The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

That's not you, it's Pixellot who have conceded their AI ball tracking system doesn't work as well as they intended and it needs a manual operator with a joystick to do the job instead. They are advertising for all 10 Championship grounds.

Ah i see

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Sinisalo is available for Saturday as Finland game isn’t till next Tuesday. Walsh still a few weeks away from fitness according to the AP

Wasn’t it quoted last week that he would be available for Stranraer? Or am I imagining that!

39 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Wasn’t it quoted last week that he would be available for Stranraer? Or am I imagining that!

Aye it was but here we are. Sadly I think we’ll be lucky to get 10 games out of Walsh this season which is frustrating as he’s clearly a class above this level. 

17 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Won’t be surprised if we don’t get double figures in actual full games from him, and that’s how we got him, made of glass terrible injury record season after season fortunately only a one year contract

A one year contract is the reason we got him. Sure we would have given him two if  it was an option.

11 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Hope it all goes to plan and we deliver the standards that all fans expect a la Morton would be great 

Yeah, I hope so. Saturday there felt like a step backwards tbh.

I think there's a lot to like about Morton's package. I like the prematch interview with the manager and the match build up is good too before kick off. 

On 08/11/2020 at 15:00, Skyline Drifter said:

It's obviously uncertain for all the reasons you say but it's pretty unlikely Ayr wouldn't get through with a win over Stranraer. A 2 or 3 goal win and you can probably count all the chickens you want.

I think there's only ever been one side (Peterhead a couple of years ago) made 9 points and not got through. It's possible someone will this year but unlikely it will be someone with a GD of at least +4 which is the minimum Ayr would have by beating Stranraer. In the first place Hamilton would need an aggregate 5 goal victory over Albion Rovers and Stranraer to pinch the group. They'd also need to score at least 6 goals in doing so.

In terms of best runner up, it's still possible every group could have a 9 point runner up though it's pretty unlikely in ours and can only happen if Morton beat St Mirren on penalties.
Group A - Hearts will win it with 1 point v E Fife. Raith can still get 9 as runners up but would need at least an aggregate 5 goal victory over ICT and Cowdenbeath to catch Ayr. East Fife could also get 9 if they actually beat Hearts and then also beat ICT.
Group B - If Dundee beat Cove then every chance both Hibs and Dundee will be better than 9 points and a better GD.
Group C - Possibility of 3 clubs all finishing on 9 but it's a long shot. If Dundee United beat St Johnstone on Tuesday they'll probably both finish above you but otherwise you'll be fine.
Group D - Assuming Ross County win out to win the group then Arbroath need to beat Elgin by 3 goals more than you beat Stranraer by to finish better. Elgin could in theory get 9 or more themselves but they've got Arbroath and County to play so that's a big ask.
Group E - A mess due to Kilmarnock's Covid nonsense but Dunfermline will presumably win the group with at least a point v Clyde. Falkirk can get 9 by winning at Dumbarton and are a goal behind you (thanks to being handed a 3 goal win v Kilmarnock).
Group G - As noted, runner up getting 9 is unlikely.
Group H - Livingston will probably win the group with at least 4 points from their last two games. If they do then Alloa can get runner up with 9 by beating Stenhousemuir. Again they are one behind in goal difference and have scored less so they'd need to win by at least two more than you do.

In short then, I'm pretty confident any Ayr win over Stranraer will get you through. It might well win the group and if it doesn't then I doubt there will be 4 better runners up. However, there's enough there or thereabouts that even a penalties win probably won't be enough.

So just to update after tonight with more clarity:

Annan's 5-1 win tonight is interesting and means you'll need to win any penalty shoot out with Stranraer to get 2nd but it doesn't really change anything in terms of progress. We'll know more tomorrow after Hamilton have played what your chances of winning the group are. However if you beat Stranraer by one goal you'll finish on 9 points and a GD of +4.

Group A - Hearts have won it. Runner up can't get more than 8 and probably aren't going through.
Group B - Hibs and Dundee already on 9. If they draw then both will finish ahead of you regardless of who wins the shoot out. A Hibs win by 3 or less will also keep both clubs above you. A Dundee win would see you finish better than Hibs though.
Group C - You are guaranteed to finish better than runner up in this one too. St Johnstone beating Peterhead on penalties would see both get 9 but you'd outdo Peterhead on GD. An outright win for either would see them win the group with United 2nd on 8. A Peterhead win on pens would see them win the group and United 2nd also.
Group D - Any Ross County win v Stirling combined with an Arbroath win 3 goals better than you or an Elgin win 4 goals better than you would see two sides finish better but it's a long shot.
Group E - Very likely both Falkirk and Dunfermline will finish better than you.
Group G - There is a scenario where Morton and St Mirren both get to 9 pts but it would need Morton to beat St Mirren on penalties tomorrow and then beat Partick Thistle by 4 goals. Very long shot.
Group H - Livingston will win the group. Alloa need to beat Stenny by at least 4 to finish better than you.

So you're pretty safe if you beat Stranraer in 90 mins. 9 points and +4 will finish above at least the runners up in groups A and C and probably also D, G and H would be worse than you. Anything less though will put you out assuming Hamilton get two wins. A penalty defeat will leave you behind Annan for a start. A penalty win with 8 pts and +3 probably isn't going to do it. It's likely the runner up in groups B, C, D, E and H would all be better.

So just to update after tonight with more clarity:
Annan's 5-1 win tonight is interesting and means you'll need to win any penalty shoot out with Stranraer to get 2nd but it doesn't really change anything in terms of progress. We'll know more tomorrow after Hamilton have played what your chances of winning the group are. However if you beat Stranraer by one goal you'll finish on 9 points and a GD of +4.
Group A - Hearts have won it. Runner up can't get more than 8 and probably aren't going through.
Group B - Hibs and Dundee already on 9. If they draw then both will finish ahead of you regardless of who wins the shoot out. A Hibs win by 3 or less will also keep both clubs above you. A Dundee win would see you finish better than Hibs though.
Group C - You are guaranteed to finish better than runner up in this one too. St Johnstone beating Peterhead on penalties would see both get 9 but you'd outdo Peterhead on GD. An outright win for either would see them win the group with United 2nd on 8. A Peterhead win on pens would see them win the group and United 2nd also.
Group D - Any Ross County win v Stirling combined with an Arbroath win 3 goals better than you or an Elgin win 4 goals better than you would see two sides finish better but it's a long shot.
Group E - Very likely both Falkirk and Dunfermline will finish better than you.
Group G - There is a scenario where Morton and St Mirren both get to 9 pts but it would need Morton to beat St Mirren on penalties tomorrow and then beat Partick Thistle by 4 goals. Very long shot.
Group H - Livingston will win the group. Alloa need to beat Stenny by at least 4 to finish better than you.
So you're pretty safe if you beat Stranraer in 90 mins. 9 points and +4 will finish above at least the runners up in groups A and C and probably also D, G and H would be worse than you. Anything less though will put you out assuming Hamilton get two wins. A penalty defeat will leave you behind Annan for a start. A penalty win with 8 pts and +3 probably isn't going to do it. It's likely the runner up in groups B, C, D, E and H would all be better.
Cheers for this.Richard Gordon said that our group wouldn't be likely to provide a 2nd place team. I couldn't be arsed working it out.

14 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Aye it was but here we are. Sadly I think we’ll be lucky to get 10 games out of Walsh this season which is frustrating as he’s clearly a class above this level. 

Zanatta and McCowan wide with Moffat and Anderson central on Saturday then you would assume 

I don’t want to sound like I’m moaning but I’m going to, is there any reason why buying a season ticket works out more expensive to watch the games than if I was just to buy each game every week

i just find it a little frustrating especially in these times trying to save money 

5 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Cheers for this.Richard Gordon said that our group wouldn't be likely to provide a 2nd place team. I couldn't be arsed working it out.

Likewise, I couldn't be bothered either. 

I'll take Skyline's analysis over Richard Gordon's any day of the week. 

54 minutes ago, ButAtWhatCost said:

I don’t want to sound like I’m moaning but I’m going to, is there any reason why buying a season ticket works out more expensive to watch the games than if I was just to buy each game every week

i just find it a little frustrating especially in these times trying to save money 

Yes, having a season ticket gets you into games when it's allowed, buying streams on a PPV basis, doesn't.