years or words to that affect. Wonder if he will stick around for a few years then?

Where was this? Was it on the Ayr stream?

Edit: Never mind I remember seeing him on the BBC channel at half time but didn’t listen to the whole interview.

Cammy Smith “If we can keep this team together for 18 months/ two years ,there is no reason why we can do a St Mirren and win the league!” Also “ I prefer to play in the Championship rather than sit on the bench in the Premier “ .

2 hours ago, yorkshirepud said:
15 hours ago, No_Problemo said:
4-2-3-1 is a pretty attacking formation tbh. 

The 4-3-3 you suggested is more defensive and the 4-4-2 option is basically the exact same as Smith would drop deep as he currently does anyway. 

4-2-3-1 is only more attacking if the 3 can get up to support the 1. Too often this season the 1 has been left isolated with the ball being shelled at him from our own penalty area and it was the same toward the end of last season. Agree it worked not too badly in first half on Friday but not at all in 2nd and it took far too long to think about changing it. Smith up beside Wright would give more chance of holding up the ball and time for the cavalry to arrive, unlike Friday when Wright was hopelessly outnumbered for the vast majority of the 2nd half. Alternative formations also let you defend from the front with 2 or 3 pressing high rather than just 1. Guess the point I am trying to make is that we have the players to be flexible but have been reluctant to change it when we are struggling.

Fair enough point, the signing of McGavin gives us the option. As you say it would give the two wide players the chance to get closer to the striker with potentially less defensive responsibility. 

The conundrum is that McGavin is up here to play , and with Murdoch and Chalmers both having good games on Friday , it’s not obvious how to get him into the team in the current formation . 
Both of them could be doing with a rest if we continue to play Saturday Tuesday. Actually surprised Murdoch has played as much as he has

31 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
1 hour ago, North British said:
The conundrum is that McGavin is up here to play , and with Murdoch and Chalmers both having good games on Friday , it’s not obvious how to get him into the team in the current formation . 

Both of them could be doing with a rest if we continue to play Saturday Tuesday. Actually surprised Murdoch has played as much as he has

Agree with that - hopefully a full week's training and without having to play on a Dundee mud heap on Tuesday should mean MK is able to make that call - Chalmers and Murdoch have both done well but maybe one of them might need a breather/rest by now. Certainly need to see if McGavin adds anything to what we have - Friday in that wind, with us chasin' the game and not a lot of time left wasn't the basis for McGavin to make an impression. Maybe we'l have to wait a bit longer for that? 

On 08/02/2021 at 19:02, rb123! said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55939972

In today's random news Bitcoin has reached a record high price today.

Unsure if that has any impact on our association with Bitcoin.....

Our association is with Bitcoin SV, which doesn't track as closely to Bitcoin as you might expect. It's worth about half what it was a year ago.

Since Mark Kerr only signed an 18 month deal are we likely to hear anything about a contract extension anytime soon?

I expect some people would rather we held off until the end of the season. Personally though I feel he deserves (and also would expect him) to get another year so the sooner it's done the better in my opinion to allow us to plan some more for next season.

1 hour ago, GaryMc93 said:

Since Mark Kerr only signed an 18 month deal are we likely to hear anything about a contract extension anytime soon?

I expect some people would rather we held off until the end of the season. Personally though I feel he deserves (and also would expect him) to get another year so the sooner it's done the better in my opinion to allow us to plan some more for next season.

He’s done very little so far to show he’s worthy of a new contract. Him (And Mick) getting a new contract should be entirely depending on the end result of this season.

FWIW given he has been allowed to sign several players or two year deals I suspect the board see him as a long term option and only relegation this season would see them give him the bullet. 

2 hours ago, GaryMc93 said:

I wouldn't be that bothered if he didn't get a new contract tbh. He was the textbook definition of a "meh" appointment and there's been nothing during his tenure that's changed my mind about that.

He’ll be given a new contract but the club will probably wait to see if there’s a better time to announce it I.e after a good run or when we get a playoff spot. Smith definitely has a long term project envisioned and Kerr seems to be the man he wants to be a part of that. I also think it’ll be interesting to see what we do in the summer. We were ambitious last summer in the market with the 2 year deals and what we thought was the fairly decent quality of players so I’d imagine we’ll try and be ambitious again and bring in guys that will get us closer to a title challenge.

3 hours ago, GaryMc93 said:

I think the new signings have given us some renewed optimism, but we’re still as close to relegation as to a play off spot, so can’t see Kerr being renewed until that’s settled,  I’ve had the impression all season that some fans think we are “too good” to go down, but a glance at the form table and the actual table tells a very different story.  

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

He’s done very little so far to show he’s worthy of a new contract. Him (And Mick) getting a new contract should be entirely depending on the end result of this season.

FWIW given he has been allowed to sign several players or two year deals I suspect the board see him as a long term option and only relegation this season would see them give him the bullet. 

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I wouldn't be that bothered if he didn't get a new contract tbh. He was the textbook definition of a "meh" appointment and there's been nothing during his tenure that's changed my mind about that.

57 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I think the new signings have given us some renewed optimism, but we’re still as close to relegation as to a play off spot, so can’t see Kerr being renewed until that’s settled,  I’ve had the impression all season that some fans think we are “too good” to go down, but a glance at the form table and the actual table tells a very different story.  

Yeah I suppose I was being generous on his actual performance meriting a new contract.

More based on the 2 year deals he was allowed to offer and Smith talking Kerr up in the press and that I doubt he''ll want to be seen as some trigger happy chairman right away given Cameron was always the type to give managers time. 

3 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Yeah I suppose I was being generous on his actual performance meriting a new contract.

More based on the 2 year deals he was allowed to offer and Smith talking Kerr up in the press and that I doubt he''ll want to be seen as some trigger happy chairman right away given Cameron was always the type to give managers time. 

I would be astounded if Kerr is not Ayr United manager next season  , he needs a chance to show what he can do with no Covid restrictions