The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Doc will still go imo. He’s a decent enough Championship player and given the circumstances we’re currently in it would be one less player Kerr would have to sign.

I have no real ill will towards a player wanting greater financial security from a relatively short career.

1 hour ago, placidcasual said:

We seem to have a decent reputation right now for looking after players and being a decent club to play for, but aye, let's chuck that in the bin and start being dicks to players because they had the audacity to try and earn a few quid more.

Shame there ain't more posters on P&B with a realistic attitude towards players moving on. The same guys who would be glad to see a workmate move to a rival company for more money behave like dumped girlfriends when a bloke they've never met moves to another fitba club for the same reason, then hold a grudge against the guy for years. 

Talk about small-minded. 

2 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Ross Docherty chose to leave Ayr in December. After that he had one decent game (County in the cup) was pish for a while after then got injured. Whinged in the paper about how unfair life is. Once his contract finishes with us, that should be him away. If Thistle don’t want to honour his contract/not pay him till Furlough is over then that’s his and their problem. I’m all for extending contracts of players who we will release and have the furlough scheme help them out financially (not top it up and at least they are getting something), but if Docherty comes with his begging bowl saying Thistle can’t pay him till they start playing then tough. He made his bed. 

That would be utterly pathetic and downright disgraceful. A guy moving to another club for greater financial security should be hung out to dry even if it would be at no cost to us, out of nothing but sheer bitterness?

Get a grip.

2 hours ago, placidcasual said:

We seem to have a decent reputation right now for looking after players and being a decent club to play for, but aye, let's chuck that in the bin and start being dicks to players because they had the audacity to try and earn a few quid more.

Why look after another clubs player? Like I said, look after the guys who we are letting go, they don’t have any future income on the horizon, Docherty does. 

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

What an absolute cuntish move that would be. Are you 14?

If only! 

4 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Shame there ain't more posters on P&B with a realistic attitude towards players moving on. The same guys who would be glad to see a workmate move to a rival company for more money behave like dumped girlfriends when a bloke they've never met moves to another fitba club for the same reason, then hold a grudge against the guy for years. 

Talk about small-minded. 

Michael Rose and Lawrence Shankland have moved on recently and have had the best wishes of the club when leaving for more money and bigger things. Rose even apparently securing a possible future fee for Ayr with his departure. 

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

That would be utterly pathetic and downright disgraceful. A guy moving to another club for greater financial security should be hung out to dry even if it would be at no cost to us, out of nothing but sheer bitterness?

Get a grip.

Partick Thistle gave him a contract that he’s signed. He is their player come the start date. For the furlough scheme to be used like that IMO would be wrong. Thistle should be paying his wages. I think it is right to do it with players who we’d be putting out of contract and have no chance of securing a club in the near future due to the pandemic. However Docherty and Forest have that security of new contract elsewhere so their new clubs should sort them out. If they have to take wage deferrals to start of then that would be up to them. 

3 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Partick Thistle gave him a contract that he’s signed. He is their player come the start date. For the furlough scheme to be used like that IMO would be wrong. Thistle should be paying his wages. I think it is right to do it with players who we’d be putting out of contract and have no chance of securing a club in the near future due to the pandemic. However Docherty and Forest have that security of new contract elsewhere so their new clubs should sort them out. If they have to take wage deferrals to start of then that would be up to them. 

He doesn’t have security of a new contract as far as I’m aware. Pre-contracts can be cancelled, so if Partick have no idea when the season will start, if at all, and don’t honour the pre-contract and employ him then you’re essentially chucking him on the scrap heap out of bitterness.

16 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

He doesn’t have security of a new contract as far as I’m aware. Pre-contracts can be cancelled, so if Partick have no idea when the season will start, if at all, and don’t honour the pre-contract and employ him then you’re essentially chucking him on the scrap heap out of bitterness.

Partick will be doing that, not us. As said above, had we signed someone on a pre contract, come the start date they would be our responsibility. Maybe negotiate a wage deferral to begin with if both parties agreed which I imagine would happen. You’re also under the assumption that we can offer a contract extension that would interfere with the start date of his Partick contract, which I would imagine would not be allowed. He can’t be under contract at both Ayr United and Thistle. 

Edited by callum-ayr

15 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Partick will be doing that, not us. As said above, had we signed someone on a pre contract, come the start date they would be our responsibility. Maybe negotiate a wage deferral to begin with if both parties agreed which I imagine would happen. You’re also under the assumption that we can offer a contract extension that would interfere with the start date of his Partick contract, which I would imagine would not be allowed. He can’t be under contract at both Ayr United and Thistle. 

The scenario I presented was pre-contract is voided as they can’t afford to take on his wage, so he is not employed by Partick. Are you suggesting in that scenario that Ayr still do not offer him an extension to his contract to allow him to pick up the furlough payment at zero cost to us?

Edited by Honest_Man#1

I think it’s a bit narrow minded to say come the 31st of May Docherty is no longer our responsibility. He’s had 5 years with us, won POTY and been a part of 2 promotion winning teams. Whether he chose to leave for more money or not, he deserves better than to be told “you’re another clubs problem now”.

I think the bitterness towards him stems from the fact he chose to go to McCall but it’s highly unlikely the guys in the dressing room feel have that same level of dislike towards him as we do. For Docherty especially I’d imagine the two will have a good working relationship so when the chance comes for him to link up with him again and get a bit more financial security it’s a no brainer move for him to make.

The obvious issue with this is can we offer him a contract that overlaps with his Partick contract and I genuinely don’t know. Under the circumstances it might take a UEFA rule change on PCA to allow them to be deferred for us to keep him until the new season begins.

Also it’s nonsense to say that he had one decent game after signing his PCA. He went on a run of about 5 or 6 games where he was our best midfielder up until the Partick game in January when he got injured.

51 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think it’s a bit narrow minded to say come the 31st of May Docherty is no longer our responsibility. He’s had 5 years with us, won POTY and been a part of 2 promotion winning teams. Whether he chose to leave for more money or not, he deserves better than to be told “you’re another clubs problem now”.

I think the bitterness towards him stems from the fact he chose to go to McCall but it’s highly unlikely the guys in the dressing room feel have that same level of dislike towards him as we do. For Docherty especially I’d imagine the two will have a good working relationship so when the chance comes for him to link up with him again and get a bit more financial security it’s a no brainer move for him to make.

The obvious issue with this is can we offer him a contract that overlaps with his Partick contract and I genuinely don’t know. Under the circumstances it might take a UEFA rule change on PCA to allow them to be deferred for us to keep him until the new season begins.

It’s a no brainier to leave a championship club to go to league 1?

McCall has been proven to be a charlatan when it comes to convincing players to do him a turn and sign for him.

He will have signed Doc preparing for a title challenge in the Championship next season. Fully selling the fact to Docherty. 3 months on, Thistle, who gambled on staying up and signed at a Jack Ross St Mirren levels at Christmas to do so have been relegated. They probably have a bigger wage expenditure than 1 or 2 premier teams. 

That in the current climate can not be sustainable, no gate money coming in, prize money next year will be lower and having players under contract that clearly are not up to it will be difficult to move on when clubs wont have the cash to sign them at the level Thistle were paying them. To sign more players at the moment would be crazy and I would expect McCall would have to sell this pretty hard to the board for them to sign Doc.

All this would probably have payed off had the season finished, I think they would have stayed up and been a contender next year. 

Saw this on EBAY, player issued kit that must have briefly been used between Centrum going bust and Arrow van hire going bust.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-1990-AYR-UNITED-MATCH-PLAYER-ISSUE-HOME-FOOTBALL-SHIRT-11-L/164185827526?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D8f5722767d3449b081344885221e5112%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D164185827526%26itm%3D164185827526%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A674c413b-9a90-11ea-930d-74dbd180c62a|parentrq%3A31edaa131720ac3d5d12cde3ff99ce42|iid%3A1

Ayr shirt sponsorship seems to be the death knell of companies

Barr Construction, Centrum, Arrow van hire, Sports division, What everyone wants, Strachans, Ayrshire leader, Aurigin, Kennedy construction, Paligap. 

Too many unknowns at the moment. What the league will look like and the effect this shutdown will have on teams and transfer market. I still haven’t made my mind up how good or bad our management team are and their ability to spot players. Docherty has been with us five years and been consistent throughout. If we got the chance I would happily take him back as it’s one less of many positions we need to worry about

It’s a no brainier to leave a championship club to go to league 1?

They weren’t relegated when he signed for them.

The only thing you could accuse Doc of being is a bit stupid for not waiting until the summer to see what league Partick would be in.