The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

iirc correctly a big part of the overspend was justified as being win and goal bonuses. Nobody could have foreseen just how good we would be in the first half of the season. Most of us thought the playoffs would be a damn good season and P 5 / 6 in the league would have been decent. Fast forwards to October / November and we were justifiably talking about being in the title race before being decimated with injuries and not having the financial fire power of County to tighten up or Dundee United to sign a new squad. 
I still believe to this day if Shankland hadn't got injured and we'd still just made the two signings we did in January, we'd have got promoted that year. Most likely through the play offs.

We were unstoppable in the first half of the season, the best Ayr United team this century IMO or on par with 2001/02. Such a shame the locals of the town didn't seem to appreciate that though as that team deserved crowds of 4/5k at Somerset.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

I still believe to this day if Shankland hadn't got injured and we'd still just made the two signings we did in January, we'd have got promoted that year. Most likely through the play offs.

We were unstoppable in the first half of the season, the best Ayr United team this century IMO or on par with 2001/02. Such a shame the locals of the town didn't seem to appreciate that though as that team deserved crowds of 4/5k at Somerset.

Agree with that. We were a joy to watch, and I’m sure if Shankland didn’t get injured we’d have went up. I also think the draw against Ross County near Christmas fcked us. Completely forgot who we signed that Jan? Was it Cadden and Miller?

Agree with that. We were a joy to watch, and I’m sure if Shankland didn’t get injured we’d have went up. I also think the draw against Ross County near Christmas fcked us. Completely forgot who we signed that Jan? Was it Cadden and Miller?
3-1 up at half time I think, drawing that game knocked out a bit of confidence we were never the same after that.

5 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
22 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

3-1 up at half time I think, drawing that game knocked out a bit of confidence we were never the same after that.

Yip, I just felt when we contrived to draw that day, that it was a turning point. Went with a relative up from London and we stood on the enclosure rather than my usual Main Stand. Fcking torrential rain just summed the day up

I just remember the horrendous wind didn’t help and they launched long ball after long ball in behind us all second half. It’s a shame because we absolutely battered them in the first half and I think Smith had a chance right at the end to make it 4-3 but he fluffed it.

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yip, I just felt when we contrived to draw that day, that it was a turning point. Went with a relative up from London and we stood on the enclosure rather than my usual Main Stand. Fcking torrential rain just summed the day up

Half time came at the wrong time from memory - we were 3 - 1 ahead and absolutely battering them when the whistle went - seemed like one of those days where if we had another 10 mins we could easily have scored another couple.   Then all of a sudden within about 15 mins of the restart it was 3 all and we were hanging on big time for a draw! 

I can see why Rangers have chosen Morton over ourselves. I don’t think he’s an out and out striker so would likely have been competing with Walsh or Zanatta for a place out wide. He’s got a much better chance of game time at Morton.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I can see why Rangers have chosen Morton over ourselves. I don’t think he’s an out and out striker so would likely have been competing with Walsh or Zanatta for a place out wide. He’s got a much better chance of game time at Morton.

Aye, I completely understand it from their POV.  If they have any strikers needing game time then send them our way. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Dapo Mebude maybe?

I'm worried that Ayr don't find a replacement for Moore, or a new forward at all 😔