The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

On the subject of Motherwell, Robbie Crawford showing up fine against Rangers and not looking out of place. Another one to be passed off by too many of the fan base as being not good enough. 

He'd walk into our current midfield. 

Edited by BukyOHare

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

On the subject of Motherwell, Robbie Crawford showing up fine against Rangers and not looking out of place. Another one to be passed off by too many of the fan base as being not good enough. 

I'd walk into our current midfield atm.

Crawford would be a breath of fresh air to our midfield. He’d cover more than twice the amount of ground Chalmers covers.

Can imagine it would split opinion if he ever came back considering loads of fans never rated him for reasons that weren’t his fault.

26 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

He’s played a handful of games for them. No different from his time here where he could be brilliant one game then go missing for a few weeks 

38 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

He’s played a handful of games for them. No different from his time here where he could be brilliant one game then go missing for a few weeks 

Aye alright. 😂😂

The difference being he's now going "missing" in the SPL as opposed to  League 1. 

Baffling. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Crawford would be a breath of fresh air to our midfield. He’d cover more than twice the amount of ground Chalmers covers.

Can imagine it would split opinion if he ever came back considering loads of fans never rated him for reasons that weren’t his fault.

Too many in our support don't seem to rate players who leave and better themselves.

The abuse, and yes it was abuse, that too many of our players got in there time with us has always baffled me.

Players who went onto play at a much higher level than ourselves and even played at international level. 

Yet still weren't "good enough".🙈🙈

McCall bears a good chunk of responsibility for the fan's view of Crawford imo.

He barely played him in the middle and continually shoehorned him into the team out wide where he had little to no impact. Theres no doubt Crawford was a capable player but he wasn't Lionel Messi despite what McCall claimed, did he liken him to Messi or was it Scottish footballs best kept secret? I cant remember which.

I'd welcome him back and he'd certainly be an upgrade on the existing midfielders. However, it ain't happening.

Edited by Trogdor

16 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Aye alright. 😂😂

The difference being he's now going "missing" in the SPL as opposed to  League 1. 

Baffling. 

No doubt Crawford could put performances in way above the level we played at. Consistency was the key though and he didn’t do it often enough. Others with less ability started before him as more likely to make an impact. Would certainly take him back though and would stroll into our current midfield  

20 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The bottom line for me is that you simply can't play a fast slick passing attacking style in Scotland in the middle of winter, so you either adapt or fail.

I'm not saying what you're saying is wrong but what about the pitches we saw through the 70s, 80s and even into the 90s? 

They weren't the perfect surfaces we hope to see nowadays. When you think of the top players from these eras and even those who excelled at our level, they were skilful technical players who could control the ball on any surface, go past a player on any surface, cross and score on any surface and tackle and pass on any surface. 

The "perfect" surfaces that players are used to now through their training as youth players and now play on as first team players definitely develop different skills in the game and how it's played. Possibly to the detriment of the game when winter comes? 

There's a reliance on a perfect surface and that if a surface is bobbly, worn or uneven then its negatively affecting performances. 

Have a watch of some of our games through the eras and you'll still see fine attacking play. 

Even watching my kids' games when they were on, if it isn't on 4g pitches, which is what they train on, then they generally struggle, it's no different in the senior game really. 

Edited by BukyOHare

35 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

No doubt Crawford could put performances in way above the level we played at. Consistency was the key though and he didn’t do it often enough. Others with less ability started before him as more likely to make an impact. Would certainly take him back though and would stroll into our current midfield 

I think Crawford would be welcome back at Ayr if we were playing at the top end of our potential, however at the moment we are nowhere near that . In short we have too many piano players and not enough piono lifters .

Whats the latest on striker watch ? Loko , Hamilton , Drinan , Whitehall . ? Has/is  Cameron returned to Killie ? Is Smith out of contract yet ? 

37 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Any decent shouts on strikers?

I was on Drinan watch yesterday and he came off the bench for 30 mins. I dont think he is an option given he is getting time for Ipswich.

Jack Hamilton or Jordan White imo. 

45 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Any decent shouts on strikers?

I was on Drinan watch yesterday and he came off the bench for 30 mins. I dont think he is an option given he is getting time for Ipswich.

No need to sign anyone just now, kinda looks like the season will be curtailed/suspended on Monday 

2 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

No need to sign anyone just now, kinda looks like the season will be curtailed/suspended on Monday 

That you taking stuff from Somerset road end as gospel?

Edited by ayrunitedfw

17 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I dunno. Although watching us makes my eyes bleed right now and as such I want this season into the sea as quickly as possible. I really can't see the season being cancelled, I could see a pause happening but with testing regimes now implemented and vaccines being rolled out we really are getting toward the end of this fucking nightmare. 

Edited by Trogdor

8 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

7 clubs already stated in today’s papers saying they wish to continue season 

Yeah. All teams have indicated they wish to continue as far as I know. Scot Gardiner at Inverness was on Sportsound yesterday clarifying that this was also his clubs stance and quotes from John Robertson in one of the papers had been taking out of context. 

Now that testing is in place I see no reason why the season can’t be played to a completion. Obviously if case numbers rise considerably then this would need to be looked at. 

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

That's a wild take, did you get that from Facebook?