The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

If we don't beat Alloa and worse case scenario lose, we are in the shits big style, like near relegation battle, then those 3 games don't look favourable for picking up many points.

Difficult to say how we're going to play though because we've only played twice in the last 5 weeks, however both performances were nothing scintillating.

Was looking at highlights of last few games before lockdown in March and even then on pitches which were nothing great we were still playing half decent football, so i think a lot of it this season is down to the personnel Kerr has brought in, or the fact they've not lived up to expectations. Made me realise too how many good players we've lost since last season, Doohan, Harvie, Forrest, Kelly and Drinan to an extent who've gone on to much better things. On top of that Houston is a shadow of himself and Roscoe i would say has gone backwards, watching those did make me appreciate a bit more that extent of rebuild Kerr had to do, would definitely say though last season our team had a lot more pace in it, especially the midfield, our play was much quicker up the park from back to front. 

We need to start seeing that style of play again pronto

Harbinger of doom found ⬆️ 

43 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Well with 3 wins from 12 we're hardly setting the form table on fire are we......

Playing not to expectations and only 7 points off second place , 2 new signings and if they improve the team then that position could change rather quickly , did not look out of place on Saturday playing the currently( on league positions) second best team away from home and should have snatched a win , 

14 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Playing not to expectations and only 7 points off second place , 2 new signings and if they improve the team then that position could change rather quickly , did not look out of place on Saturday playing the currently( on league positions) second best team away from home and should have snatched a win , 

While maybe not spectacular, I thought we were quite solid on Saturday.  Hopefully the new lad can add an extra something in the final third, which is where I though we were a bit lacking.  

It's funny, some of the games we've lost this year have come about due to moments of madness more than anything else.  If those small periods of self-destruction can be sorted out, we'll be sitting further up the table than we currently are.  

10 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Play offs have just got a lot harder with Dundee signing Jason Cummings ffs

Nothings really changed , everyone knew in July that Hearts , Dunfermline and Dundee would occupy three of the top four places . Hopefully we can change our fortunes a bit and put up a fight for the last slot . Between us Morton , Rovers ,  Inverness and Queen of the. south I’d say . 

13 minutes ago, North British said:

Nothings really changed , everyone knew in July that Hearts , Dunfermline and Dundee would occupy three of the top four places . Hopefully we can change our fortunes a bit and put up a fight for the last slot . Between us Morton , Rovers ,  Inverness and Queen of the. south I’d say . 

Totally this. Don't dismiss the notion that the part time teams can take points off any team in any given week either. What that does is compress the other 7 teams closer together. I don't see the 4th placed team having that many more points than the 5th place team come the end of the season. 

I was really impressed by Arbroath's tempo, work rate and application last Friday against Dundee. 

To get into the playoffs will be an absolute slog, week in week out. It's not about who plays the silkiest football, it's about who can grind out results when they're short through injuries or suspensions or when they're not 100% firing. 

Let's see how Ndaba and Wright improve things, not only by their playing ability but also with their physicality. 

Edited by BukyOHare

Mentality is a big thing as well.  Morton last night a good example - 2-1 and a man down after half an hour v ICT but didnt chuck it and battled back for a point.  Plus the game against us where they were dead and buried yet got the 3 late goals.  You couldnt imagine our team doing either of those! 

That said - I'm confident of beating Alloa, although it's absolutely imperative we get the first goal.  

1 hour ago, North British said:

I don’t see Dunfermline’s squad as being any better than ours tbh. No reason we shouldn’t be challenging them. 

They clearly are far better, but that’s a different point. 

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

Play offs have just got a lot harder with Dundee signing Jason Cummings ffs

If we're terrified of a guy who's scored the grand total of 4 goals in 35 appearances for the mighty Shrewsbury, then by God, we really do have problems !!!

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t see Dunfermline’s squad as being any better than ours tbh. No reason we shouldn’t be challenging them. 

They clearly are far better, but that’s a different point. 

Sometimes in football you just get a team that causes the other problems, it could be down to formation, mentality, luck or just a random intangible. 

We've had two goalless draws against them and gained pass marks in both, nothing more. 

To suddenly suggest that our squad is equal to theirs is fanciful I'm afraid. Take their bench from Saturdays match against us (excluding their young sub goalie) :

McInroy, O'Hara, McCann, Murray, Mayo and MacDonald. 

Each of them would be regularly starting for us or certainly be making a big contribution to our starting eleven. They are on Dunfermline’s bench. 

Dunfermline’s playing budget will dwarf ours and its that which gets you quality and strength in depth. 

The final league table wont be far away from the playing budgets for each team. 

Edited by BukyOHare

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If we're terrified of a guy who's scored the grand total of 4 goals in 35 appearances for the mighty Shrewsbury, then by God, we really do have problems !!!

Yeah, living off a reputation from a few years ago with Hibs. That being said, he's still young enough to turn his career round.

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah, living off a reputation from a few years ago with Hibs. That being said, he's still young enough to turn his career round.

There was the same hype surrounding the last ex Rangers, ex English League 1, striker that Dundee signed last year and he didn't exactly strike fear into the rest of the league.

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Would he get into our starting eleven and improve us massively overall? 

Let's play fair, this thread would be in a meltdown of positivity if he'd signed for us. 

If he gets fit and the proper service , he should tear the Championship up. 

20 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Sometimes in football you just get a team that causes the other problems, it could be down to formation, mentality, luck or just a random intangible. 

We've had two goalless draws against them and gained pass marks in both, nothing more. 

To suddenly suggest that our squad is equal to theirs is fanciful I'm afraid. Take their bench from Saturdays match against us (excluding their young sub goalie) :

McInroy, O'Hara, McCann, Murray, Mayo and MacDonald. 

Each of them would be regularly starting for us or certainly be making a big contribution to our starting eleven. They are on Dunfermline’s bench. 

Dunfermline’s playing budget will dwarf ours and its that which gets you quality and strength in depth. 

The final league table wont be far away from the playing budgets for each team. 

It’s hardly a massive bench, filled with brilliant players. You are hugely overplaying it. Youth players plus three loanees and O’Hara. 

I don’t particularly think any of those players would be starting for us on the Dunfermline bench though. Potentially Mayo, but I’ve not seen enough of him.  

12 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Would he get into our starting eleven and improve us massively overall? 

Let's play fair, this thread would be in a meltdown of positivity if he'd signed for us. 

If he gets fit and the proper service , he should tear the Championship up. 

The bloke we've just signed has a more impressive read across than Cummings post Hibs.