The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Oh dear................

He’s not completely hopeless, but he’s passive, can’t tackle, surprisingly lightweight for such a big guy, and doesn’t really have a position.  He’s probably a central midfielder at this point in his career, but he’s so completely apathetic that I’m not sure why anyone would sign him.  Seems like, from the wording, Ayr paid County as well.  

Prepare for the ultimate in flatter-to-deceive players.  He’s Martin Woods, basically.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

He’s not completely hopeless, but he’s passive, can’t tackle, surprisingly lightweight for such a big guy, and doesn’t really have a position.  He’s probably a central midfielder at this point in his career, but he’s so completely apathetic that I’m not sure why anyone would sign him.  Seems like, from the wording, Ayr paid County as well.  

Prepare for the ultimate in flatter-to-deceive players.  He’s Martin Woods, basically.

So why did your team sign him then ??

34 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I disagree we have got more than we had last season. Walsh zanatta and mccowan can all interchange and play different positions, plus we have moff who can play there too I think the only positions we need are a striker and a keeper 

It’s pretty much a given that Walsh, McCowan, Chalmers and Zanatta will all pick up injuries.

A squad player who can cover wouldn’t go a miss

1 minute ago, Hazbart said:

It’s pretty much a given that Walsh, McCowan, Chalmers and Zanatta will all pick up injuries.

A squad player who can cover wouldn’t go a miss

In fairness we don't even have a goalkeeper or a striker (other than Moore) yet, so i think we should be concentrating 100% on filling these positions before we start worrying about situations which are unlikely / may never arise as regards squad cover.

From seeing him for Inverness he’s absolutely not a Premiership player and it’s fairly obvious County only signed him because of Roy McGregors unhealthy obsession with signing absolutely anyone that’s kicked a ball for Inverness.

This is his level. We don’t need him to be spectacular. Just so long as he keeps it need and tidy and covers enough ground to make up for the attacking players in front of him.

I may be living in fantasy land here but would Glenn Middleton be a realistic signing target. He’s had two fairly unsuccessful loan moves to Hibs and Bradford however I was impressed with against ourselves ( He scored two that night) and looked decent in the couple of Europa league games I watched. 

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

So why did your team sign him then ??

Because it saves the club a small fortune in relocation costs, if these players are already based up here.  That's the only possible explanation, because he was never up to the job.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Because it saves the club a small fortune in relocation costs, if these players are already based up here.  That's the only possible explanation, because he was never up to the job.

Oh well, can only hope that the Somerset Air has the "shankland effect" on him.

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I know we need a another striker but a fit Craig Moore will score in this team, before Shankland signed he was in fire and still scored almost 30 goals in league one that season he's never had a run since because of Shankland and injuries.

That the problem he can’t seem to keep fit. I honestly believe a fully fit Craig Moore would be playing in the premiership. I rate him a lot. 

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In fairness we don't even have a goalkeeper or a striker (other than Moore) yet, so i think we should be concentrating 100% on filling these positions before we start worrying about situations which are unlikely / may never arise as regards squad cover.

Like I said in my original post, GK and striker are the main concern. However we would be foolish to think we don’t need some cover.

Unless there’s some talent in the academy?

12 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Like I said in my original post, GK and striker are the main concern. However we would be foolish to think we don’t need some cover.

Unless there’s some talent in the academy?

Yes, although we've got guys like muirhead and mike miller who can also play a few positions.

28 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Fits the description of good pedigree that was given ,but I’m concerned about his continued injury problems from his profile, surprised he was given two years so we’ll see def bit of a gamble.

Final business has to be a striker as Moore won’t cut it and keeper.

Don’t get the continued injury quote , he was injured in 2015 and then got an ankle injury in 2020 ! no injuries in previous  3 seasons , we certainly can’t be saying because he had the same groin injury 5 and 6 years ago that it’s  continually problems , this year it’s his ankle , which has fully recovered 

Edited by Robbo63

Just thinking back about "new signings", the one I always remembered and that I was really excited about was the ill fated Stevie Cooper from Airdrie, I always thought he was a cracking player and was over the moon when we signed him, however he got injured in pre season and never actually kicked a ball for us and of he sadly passed away just a couple of years later in a freak accident in his home.

Then there was the wee striker (forgot his name) who I really rated who we got in on loan from St Johnstone and he lasted a whole 14 minutes before getting a bad injury and never being seen again.

On the fanfare but easy to forget category had to be Mark Duthie who had looked like a world beater when playing against us but once signed looked like he was playing with a square ball !!

Yes, the highs and lows of the transfer market indeed.

42 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

From seeing him for Inverness he’s absolutely not a Premiership player and it’s fairly obvious County only signed him because of Roy McGregors unhealthy obsession with signing absolutely anyone that’s kicked a ball for Inverness.

This is his level. We don’t need him to be spectacular. Just so long as he keeps it need and tidy and covers enough ground to make up for the attacking players in front of him.

Which is fine. Joe Chalmers, like Jack Baird before him, is a decent enough signing at this level and I'd absolutely have taken both of them at QoS. It's not by any stretch of the imagination a "pedigree signing" as was built up though. He's not even your best coup of the last few weeks (that would be Walsh).

And it's another 2 year deal for a player with no significant resale value in current circumstances. Ayr have clearly decided that Covid will not be a factor for long.

2 hours ago, rb123! said:
12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:
Why would you be worried? You'd have to be a mentalist to think he'd join Ayr. The only reason he'd drop to this level would be to come to us since we're his childhood club.

Thank f**k for that cause you can have him. Don't want him anywhere near us. Going by the track record of high quality players returning to Scotland to play at the end of their career it will be a disaster.

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

Holy f**k that's some signing, two year contracts to premiership quality players in their prime.

WE ARE MASSIVE

#imminent influx of Inverness fans coming on here raging lol

:lol:

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Just thinking back about "new signings", the one I always remembered and that I was really excited about was the ill fated Stevie Cooper from Airdrie, I always thought he was a cracking player and was over the moon when we signed him, however he got injured in pre season and never actually kicked a ball for us and of he sadly passed away just a couple of years later in a freak accident in his home.

Then there was the wee striker (forgot his name) who I really rated who we got in on loan from St Johnstone and he lasted a whole 14 minutes before getting a bad injury and never being seen again.

On the fanfare but easy to forget category had to be Mark Duthie who had looked like a world beater when playing against us but once signed looked like he was playing with a square ball !!

Yes, the highs and lows of the transfer market indeed.

Sean Higgins wasn't it?

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Which is fine. Joe Chalmers, like Jack Baird before him, is a decent enough signing at this level and I'd absolutely have taken both of them at QoS. It's not by any stretch of the imagination a "pedigree signing" as was built up though. He's not even your best coup of the last few weeks (that would be Walsh).

And it's another 2 year deal for a player with no significant resale value in current circumstances. Ayr have clearly decided that Covid will not be a factor for long.

I'd imagine the "2 year deal" situation is the reason why we're managing to sign some of these guys as we're offering them security as opposed to "silly money", as such it shouldn't really matter so long as we don't get relegated which I'd say is highly unlikely, although as Falkirk and Partick could tell us, you just never know ???