The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I can only direct you to our experience of rookie managers over a period of decades.  Every appointment is a gamble to some extent, but as in every other walk of life, a proven track record of delivery should always be part of the recruitment process.  

Our previous appointments of inexperienced managers has no correlation to appointing Mark Kerr. Mark Roberts truly was the cheap option as I don’t recall there ever being an interview process when Reid left. Kerr did and after several conversations with our chairman was deemed to be the right choice. How can we call that a cheap option?

And given the experienced managers touted with the job I really don’t think Kerr is doing a worse job than any of them would have.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Our previous appointments of inexperienced managers has no correlation to appointing Mark Kerr. Mark Roberts truly was the cheap option as I don’t recall there ever being an interview process when Reid left. Kerr did and after several conversations with our chairman was deemed to be the right choice. How can we call that a cheap option?

And given the experienced managers touted with the job I really don’t think Kerr is doing a worse job than any of them would have.

Unfortunately Cameron has a track record of lousy managerial appointments, probably because he doesn’t actually know that much about football and does indeed make decisions based on a gut feeling after a few conversations.  By his own admission, he’d never even heard of McCall until Lennon and McInnes recommended him.
The thing that baffles me most is that whatever chance Roberts might have had as a manager was undermined by the decision to team him up with a boys club manager.  We brought in Andy Millen in his second season to try and help, but the the damage was long done by then.  And now we’ve only gone and committed to the same path with Kerr.  

Unfortunately Cameron has a track record of lousy managerial appointments, probably because he doesn’t actually know that much about football and does indeed make decisions based on a gut feeling after a few conversations.  By his own admission, he’d never even heard of McCall until Lennon and McInnes recommended him.
The thing that baffles me most is that whatever chance Roberts might have had as a manager was undermined by the decision to team him up with a boys club manager.  We brought in Andy Millen in his second season to try and help, but the the damage was long done by then.  And now we’ve only gone and committed to the same path with Kerr.  

Would any of us considered McCall before he was appointed? No, probably not.

Roberts never had a chance. He was never managerial material and should’ve been sacked after his second season in charge.

2 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Would you call that in individual defeat? 

I'm not entirely sure if the in was meant to be an, if so yes I would.  It's all just a bit roaster reaction, I'd have more respect for it if I believed folk genuinely believed it rather than throw a tantrum after Morton, get over it, throw a tantrum after Livingston and get over it, we now have it after Arbroath, results following will determine whether folk get over it but I'd wager we will be back here on boxing Day and hear f**k all else for a few weeks afterwards.  

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'm not entirely sure if the in was meant to be an, if so yes I would.  It's all just a bit roaster reaction, I'd have more respect for it if I believed folk genuinely believed it rather than throw a tantrum after Morton, get over it, throw a tantrum after Livingston and get over it, we now have it after Arbroath, results following will determine whether folk get over it but I'd wager we will be back here on boxing Day and hear f**k all else for a few weeks afterwards.  

Thank you for putting it better than I can muster this evening. Usual suspects bringing up the "laptop", Mark Roberts and Sandy Stewart! Then expecting to be taken seriously.

The league was always going to be tight this season with less matches and playing without fans. Outside of Hearts most teams are of a similar standard and I’m not sure anyone has put together much of a consistent run.

Curious to know if the people wanting Kerr sacked genuine think we’re in danger of being relegated or have fan expectations been raised that much in the last couple of years that even a mid-table finish is now unacceptable.

Bit of a rabbit in the headlights look from Kerr, he's kidding himself on blaming the wind in the first half and then saying we were on the front foot in the second half. Think the summarisation of saying there wasn't much in the game is the most concerning aspect for me.

*to be fair to him he did say about questions being asked of him and his players so at least he's aware that it's not good enough just now

Edited by rb123!

38 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Thank you for putting it better than I can muster this evening. Usual suspects bringing up the "laptop", Mark Roberts and Sandy Stewart! Then expecting to be taken seriously.

We’ve been rank rotten all season.  Please let the usual suspects know when it’s ok for this to become a legitimate concern.

May be an individual defeat but you're kidding yourself if you think performances have been up to standard so far this season. Team selections/tactics have been all over the place and as it stands we don't look like a team that will be finishing in the promotion play offs

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

What’s so good about an experienced manager? Plenty experienced managers out there that would’ve been disastrous appointments.

Kerr is on the same wage any new manager coming in would’ve been on so the “cheap option” excuse is still as nonsense as ever.

If they had turned out to be disastrous we would probably see that fairly quickly and could do something about it. Likewise I think greater early demands can be placed on a more experienced person. With a rookie manager you need to give them time to learn in the job. There is also a grey area where the performances are poor but you dont make a change incase they come good. Perhaps the covid situation makes it more difficult to judge but I can’t really say what direction Kerr’s managerial career will go 

Don’t understand why we’re struggling so much up front this season. On paper we have great attacking players yet it’s been laboured. Never expected a defeat today tbh, especially with Arbroath being winless in the league. Livi was a kick in the teeth but this one disappointed me even more. Throw in the shit news about lockdown from the 26th and it just sums up the day - absolute shit 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Don’t understand why we’re struggling so much up front this season. On paper we have great attacking players yet it’s been laboured. Never expected a defeat today tbh, especially with Arbroath being winless in the league. Livi was a kick in the teeth but this one disappointed me even more. Throw in the shit news about lockdown from the 26th and it just sums up the day - absolute shit 

Aye you can wave bon voyage to getting into Somerset this season unfortunately 

Edited by rb123!

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I think it’s our style of play. Kerr has stated numerous times about needing to play differently in the winter months and not play our passing football. So we tend to just shit fest and don’t get the ball down and into the feet of our attacking players. We don’t remotely play to their strengths. We have the type of players to play how we did at the start of last season but we choose to play “percentage” balls constantly. 

Pitches and the weather might not be the best, but as Raith showed against us there is nothing stopping you playing good football. Maybe not quite as effectively but it can still work. 

Edited by No_Problemo

We were a top 4 side with McCall, I don't think we would have been under a full season with Kerr, we were bang average for the most part he was in charge last season. He made mistakes which any rational fan would expect. He also made unexpected changes that have impressed me that McCall wouldn't have made.

This season, the players that have came in have been mostly poor. We have looked uncomfortable for the majority of the season. From the outside we have had a solid defense. Anyone who has watched us will not understand how we kept 4 clean sheets on a row. Arbroath could have taken 6 off us today and the majority of fans would have said, aye, saw that coming. 

Zanatta and Anderson don't look interested, Zanatta has looked like that at every club he has played for, Anderson, it looks like he doesn't want to be here, That is up to Kerr to do his homework on players. Cameron appears to have been signed because of his size rather than ability. Miller is a David Ferguson type, fills in well but if you rely on him he lets you down. 

No player has progressed under Kerr, not one player has got better in the last year. We are playing 4 forward players and would be lucky if we have had over 10 shots at goal in the last 3 games, we invite pressure and look panicked in defense. 

If we finish top 4 with this squad, it will purely be down to other teams shooting themselves in the foot. 

Kerr has been in charge post McCall, lost 3-4 big players and has managed us through 6 months of quarantine so it hasn't been easy. He needs to get the January window right though and improve the team. Get us playing in a way that gives fans confidence that he has the ability to manage at this level or more fans will be vocal about the performance. 

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

We were a top 4 side with McCall, I don't think we would have been under a full season with Kerr, we were bang average for the most part he was in charge last season. He made mistakes which any rational fan would expect. He also made unexpected changes that have impressed me that McCall wouldn't have made.

This season, the players that have came in have been mostly poor. We have looked uncomfortable for the majority of the season. From the outside we have had a solid defense. Anyone who has watched us will not understand how we kept 4 clean sheets on a row. Arbroath could have taken 6 off us today and the majority of fans would have said, aye, saw that coming. 

Zanatta and Anderson don't look interested, Zanatta has looked like that at every club he has played for, Anderson, it looks like he doesn't want to be here, That is up to Kerr to do his homework on players. Cameron appears to have been signed because of his size rather than ability. Miller is a David Ferguson type, fills in well but if you rely on him he lets you down. 

No player has progressed under Kerr, not one player has got better in the last year. We are playing 4 forward players and would be lucky if we have had over 10 shots at goal in the last 3 games, we invite pressure and look panicked in defense. 

If we finish top 4 with this squad, it will purely be down to other teams shooting themselves in the foot. 

Kerr has been in charge post McCall, lost 3-4 big players and has managed us through 6 months of quarantine so it hasn't been easy. He needs to get the January window right though and improve the team. Get us playing in a way that gives fans confidence that he has the ability to manage at this level or more fans will be vocal about the performance. 

Anderson has looked isolated and has made plenty of runs but never sees the ball, he's now starting to drop deep and has lost confidence but that's what happens and isn't really his fault at all.

Despite the anger and depression over our performances / results, we're no worse than any of our biggest rivals who are also having a bad time of it, Dunfermline losing a three goal lead today after a poor result last week, Inverness beaten by Alloa after leading and despite their comeback Dundee massively underachieving and under performing in relation to their wage bill.

I agree our football hasn't been good at all this season and Kerr appears to have added an extra defensive layer which has sacrificed our flowing attacking style, however that said we're more or less in the same league position as last season and where most would have expected.

I keep reading about "McCall" but look at the state of that Partick team of his if a reality check is required !!

As for Kerr, I'm pretty sure that the "play offs" would have been the top target with safety the main priority and despite everything his report card so far would likely read "pass" but could do better.........