The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Young team with lots of changes, yes a few questions about players signed for me especially Zanatta who when he signed I was so excited after seeing him at Firhill last year but what a disappointment of a boy I have been slated for speaking about him and can see why teams have moved him on loads of hidden ability and zero work rate and shit scared in the tackle if there’s a luxury in the team it’s him.

i was amazed Kerr changed the back four today to accommodate Reading who has been awfull and how he gets in the under 21, I have noticed they don’t play him as a left back but in midfield so perhaps we are missing something but surely Kerr sees that too.

Although I am reserved at the moment on Kerr I stick with my previous comment that as long as he is near the top four which he is then it’s job done, getting in and staying there I just don’t see it as previously posted and was slated because we have had a couple of decent results. He will get the season regardless as the chairman tends to support managers unless it gets really dire.

24 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Kerr has been in charge post McCall, lost 3-4 big players and has managed us through 6 months of quarantine so it hasn't been easy. He needs to get the January window right though and improve the team. Get us playing in a way that gives fans confidence that he has the ability to manage at this level or more fans will be vocal about the performance. 

This is the big thing for me, granted I haven't seen all the games this season but even the ones I have seen, including the victories, I haven't been particularly impressed. Anderson looked a good signing at the time and I'm not convinced he's chucked it, but more that Kerr is not utilising or supporting him properly.

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Anderson has looked isolated and has made plenty of runs but never sees the ball, he's now starting to drop deep and has lost confidence but that's what happens and isn't really his fault at all.

Despite the anger and depression over our performances / results, we're no worse than any of our biggest rivals who are also having a bad time of it, Dunfermline losing a three goal lead today after a poor result last week, Inverness beaten by Alloa after leading and despite their comeback Dundee massively underachieving and under performing in relation to their wage bill.

I agree our football hasn't been good at all this season and Kerr appears to have added an extra defensive layer which has sacrificed our flowing attacking style, however that said we're more or less in the same league position as last season and where most would have expected.

I keep reading about "McCall" but look at the state of that Partick team of his if a reality check is required !!

As for Kerr, I'm pretty sure that the "play offs" would have been the top target with safety the main priority and despite everything his report card so far would likely read "pass" but could do better.........

When you have Smith, Moffat and McCowan all playing in a forward linking roll, you need a forward to make space for themselves or make runs for them to find, Anderson does none of that.  Either he is hiding or we are set up for him to be nowhere near the action, either way, it is pointless having him in the squad. 

To say we are no worse than our rivals is like saying we are the worlds tallest short person, we need to be as good as we can be rather than hoping we are slightly less shit that everyone else. 

The McCall analogy is like saying look at Berti Vogts or Pellegrini or even Ally MaCleod, managers have success at some clubs and not at others, he had relative success at Partick previously. McCall might well have taken us as far as he could as a club when he left but the level he took us to was higher than we are performing currently. 

I hope Kerr succeeds, if we are consistent and competent and develop, finish fourth and go out in the first round of the play-offs then I would not be critical of him at all, even the first 3 of those would show he was the right man for the job and I hope he is. His after match interview showed he was as frustrated as the fans but only he can put it right. 

If I'm being honest, I never really thought we'd get top 4 this season, I actually predicted we'd finish 5th. That being said, Kerr has made errors this season and today was his biggest to date. Today was a great chance for us to climb the table as teams dropped points and Raith weren't playing. I was expecting a victory today but once again we capitulated and it won't be the last time this season. 

55 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Thought Anderson was a cracking signing for you guys. Would love to have him at East End right now. 

Like the post above states, we are playing crap right now. Think there's a fag paper between everybody outside Hearts right now.

100% all of this.

Looking at our next three games, how many points do you think we'll wrack up?

26th Dec Hearts (Away) - Not expecting anything. This game is a free hit.

29th Dec Morton (Home) - Morton seem to have discovered a way to win. I'd still expect us to eek out a win.

2nd Jan QoS (Away) - We're jinxed at Palmerston. I'll go with a draw, even though QoS are terrible we cannot win down there. 

I make that 4 which isn't great but realistic?

15 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Looking at our next three games, how many points do you think we'll wrack up?

26th Dec Hearts (Away) - Not expecting anything. This game is a free hit.

29th Dec Morton (Home) - Morton seem to have discovered a way to win. I'd still expect us to eek out a win.

2nd Jan QoS (Away) - We're jinxed at Palmerston. I'll go with a draw, even though QoS are terrible we cannot win down there. 

I make that 4 which isn't great but realistic?

Who knows, we could end up coming out of it with zero or nine which is the problem just now. 

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

We were a top 4 side with McCall, I don't think we would have been under a full season with Kerr, we were bang average for the most part he was in charge last season. He made mistakes which any rational fan would expect. He also made unexpected changes that have impressed me that McCall wouldn't have made.

This season, the players that have came in have been mostly poor. We have looked uncomfortable for the majority of the season. From the outside we have had a solid defense. Anyone who has watched us will not understand how we kept 4 clean sheets on a row. Arbroath could have taken 6 off us today and the majority of fans would have said, aye, saw that coming. 

Zanatta and Anderson don't look interested, Zanatta has looked like that at every club he has played for, Anderson, it looks like he doesn't want to be here, That is up to Kerr to do his homework on players. Cameron appears to have been signed because of his size rather than ability. Miller is a David Ferguson type, fills in well but if you rely on him he lets you down. 

No player has progressed under Kerr, not one player has got better in the last year. We are playing 4 forward players and would be lucky if we have had over 10 shots at goal in the last 3 games, we invite pressure and look panicked in defense. 

If we finish top 4 with this squad, it will purely be down to other teams shooting themselves in the foot. 

Kerr has been in charge post McCall, lost 3-4 big players and has managed us through 6 months of quarantine so it hasn't been easy. He needs to get the January window right though and improve the team. Get us playing in a way that gives fans confidence that he has the ability to manage at this level or more fans will be vocal about the performance. 

Luke McCowan worries me, his attitude is terrible at times on the pitch and he has gone backwards on last season

Most frustrating thing from today is as people say the other results favoured us, everyone else fucked up, only 1 team in the top 8 won today, which was Morton, who seem to have suddenly gone from being on the brink of survival to sneaking by everyone into 3rd in the league. 

If we'd won we would have been 2nd only 3 points off top which would have made next week semi interesting, instead we're 5th and looking over our shoulders only 2 points off 7th.

Days like today where you can't mess up when others do, we have to capitalise on others but we're constantly shooting ourselves in the foot just now at pivotal times. 

Feels as if today was a massive missed opportunity. 

I have basically scrolled past the last 2 and a bit pages of absolutel drivel! Really fed up with knee jerk reactions to a loss! This place is getting very like the honest page! 

does anyone remember where we were before McCall took over (not trying to be funny)...

My only complaint would be that Anderson is not a 9, I did say that before we signed him. We are blunt in attack and I’m not sure we can sort this before January unless we can get someone in short term.  What is Antony stokes doing?

I think they struggle to get up the pitch, especially when Moff is playing so deep. I struggle to identify patterns of play and the players still don't seem to know where their teammates are or what runs they will make.

I would've loved to see a ball control clinic at Arbroath yesterday. Playing a winless team with presumably low confidence, it was important not to give them anything to defend.  Didn't work out. You'd think they'll improve as a team as the season goes on.

Mark Kerr is a weird one. Did the club get it wrong appointing him? Probably. Have results got bad enough to justifiably sack him? Probably not.

The two main concerns for me is 1) We simply do not create anything. Other than a 5 minute spell at the beginning of the 2nd half we never looked like scoring 2) When we concede one we almost certainly concede a 2nd and sometimes 3rd straight after. That’s a mentality thing surely. 

Now that the heat of battle (and disappointment) has subsided, I think I can venture an opinion about yesterday. My biggest worry so far is the lack of much if anything from our midfielders. Somehow we need to get people in there who can release the front 2 or 3 or even 4 strikers where we have loads of goalscoring potential in Smith, MacCowan, Moffat and Anderson. There just doesn't look like we have enough creativity in midfield to get the right ball to the frontmen - I don't (yet) see a role for Zanatta while we have this problem to solve. The return of a (hopefully) fit Walsh may give us that missing link but I'm worried he's not going to be able to do it often enough - the length of time he's been out is surely a  concern. I'm also still not sure why we persist with Roscoe when there's a better option than him in there, currently playing at right back. Lastly, my doubts about yesterday's game (weather and Arbroath needing a result desperately) seem to have been accurate - they played well all over the pitch and totally deserved their first win in difficult conditions (always a leveller). We didnt' deserve anything and I'm certain MK knows that. A hard week for the players beckons before Christmas. Onwards, COYA     

I think they struggle to get up the pitch, especially when Moff is playing so deep. I struggle to identify patterns of play and the players still don't seem to know where their teammates are or what runs they will make.

I would've loved to see a ball control clinic at Arbroath yesterday. Playing a winless team with presumably low confidence, it was important not to give them anything to defend.  Didn't work out. You'd think they'll improve as a team as the season goes on.
We're already over a third into the season and I've seen little evidence of "improvements"