The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I can accept that there were technical difficulties yesterday that weren't there for the QoS screening - such is the nature of modern technology ("It was working well last week and it's the same set-up" - a phrase you often hear in IT). What bugs me more than anything is the poor positioning of the camera - surely we can get the gantry raised or moved without risking anything or spoiling someone's view in the stand (if there is anyone in there!). The commentary from Callum and Lauren is fine and very fair-minded, the half-time show is well worth watching. From what I've seen so far, Morton's package is the best and well done to them - wouldn't take that much to match what they do though.

As for the game - Moff could have scored in the first half if he'd been a little bit quicker than the defender who blocked the attempt. Thought Anderson was much better than last week, seemed to get on the ball more and create things. Houston looks back to what we want and in general the defence coped well enough. Poor game though with very little worth remembering but if I was a Pars fan I'd be disappointed with the number of wasted freekicks around the edge of the box that they had.

Onwards.

1 hour ago, Jazzar said:

Poor game though with very little worth remembering but if I was a Pars fan I'd be disappointed with the number of wasted freekicks around the edge of the box that they had.

I know... it felt like they had 5 or 6 free kicks (it may have been more) in or around our box. I dont think they tested Sinasalo once. One of them even hit the roof of the Somerset Road End. 

12 hours ago, wuffster said:

I wouldn't get too hung up on resolution or frame rate (720p50 would be ideal imo). I believe they are streaming over a fibre connection but 11 Mbps seems excessive, 4-6 Mbps should suffice. I really enjoyed watching the Morton game last week and thought the pictures (2 cams, replays) were to a standard I was happy to pay for.

If you were to offer me 720p50 or 1080p25 I would definitely take the former - I would always prioritise frame rate, at least at that level. My point is that we should not have to make that trade in 2020. People are now accustomed to sports being streamed with higher frame rates and I find it jarring effectively stepping back several years. Newer codecs mean you can achieve this without needing massive bandwidth.

I agree with you that Morton coverage was very good - if they just doubled the frame rate it would be perfect 🙂

18 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Seems folk are more pissed at the lack of communication from the club than the stream, which is only making things worse and poor form on their part.

Yeah, I messaged at around 2:40 yesterday when it became clear that everyone else’s streams were working but mine was not. Not heard a thing. 

I know the situation will be much more clearer after the midweek games but would it be safe to assume that victory against Stranraer on Saturday would be enough to see us through to the next round of the league cup either as group winners or one of the 4 best runner ups? 

I'll be honest- I've not been paying attention but just assumed the live stream would be the same camera that does the highlights. 

Didn't get the game yesterday but mate from work is a Pars fan and his thoughts were it was one of the easiest ones he has done with regard to signing up, but that the camera angle was terrible so wasnt good value.    Sounds like a point each was fair enough from what I've heard / seen.   Hopefully get a win and clean sheet v Stranraer to get the confidence back up.  

9 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I know the situation will be much more clearer after the midweek games but would it be safe to assume that victory against Stranraer on Saturday would be enough to see us through to the next round of the league cup either as group winners or one of the 4 best runner ups? 

Its a bit tricky at this stage because of the imbalance of games. I think trying to win the group is better than being best runners up as 9 points won't be a dead cert to be one of the 4 runners up imo. As you say, its hard to check this because of the midweek games.

We need a big win over Stranraer. Our goal difference is 4 better than Hamilton as things stand. Unless they beat Stranraer by more than that on Wednesday we should go into Saturday just having to match their result/score (vs. Albion Rovers) to win the group. It would be nice to have a buffer though as they could score a few against Albion Rovers.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Its a bit tricky at this stage because of the imbalance of games. I think trying to win the group is better than being best runners up as 9 points won't be a dead cert to be one of the 4 runners up imo. As you say, its hard to check this because of the midweek games.

We need a big win over Stranraer. Our goal difference is 4 better than Hamilton as things stand. Unless they beat Stranraer by more than that on Wednesday we should go into Saturday just having to match their result/score (vs. Albion Rovers) to win the group. It would be nice to have a buffer though as they could score a few against Albion Rovers.

It's obviously uncertain for all the reasons you say but it's pretty unlikely Ayr wouldn't get through with a win over Stranraer. A 2 or 3 goal win and you can probably count all the chickens you want.

I think there's only ever been one side (Peterhead a couple of years ago) made 9 points and not got through. It's possible someone will this year but unlikely it will be someone with a GD of at least +4 which is the minimum Ayr would have by beating Stranraer. In the first place Hamilton would need an aggregate 5 goal victory over Albion Rovers and Stranraer to pinch the group. They'd also need to score at least 6 goals in doing so.

In terms of best runner up, it's still possible every group could have a 9 point runner up though it's pretty unlikely in ours and can only happen if Morton beat St Mirren on penalties.
Group A - Hearts will win it with 1 point v E Fife. Raith can still get 9 as runners up but would need at least an aggregate 5 goal victory over ICT and Cowdenbeath to catch Ayr. East Fife could also get 9 if they actually beat Hearts and then also beat ICT.
Group B - If Dundee beat Cove then every chance both Hibs and Dundee will be better than 9 points and a better GD.
Group C - Possibility of 3 clubs all finishing on 9 but it's a long shot. If Dundee United beat St Johnstone on Tuesday they'll probably both finish above you but otherwise you'll be fine.
Group D - Assuming Ross County win out to win the group then Arbroath need to beat Elgin by 3 goals more than you beat Stranraer by to finish better. Elgin could in theory get 9 or more themselves but they've got Arbroath and County to play so that's a big ask.
Group E - A mess due to Kilmarnock's Covid nonsense but Dunfermline will presumably win the group with at least a point v Clyde. Falkirk can get 9 by winning at Dumbarton and are a goal behind you (thanks to being handed a 3 goal win v Kilmarnock).
Group G - As noted, runner up getting 9 is unlikely.
Group H - Livingston will probably win the group with at least 4 points from their last two games. If they do then Alloa can get runner up with 9 by beating Stenhousemuir. Again they are one behind in goal difference and have scored less so they'd need to win by at least two more than you do.

In short then, I'm pretty confident any Ayr win over Stranraer will get you through. It might well win the group and if it doesn't then I doubt there will be 4 better runners up. However, there's enough there or thereabouts that even a penalties win probably won't be enough.

Couldn't care less about getting through the group stage unless it guarantees we can get another body in. 

Hopefully see some of Tom Walsh though, nurse him through as many minutes as possible (his crossing onto a big laddie like Cameron please). 

@Skyline Drifter Good effort - so a win and we should be okay.

18 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Couldn't care less about getting through the group stage unless it guarantees we can get another body in. 

Financially it has to be a benefit. Whether that equates to another player or not is anyones guess. I expect not immediately, maybe in Jan though?

I forgot those guys will be cup tied.

We’re probably looking at something like this against Stranraer.

Hare-Reid

Houston
Baird
Roscoe
Miller

Murdoch
Chalmers

McCowan
Moffat
Zanatta

Anderson

Hopefully Walsh can make the bench at the very least.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I forgot those guys will be cup tied.

We’re probably looking at something like this against Stranraer.

Hare-Reid

Houston
Baird
Roscoe
Miller

Murdoch
Chalmers

McCowan
Moffat
Zanatta

Anderson

Hopefully Walsh can make the bench at the very least.

Them being cup-tied is a bit of a pain.

Who's playing left back there? I'd probably go with Hewitt. Kerr seemed to be playing him there in the earlier games.

I wouldn't be totally averse to one of Chalmers or Murdoch dropping out so Miller gets a start in midfield. There's also what to do with Muirhead. 

The international call ups and players being cup tied doesn't help us get a settled 11. I'm not sure what our best 11 is tbh.

Just now, rb123! said:

That's not you, it's Pixellot who have conceded their AI ball tracking system doesn't work as well as they intended and it needs a manual operator with a joystick to do the job instead. They are advertising for all 10 Championship grounds.