The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

31 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Sometimes in football you just get a team that causes the other problems, it could be down to formation, mentality, luck or just a random intangible. 

We've had two goalless draws against them and gained pass marks in both, nothing more. 

To suddenly suggest that our squad is equal to theirs is fanciful I'm afraid. Take their bench from Saturdays match against us (excluding their young sub goalie) :

McInroy, O'Hara, McCann, Murray, Mayo and MacDonald. 

Each of them would be regularly starting for us or certainly be making a big contribution to our starting eleven. They are on Dunfermline’s bench. 

Dunfermline’s playing budget will dwarf ours and its that which gets you quality and strength in depth. 

The final league table wont be far away from the playing budgets for each team. 

The Dunfermline fans were raving about Bruce Anderson and our own Cammy Smith would walk into the starting 11 of any team in this league as would a fully fit Tom Walsh.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The Dunfermline fans were raving about Bruce Anderson and our own Cammy Smith would walk into the starting 11 of any team in this league as would a fully fit Tom Walsh.

I dare say some fans of Aberdeen or St Mirren were warning us about Shankland when we signed him. It's what happens with loan signings, some work, a lot fail. 

I generally applaud your enthusiasm but Smith and Walsh wouldn't walk into the starting eleven of every team in the league. 

That's just wrong. 

Edited by BukyOHare

17 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

It’s hardly a massive bench, filled with brilliant players. You are hugely overplaying it. Youth players plus three loanees and O’Hara. 

I don’t particularly think any of those players would be starting for us on the Dunfermline bench though. Potentially Mayo, but I’ve not seen enough of him.  

We started with Zanatta up front on Saturday and you somehow don't think that O'Hara and McCann would start for us? Baffling. 

Its all about opinions I suppose. 

12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

They are both decent, though Walsh is rarely fit, but thats plainly not true. There are very few players who would be an automatic pick anywhere in the league. Craig Gordon and Charlie Adam are two. Not convinced there is another in the division to be honest.

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I dare say some fans of Aberdeen or St Mirren were warning us about Shankland when we signed him. It's what happens with loan signings, some work, a lot fail. 

I generally applaud your enthusiasm but Smith and Walsh wouldn't walk into the starting eleven of every team in the league. 

That's just wrong. 

You just get the impression that some wont be happy until we've a team full of 35 year old league 1 journeymen and ex Ayrshire juniors and being pumped by East Fife and Montrose every other week.

Just now, BukyOHare said:

We started with Zanatta up front on Saturday and you somehow don't think that O'Hara and McCann would start for us? Baffling. 

We have a new striker now. 
O’Hara has barely scored for them regardless. 
My point is baffling and yet McCann would start for us despite, apparently not having a goal to his name. 

My general point was about the squad on paper, being why I said it hasn’t worked out that way. At the start of the season most sides in the league would have been happy with Anderson as their striker. 

I find it mental that Neilson never gave Smith a proper run as a number 10 in behind Shankland last season. Fair enough Nicky Clark is a great striker at this level but I don’t see another attacking midfielder better than Smith in this league right now. Scott Banks is maybe going to be a real standout when he gets going with Dunfermline but that’s about it for me.

As for Dunfermline I don’t think there’s much between us and them man for man but they started the season well and were playing to their strengths as well. However outside of their defence I’m not sure I’d be that desperate for any of their players. I’ve always liked Kyle Turner but I don’t think he fits into our team right now.

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Which was an egregious exception which ought not to happen again. 😡 

9 hours ago, WATTOO said:

You just get the impression that some wont be happy until we've a team full of 35 year old league 1 journeymen and ex Ayrshire juniors and being pumped by East Fife and Montrose every other week.

So you come up with this nonsense because I happened to disagree that Smith and Walsh would walk into any team in the league? 

That seems fair and balanced. 

17 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Glad that Jordan White is away to Ross County and we can put to bed any fear of him arriving at Somerset. How he manages to get employment in the Prem is beyond me 

We've got Andre Wright, not Jordan White, cos he is shite!!

12 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t see another attacking midfielder better than Smith in this league right now

I've got no doubt he is a very good player at this level but to be the best in the league, you'd hope we'd have output on a more consistent level than we have seen so far. Fingers crossed that happens, his form between now and the end of the season will go a long way to deciding whether we are in the playoffs or not. 

12 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

As for Dunfermline I don’t think there’s much between us and them man for man

I hope the league table says you're right and I'm wrong come the end of the season. 👍

14 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

O’Hara has barely scored for them regardless

4 league goals, despite averaging about 35 minutes of playing time. 

That's1 more than anybody in our team to save you looking. 

I think he'd be an excellent summer transfer for us if he was available. Kerr would be fully aware of him from their time at Falkirk. 

I do also get it that a striker should not solely be judged on his goals, see my post about Andre earlier in this thread. It doesn't do any harm if he does though. O'Hara got 10 Championship goals in a part time team last season. 

4 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

So you come up with this nonsense because I happened to disagree that Smith and Walsh would walk into any team in the league? 

That seems fair and balanced. 

I wasn't specifically getting at you, but being honest I'm just totally sick of reading all the constant sniping and negativity on here. Personally speaking I'm pissed off enough right now and feeling pretty scunnered and the last thing I can be bothered with is reading the constant doom and gloom on here when most of it isn't justified.

Even the new guys we've signed have been questioned before a ball has been kicked and our draw at EEP which at any other time would be seen as a very good result is somehow being portrayed by many as yet another failure.

I may be over reacting,  but as I say, I'm just sick of it.

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Even the new guys we've signed have been questioned before a ball has been kicked and our draw at EEP which at any other time would be seen as a very good result is somehow being portrayed by many as yet another failure.

Right okay, we drew against Dunfermline 0-0. We never went to Ibrox or Parkhead or even Tynecastle. Considering our form and the fact that we haven't won the 7 league games. A 0-0 draw against the mighty Dunfermline isn't something to constantly boast about. 

19 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

4 league goals, despite averaging about 35 minutes of playing time. 

That's1 more than anybody in our team to save you looking. 

I think he'd be an excellent summer transfer for us if he was available. Kerr would be fully aware of him from their time at Falkirk. 

I do also get it that a striker should not solely be judged on his goals, see my post about Andre earlier in this thread. It doesn't do any harm if he does though. O'Hara got 10 Championship goals in a part time team last season. 

He did well last season. I’m underselling him, however you are most definitely over selling the Dunfermline squad. D’Jaffo sums it up well!

24 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I wasn't specifically getting at you, but being honest I'm just totally sick of reading all the constant sniping and negativity on here. Personally speaking I'm pissed off enough right now and feeling pretty scunnered and the last thing I can be bothered with is reading the constant doom and gloom on here when most of it isn't justified.

When has this actually happened? The overall reaction to Wright was very positive.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

When has this actually happened? The overall reaction to Wright was very positive.

It's probably just in my imagination and I'm just being neurotic.

19 hours ago, rb123! said:

Play offs have just got a lot harder with Dundee signing Jason Cummings ffs

16 goals in last 91 appearances, certainly not the prolific scorer from his Hibernian days , I can just imagine what Ayr fans would say if we signed a forward with that record ?