The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

If the SPFL had maybe three testing labs, Glasgow (Hampden), Edinburgh(Livingston) and Aberdeen and players turned up, by appointment for testing, surely that would save money rather than clubs doing it individually. The players are probably 70% central belt anyway. 

Once the Championship starts, maybe double the number. Have one for Ayr, QOTS, Morton, St Mirren and Kilmarnock. 

I have a lot of sympathy for Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer, If Inverness were to go up in second, Ayr had a reasonable chance of catching them (as did Dundee) and I would feel slightly aggrieved, so to be relegated in the same circumstance is a shocking way to end the season. 

That said, Anne Budge's performance in trying to lead reconstruction makes me hope it will fail. 

The interview with Roy McGregor hinted at this last weekend. They were talking about setting up regional centres to avoid clubs needing to purchase a machine 

I actually liked Reid, the team in 08-09 wasn't the best, but that was the most passionate Ayr team I have seen. His defensive tactics were good up until he employed them at every game. I would like to have seen what he could've achieved if he had a full time squad.

8 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

I actually liked Reid, the team in 08-09 wasn't the best, but that was the most passionate Ayr team I have seen. His defensive tactics were good up until he employed them at every game. I would like to have seen what he could've achieved if he had a full time squad.

I think that is fair. I actually quite liked the 08-09 team as well. I recollect we routinely went a goal and even 2 down on occasion and I still expected to win. You can't say that often as an Ayr fan.

Reid's other issue is that he seems to fall out with his entire squad. If you're not changing your squad every year (not such an issue in lower leagues) he's not really an option for a full time team.

Reid benefited from being the manager after a string of previous disasters. He wasn’t really that great but looked semi competent as got some success here and there. His career following Ayr puts into perspective how good he really was 

Reid benefited from being the manager after a string of previous disasters. He wasn’t really that great but looked semi competent as got some success here and there. His career following Ayr puts into perspective how good he really was 

I don’t really see how his career following being our manager bears any relevance to his success here.

Two promotions, while having another big spending side in the league. An excellent cup run.

And let’s be honest our part time budget in the championship would have been very poor at that time but made a decent go at it at times.

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

Reid benefited from being the manager after a string of previous disasters. 

Isn't that management? More often than not you are replacing someone who has underperformed and been sacked.

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

His career following Ayr puts into perspective how good he really was 

I'm not sure that's quite true at least in Scotland anyway. Look at Stranraer. 😱

30 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t really see how his career following being our manager bears any relevance to his success here.

Two promotions, while having another big spending side in the league. An excellent cup run.

And let’s be honest our part time budget in the championship would have been very poor at that time but made a decent go at it at times.

I thought his efforts at Ayr were ok but not as good as many thought. Cup run was remarkable however he snatched relegation from the jaws of staying up in the championship. 

23 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Isn't that management? More often than not you are replacing someone who has underperformed and been sacked.

I'm not sure that's quite true at least in Scotland anyway. Look at Stranraer. 😱

Not always as sometimes people just move on after a period of time or get a better job elsewhere. Of our previous managers some were playing juniors as we were still recovering from a tax bill. Reid’s time was probably the first point we were stable off the park and could build a team on it. Reid was always a highly motivated and driven person that was keen to do well. The footballing world don’t obviously rate him as a manager as he’s not managed at this level since 

I Liked Reid. His first season was my first season with a season ticket after a few years of not going due to age and it ended up in promotion after narrowly avoiding relegation the previous season. Also had the two games v Killie.

Second season was a bit shite if I remember correctly. Was that not the season we got relegated up at Morton. Junior Mendes missed a 1 on 1 to put us 2-0 up. 

Third season was again enjoyable. Livi stormed the league but we won promotion up at Brechin.

Fourth season was the year we got to hampden but also got relegated. I maintain to this day that team should never have went down. We have some very good players like Cuthbert, Smith, Malone, Geggan, Moffat (although was deployed out wide) etc. He also gets heavily criticised due to his tactics in the semi final however we had players the same way against Hearts and St Mirren in earlier rounds and had a lot of success so can see why he done and if we had held on and won on penalties he would of been hailed a hero. 

When he was eventually sacked/moved on it was the right time for him to move on. 

I've laboured the point before, but Reid done a decent enough job for us and was let down badly by the board in his final season. We had a decent chance to try and consolidate ourselves in the second tier, it wouldn't have taken much of the money from the cup runs. Instead we got a couple of loan signings from Blackpool or something in January.

He was our first manager in about ten years who even resembled competent, and I wish him all the best.

Reidy was the guy that got me back in love with the club after going and doing other stuff with pals for a good few years (basically since we got relegated under Money). 

FWIW I think there's not much in it with him and McCall, not great managers but both managed to pick the club up a bit.