The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, HMIP said:

What a joke.  I see 20,000 fans are to be allowed into the German GP next week.  Pretty sure fans are back in Dutch football as well.  Our government is completely losing the plot.  I hope there are serious political consequences for Sturgeon if we start to lose clubs.

Neither of these events are in Scotland so are irrelevant. 

Not to mention the majority of people living in those countries actually obeyed the lockdown restrictions the first time around whereas you’ve got large amounts of people in the UK that don’t really seem to care about the restrictions this time around.

The attitudes of people plays a huge part in this.

4 hours ago, rb123! said:

Anyone else get the feeling that goalie from Aston villa isn't going to be signed. If he's been up since last Tuesday I'm pretty sure he'd have signed by now

Followed the club on twitter today so I wouldn’t worry.

He's also not in the Finland U21 squad for next month so unlike Reading he won't miss the Hamilton and Annan games.

Morton made four signings today, don't think we'd cope with four signings in the one day lol

Albeit they've not got about 16 attacking players or something and 4 bang average defenders.

Wish we'd hurry up and sign a striker, one has to be signed next week surely considering Albion Rovers is in 11 days time.

5 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Morton made four signings today, don't think we'd cope with four signings in the one day lol

Albeit they've not got about 16 attacking players or something and 4 bang average defenders.

Wish we'd hurry up and sign a striker, one has to be signed next week surely considering Albion Rovers is in 11 days time.

We now have 5 defenders, which is a huge step forward from the 3 at the start of the day. Struggling to figure which ones are your 4 that are bang average though.

35 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Not to mention the majority of people living in those countries actually obeyed the lockdown restrictions the first time around whereas you’ve got large amounts of people in the UK that don’t really seem to care about the restrictions this time around.

The attitudes of people plays a huge part in this.

Genuinely gutting having my brother sending pictures of pints in the Tier Garten in Berlin where he lives every weekend for the past couple of months. 
They very much followed the rules in Germany and stuck with the lockdown, their media has been extremely critical of the public over here for packing out beaches and parks. Like comparing apples and pears trying to compare the UK to Germany. 

7 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

We now have 5 defenders, which is a huge step forward from the 3 at the start of the day. Struggling to figure which ones are your 4 that are bang average though.

Well Michael Ledger is a QOTS reject which says a lot and the other guy is some reject from Hamilton.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Neither of these events are in Scotland so are irrelevant. 

Ah, I see.  The virus is less virulent or deadly in other countries.  Trust Scotland to draw the tough virus,

The fact that nearby countries can get crowds back is wholly relevant.  Either our own government is particularly inept or they are being excessively risk averse.  

Ah, I see.  The virus is less virulent or deadly in other countries.  Trust Scotland to draw the tough virus,
The fact that nearby countries can get crowds back is wholly relevant.  Either our own government is particularly inept or they are being excessively risk averse.  

Or the people in our country are unable to actually comply with guidelines.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Or the people in our country are unable to actually comply with guidelines.

Not clear what that has to do with football.  The government has said about 97% of COVID transmission happens indoors.  Standing in the open air with plenty of spacing Is a tiny risk and far less risky than other things that are allowed such as getting on a plane.  As the Stenhousemuir chairman said, there seems to be little science to support the refusal to let limited crowds in.  Places like Germany havre a lower infection rate and surely want to keep it that way - they wouldn’t be letting 20,000 into a public event if they saw it as a serious risk.

It strikes me that some people are happy to accept the governments position on the basis our board has a bottomless pit of cash to underwrite losses for the season, which I’m quite sure they don’t.   Unfortunately, there are also people who, because they support independence, are content to hand the government a blank cheque to do as they please.  The reality is that our game is heading towards wreck and ruin and for no good reason - if we want to avert that outcome, we need to open our mouths and say something before it’s too late.

2 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Not clear what that has to do with football.  The government has said about 97% of COVID transmission happens indoors.  Standing in the open air with plenty of spacing Is a tiny risk and far less risky than other things that are allowed such as getting on a plane.  As the Stenhousemuir chairman said, there seems to be little science to support the refusal to let limited crowds in.  Places like Germany havre a lower infection rate and surely want to keep it that way - they wouldn’t be letting 20,000 into a public event if they saw it as a serious risk.

It strikes me that some people are happy to accept the governments position on the basis our board has a bottomless pit of cash to underwrite losses for the season, which I’m quite sure they don’t.   Unfortunately, there are also people who, because they support independence, are content to hand the government a blank cheque to do as they please.  The reality is that our game is heading towards wreck and ruin and for no good reason - if we want to avert that outcome, we need to open our mouths and say something before it’s too late.

It was seen as a serious risk last night in the game I'm presuming you are talking about. 

European countries, including Germany, have placed Hungary on a watch list as coronavirus cases rise, and Bavarian premier Markus Soeder has warned fans to stay away from Budapest.

"Nobody knows where this leads, but if it is an experiment, that is wrong," Csilek said. "You don't experiment with people."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN26D1PL

It's not simply the being there in the ground, not everyone has a car to travel to Somerset Park in, not all Ayr fans live in Ayr.  I'd agree that the actual event can easily be made safe I think it's traveling while cases are rising that is keeping this pushed back. Considering test events had been allowed prior to the upturn in cases and no issues arise it's not like we weren't preparing to move forward, just unfortunate timing. 

You’re really not getting it are you.

The reason other countries are ahead of us in getting crowds back is because they have handled the virus better. There’s different reasons for that but the main one is that the people in these countries have no issue with complying with guidelines laid out for for them by their respective governments. However when you look at Britain at every single turn large numbers of people are either looking for ways to get around restrictions or just break them altogether. There’s a selfish streak with many people where they feel that so along as they themselves are fine then they can do what they like. I could go on for ages about this but it’s a football thread so I’ll try and bring it back to crowds.

The bottom line is this. If, from the very beginning of lockdown, everyone had complied and done what they had been asked to do and then once restrictions were gradually being eased we didn’t act like everything was back to normal then we’d more or less be allowed to go to the football in smaller numbers. Instead we’ve shown that large amounts of people can’t be trusted so therefore it’s been taken away from us to prevent the risk of growing infections. I know a lot of people will maybe hate me for saying this but it’s more our own fault with our failure to follow rules than it it is the Scottish governments fault.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’re really not getting it are you.

The reason other countries are ahead of us in getting crowds back is because they have handled the virus better. There’s different reasons for that but the main one is that the people in these countries have no issue with complying with guidelines laid out for for them by their respective governments. However when you look at Britain at every single turn large numbers of people are either looking for ways to get around restrictions or just break them altogether. There’s a selfish streak with many people where they feel that so along as they themselves are fine then they can do what they like. I could go on for ages about this but it’s a football thread so I’ll try and bring it back to crowds.

The bottom line is this. If, from the very beginning of lockdown, everyone had complied and done what they had been asked to do and then once restrictions were gradually being eased we didn’t act like everything was back to normal then we’d more or less be allowed to go to the football in smaller numbers. Instead we’ve shown that large amounts of people can’t be trusted so therefore it’s been taken away from us to prevent the risk of growing infections. I know a lot of people will maybe hate me for saying this but it’s more our own fault with our failure to follow rules than it it is the Scottish governments fault.

No, it’s you who isn’t getting it..  These countries have indeed handled it better I.e. they’ve suppressed the right activities.  They have no interest in seeing infection rates spiralling out of control, therefore they are maintaining lockdown measures in areas that are effective.  That they are letting fans into events tells you that they recognise the transmission risk is low and is a minor part of managing infection.

i really have no idea what evidence you have to back up the idea that compliance with lockdown rules is any different between here and e.g. Germany.  It’s their test, track and trace that’s the difference, and has been since the outset.

For those who really aren’t getting the seriousness of the situation, i would suggest reading this.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/football/spfl-lower-leagues-set-to-kick-off-despite-cash-concerns

The thing is there is no evidence that a huge number of people have not been following the rules. Of course some people have broken them, and that is what the media like to focus. It's also something you hear from Johnson and his chums increasingly as they look to blame anyone but themselves, despite the complete and utter mess which lies at their door. As for Sturgeon, she clearly has performed better, but there have still been cock ups on Scotland. Care homes was the first one and the whole issue around students is the latest.

The whole 'we can't have people travelling all over the country' is a bit misleading as crowds would still be very much restricted for the time being. Admittedly it wouldn't look right politically as cases continue to rise. 

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the team gets on against Falkirk and Partick over the next few days. 

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

Well Michael Ledger is a QOTS reject which says a lot and the other guy is some reject from Hamilton.

I think you misinterpreted my inability to identify the bang average 4. It's NOT because I thought you were being harsh...