The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah, I was more having a go at the use of the word meltdown.

Its such an overused word and sensationalist in its nature now. Nuclear plants have meltdowns and its not good. Someone satiricaly calling for the managers head does not constitute a meltdown. Nor does all this nonsense click bait on Google such as "Nicola Sturgeon has meltdown" and you watch it and she just answers a journalist's question.  

Rant over.

That's modern language I'm afraid, someone answering a question is now "insisted" and words such as "horrific", "disaster", "horrendous" etc are used to describe things that are just a tad annoying and not so good. So Yes, guilty as charged.

Incidentally, I live quite close to Hunterston so a literal "meltdown" is the last thing I'm wanting.

I don't think Roscoe is at the standard we need currently but maybe a run in the team is what he needs, He needs an organizer beside him though and it doesn't look like Baird is helping out much in that category.

Muirhead is a decent defender and I would prefer him at center half over Bell any day. Bell cost us about a goal a game last season playing there, either getting done for pace or getting caught under a high ball and I much preferred him in midfield.

Muirhead played that role well in midfield last season and with Houston back, he might end up playing there again. With this shambles occurring, we 100% need another center half in though. 

22 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don't think Roscoe is at the standard we need currently but maybe a run in the team is what he needs, He needs an organizer beside him though and it doesn't look like Baird is helping out much in that category.

Muirhead is a decent defender and I would prefer him at center half over Bell any day. Bell cost us about a goal a game last season playing there, either getting done for pace or getting caught under a high ball and I much preferred him in midfield.

Muirhead played that role well in midfield last season and with Houston back, he might end up playing there again. With this shambles occurring, we 100% need another center half in though. 

Are you including the Ross County Scottish Cup game from last season in that sweeping generalisation?

They say you don't know what you've got until it's not there. Last Saturday's late implosion being produced as Exhibit 1. For getting the defensive line 20 yards up the pitch and rallying the troops generally, Bell would have been ideal at Cappielow. 

C'est La Vie. 

Edited by BukyOHare

Are you including the Ross County Scottish Cup game from last season in that sweeping generalisation?
They say you don't know what you've got until it's not there. Last Saturday's late implosion being produced as Exhibit 1. For getting the defensive line 20 yards up the pitch and rallying the troops generally, Bell would have been ideal at Cappielow. 
C'est La Vie. 

Picked a game at random from the highlights on YouTube from last season, we didn’t concede that day but out of 5 chances on the highlights package for QOTS, Bell dives in to a challenge and misses the ball, he gets wrong side of a player and gets done for pace and decides to play football on the edge of his 18 yard box and gets caught in possession.

Bell was a decent player but more often than not, a liability at the back

21 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Picked a game at random from the highlights on YouTube from last season, we didn’t concede that day but out of 5 chances on the highlights package for QOTS, Bell dives in to a challenge and misses the ball, he gets wrong side of a player and gets done for pace and decides to play football on the edge of his 18 yard box and gets caught in possession.

Sorry, but your final sentence there is genuine nonsense. 

36 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Sorry, but your final sentence there is genuine nonsense. 

He certainly was not a liability , but I also think too many people are overrating what he could give us this season , the guy admitted himself he could not commit to championship level ( not just playing for Ayr) that’s why he decided to step down a level for his football , 

Listen Bells experience was what he was there for, some player in his day, when we got him He was heading towards the end of his career and he steered the team through some great results Not to be undervalued by some of these comments. I think we still need one Centre back hopefully from the premier league in January who are finishing up, just hope we can minimise the type of days on Saturday and keep in touch of the top four until then.

After seeing the highlights just unbelievable and the look of shock on Kerrs face during the after match interview, I’ll bet the guy didn’t sleep much over the weekend. It could def be a 5-4 or something again this week I’m not sure which way but hopefully to the honest men.

I wonder if Mark Kerr would ever contemplate going  back into the team as a sweeper for Saturday and play behind Baird and Roscoe in a 5-3-2 or 5-4-1 ?  Might be a little radical and would mean maybe Moffat or Chalmers coming out the team !

8 minutes ago, North British said:

I wonder if Mark Kerr would ever contemplate going  back into the team as a sweeper for Saturday and play behind Baird and Roscoe in a 5-3-2 or 5-4-1 ?  Might be a little radical and would mean maybe Moffat or Chalmers coming out the team !

I think radical is an understatement...

11 minutes ago, North British said:

This is actually a very good point and realistically we're always going to concede goals if we want to watch the slick attacking style that we've had for the the past few seasons, that's the trade off I'm afraid.

Bell took abuse, Rose took abuse, McKenna was a "big dumpling", Roscoe's "not good enough", Muirhead is a "liability", Baird is "suspect and needs someone steady beside him".

Does anyone see a theme developing ??

Basically these are all comments that get bandied around every time we lose a game or even lose goals but the bottom line is that we play an open style with lots of creativity and we tend to build from the back, I'm sure we COULD tighten right up, however I am also sure there would be much anger and annoyance if we started drawing 0-0 every week and hoped to just steal something from a set piece etc.

Yes, we shouldn't have capitulated the way we did on Saturday and Yes it was a reckless and idiotic challenge by Muirhead and his Red card didn't help, but honestly I don't think we should rip up our style just because of the last 7 minutes at Cappielow.

I doubt he'll be anywhere near match fit, don't think he played in any of the Betfred games, only came on for last 20 minutes in one of the friendlies if I recall correctly

He really doesn't see himself as a player anymore, only registered as one and on the bench due to having to run with a slimmer squad this season.

23 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Considering he was mostly a defender for us, how can he be "decent" but yet also a "liability at the back". 

In your opinion, what was he actually "decent" at? 🤔

22 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

He certainly was not a liability , but I also think too many people are overrating what he could give us this season , the guy admitted himself he could not commit to championship level ( not just playing for Ayr) that’s why he decided to step down a level for his football , 

The player himself will know best, but what Saturday's capitulation showed for me, was that having an experienced head at the back for the last 15 minutes or so could've snatched at least a draw from the jaws of defeat. 

There's a lot to be said for leadership, organisational skills and a refusal to accept defeat. Things that an honest, experienced pro like Bell would have offered in spades. Even bringing on another experienced defender off the bench late on to shore things up and rally the troops when the tide was turning against us. 

There was definitely a naivety and what amounted to a meek acceptance that the game was going to slip away from us. 

These freak moments in games happen to teams at all levels to some extent. The Morton game's gone, time for the players to shoulder their element of the blame, learn from their mistakes and move on. 

2 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Considering he was mostly a defender for us, how can he be "decent" but yet also a "liability at the back". 

In your opinion, what was he actually "decent" at? 🤔

He was a good leader on the park, distributed the ball well for a  center half and didn't hoof it at every opportunity, he broke up the play well when he was in midfield. 

42 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He was a good leader on the park, distributed the ball well for a  center half and didn't hoof it at every opportunity, he broke up the play well when he was in midfield. 

I agree but I'm sure, looking at how Ayr are doing so far, Bell may have added something to the team. Certainly wouldn't view him as a liability. I'm sure he had mentioned when Ayr were promoted from league 1 that he may not have the legs for Championship football again, he gave it a bash and I think he did quite well considering. 

Jamie Adams is very sorely missed and was imo my preference at the back. Just a shame about his injuries. 

Whether Adams > Bell is another argument though 😂. Each player plays differently but I thought Adams was a solid Gold Nugget at the back. 

Best of luck to Bell, wherever he ends up as I think he did well in the time he had at Somerset. Work comes first and it's clear you can't expect a wage forever from playing football, during these times I think he made a good personal choice 👍

Edited by Roxanne's man
Adding luck for Bell

2 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

The player himself will know best, but what Saturday's capitulation showed for me, was that having an experienced head at the back for the last 15 minutes or so could've snatched at least a draw from the jaws of defeat. 

There's a lot to be said for leadership, organisational skills and a refusal to accept defeat. Things that an honest, experienced pro like Bell would have offered in spades. Even bringing on another experienced defender off the bench late on to shore things up and rally the troops when the tide was turning against us. 

There was definitely a naivety and what amounted to a meek acceptance that the game was going to slip away from us. 

These freak moments in games happen to teams at all levels to some extent. The Morton game's gone, time for the players to shoulder their element of the blame, learn from their mistakes and move on. 

I agree  with you that we need an experienced. centre half , my point was more to the people who were saying Kerr should not have let Bell go , there were reasons that the club could not change his mind 

Edited by Robbo63