The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

16 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

There’s more to a team than having big players in your team , I personally don’t think we need to fear being bullied by teams 

We've been in the Championship long enough to know that the successful teams all have a mix of technical ability, goals and a physical edge to them. 

Along with scoring on average just short of two goals and conceding just short of a goal a game on average. 

I hope you're right and we'll pass teams off the pitch and have the opposition chasing shadows, but for me you can definitely have too many similar ball players in a team. A Reece Cole type player would be that for me. 

At any level of the game there will be players who's job first and foremost is to break up play, win the ball back, and pass it on to let the ball players do their thing. I fear we're not addressing this to the starting eleven (at the moment anyway). 

Edited by BukyOHare

Just because we sign Cole doesn’t mean we won’t sign another midfielder that is a bit more physical and defensive minded.

Cole gives us options though as he’ll be able to play next to Murdoch and also as number 10. Was hot and cold last season but I think in a better team he’d be able to do really well.

12 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

We've been in the Championship long enough to know that the successful teams all have a mix of technical ability, goals and a physical edge to them. 

Along with scoring on average just short of two goals and conceding just short of a goal a game on average. 

I hope you're right and we'll pass teams off the pitch and have the opposition chasing shadows, but for me you can definitely have too many similar ball players in a team. A Reece Cole type player would be that for me. 

At any level of the game there will be players who's job first and foremost is to break up play, win the ball back, and pass it on to let the ball players do their thing. I fear we're not addressing this to the starting eleven (at the moment anyway). 

Murdoch can do that role fairly well. He will be the more defensively minded player in my eyes when we are playing the Alloas and  such like and maybe have an enforcer in muirhead for games against tougher opponents 

Edited by ryanayr1987

It’s a squad game, and I’m sure the management team will be putting pieces of the jigsaw together carefully.

Don’t see us being a one trick pony next season - just feel that would be too naive for these guys.

I’m fully expecting an extremely tactical look at how we play against each side - playing to our strengths and attacking their weaknesses.

Sounds like I’m expecting big things from Kerr and, to be fair, I am.

Just feel his selection of signings so far are showing a very well thought out plan, and at our level, as much a statement of intent ‘plucky wee Ayr’ could muster.

If it is Cole there's signs of a decent player in there, on the physicality argument i can see the point but last season against the hammer throwers Inverness (who triumphed McCall every time) we managed to beat them with same players as McCall, just a different style of play. McCall was more gung ho at all times whereas Kerr was nick a goal with high press and then sit back and defend what you've got.

Cole has a lot of ability: he’s got great passing and strikes the ball really well. Our young fans love him for some reason but a lot thought he flattered to deceive and a lot of people like me thought he didn’t do enough. He’s quite lazy at times and unless you’re dominating possession he struggles. He’s good pals with Zanatta so wouldn’t he surprised if he joined Ayr.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye in a couple friendlies and cup games.

He’s ahead of Hawkins and Norwood (not fully fit) in the team today so there’s next to no chance he’ll be back with us now.

No. Ipswich fans really like him. Hopefully he bags a few today alongside Sears 

38 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

No. Ipswich fans really like him. Hopefully he bags a few today alongside Sears 

He's been very good so far, nearly scored and has has also set up a couple of great chances so we can rest assured that he won't be coming back up here on loan anytime soon !!

14 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

If the new signing  has signed a two year deal he won't be an attacking player, as all our attacking players at present are only signed till end of season.

I don't quite know what you're meaning, why would that have any bearing ??

31 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

He's been very good so far, nearly scored and has has also set up a couple of great chances so we can rest assured that he won't be coming back up here on loan anytime soon !!

Thought he had a decent first half , surprised  he was withdrawn at half time , though it was to be replaced by one of their first choice strikers 

Thought he had a decent first half , surprised  he was withdrawn at half time , though it was to be replaced by one of their first choice strikers 

It’s funny that almost every other poster on here will be reading through your posts Robbo like some kind of cryptic clue, reading between the lines, looking for hidden meaning like a chapter from a Dan Brown novel

I think the Drinan thing may better than 50/50 . They have just signed Hawkins from Portsmouth , he’ll be Lambert’s first choice target man .  The L1 wage cap will force them to get players out on loan ...