The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Without sounding like having a lack of ambition, I really don't think we need to "up our game" at all, in fact I think the club have been doing great both on and off the field. On the other hand I'd say that clubs such as Dunfermline who have a very good infrastructure and large support SHOULD be upping their game as should Dundee for the same reasons.

Should things get back to any sort of normality then I'd be ecstatic if we could replicate any of the previous two seasons, with anything further, just a major bonus.

Kinda does sound like lack of ambition though ! “Plucky wee Ayr up from the seaside league” ! I don’t subscribe to that though process , not while Accies are in the Premier and Livingston are 5th top of the thing . There are opportunities to be had here ,I would be having a look at them. We didn’t have a particularly brilliant window in January, I’d say that if we repeat that in the summer then we.ll be in trouble ! 

8 minutes ago, Tigerland said:

Kinda does sound like lack of ambition though ! “Plucky wee Ayr up from the seaside league” ! I don’t subscribe to that though process , not while Accies are in the Premier and Livingston are 5th top of the thing . There are opportunities to be had here ,I would be having a look at them. We didn’t have a particularly brilliant window in January, I’d say that if we repeat that in the summer then we.ll be in trouble ! 

Not sure what planet you were on in January but we let go of two players who hardly got a game and replaced them with four - two of whom started most games since.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Not sure what planet you were on in January but we let go of two players who hardly got a game and replaced them with four - two of whom started most games since.

Dolan and McGuffie left for Morton sure . However McKenzie went out to Forfar , Ross went back to Aberdeen and Murdoch was out for the season .  All this and our captain signed a pre contract with Thistle which rocked us a bit . Second place and a real crack in the play offs was very much on the cards if we had a good window . We had a shocker with the exception of getting Houston signed and the arrival of Drinan . The others were just jersey fillers and may well have cost us fourth if we had finished the season . 

Dolan and McGuffie left for Morton sure . However McKenzie went out to Forfar , Ross went back to Aberdeen and Murdoch was out for the season .  All this and our captain signed a pre contract with Thistle which rocked us a bit . Second place and a real crack in the play offs was very much on the cards if we had a good window . We had a shocker with the exception of getting Houston signed and the arrival of Drinan . The others were just jersey fillers and may well have cost us fourth if we had finished the season . 

Dunno why Frank Ross leaving was a bad thing. He never played a full 90 minutes. McKenzie going out on loan wasn’t a bad thing either.

Our January window was absolutely fine. Our aim was to avoid falling out the play offs and Kerr recruited with that in mind.

15 hours ago, rb123! said:

The clubs in biggest trouble will be the likes of Hearts and Thistle who'll be wanting to a clear out and rebuild along with having players on big money contracts which don't justify the leagues they're in. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/partick-thistle-forced-massive-wage-22048042

Turns out i was right with that lol, can see Docherty trying to make a u-turn at the last minute and stay with us. 

Which in my view wouldn't bother me and be quite funny as he would effectively be giving McCall the middle finger but i know others views are he has burnt his bridges with us.

1 hour ago, Tigerland said:

Of all the players that left none of them were getting much IF any game time , surely moving them on and bringing in players who could improve the team Drinan and Houston ( who’s contract was up ) was a positive window , there’s no way we were going to finish outside top four , none of the teams below us were in any better form than us 

Edited by Robbo63

41 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

there’s no way we were going to finish outside top four , none of the teams below us were in any better form than us 

.......apart from Arbroath and Morton, both of whom were in considerably better form than Ayr. Arbroath were just 4 points behind you with a game in hand.

It’s by no means certain that Ayr would have finished fourth had the league been played to its conclusion.

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Much of this stems from the attitude of "well, if it's safe to go to my work then it must be equally safe in my leisure time".  Personally I concur 100% with this attitude as it's either safe or it isn't. You can't have one rule for monday to friday and another for the weekend.

I'm with you here. 

5 hours ago, rb123! said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/partick-thistle-forced-massive-wage-22048042

Turns out i was right with that lol, can see Docherty trying to make a u-turn at the last minute and stay with us. 

Which in my view wouldn't bother me and be quite funny as he would effectively be giving McCall the middle finger but i know others views are he has burnt his bridges with us.

I hope he doesn’t stay with us. He was quite happy to jump ship to go to a “bigger club” so let him go and experience life in League 1 again. 

17 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

I can imagine he would, a slow 35 year on a full time contract knowing that he would get no better than us. I would too. 

Aye, it’s a bit of a non story but what else is there to talk about 😆

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I hope he doesn’t stay with us. He was quite happy to jump ship to go to a “bigger club” so let him go and experience life in League 1 again. 

He was doing what was best for him in his career, he has had a lot of time out with injuries so getting a pay bump and signing for Thistle is the right thing for him to do. If staying with us turns out to be the right thing to do them I am all for it. 

Him and Murdoch in the centre of the park were the reason we started as well this year. 

Doc will still go imo. He’s a decent enough Championship player and given the circumstances we’re currently in it would be one less player Kerr would have to sign.

I have no real ill will towards a player wanting greater financial security from a relatively short career.

Ross Docherty chose to leave Ayr in December. After that he had one decent game (County in the cup) was pish for a while after then got injured. Whinged in the paper about how unfair life is. Once his contract finishes with us, that should be him away. If Thistle don’t want to honour his contract/not pay him till Furlough is over then that’s his and their problem. I’m all for extending contracts of players who we will release and have the furlough scheme help them out financially (not top it up and at least they are getting something), but if Docherty comes with his begging bowl saying Thistle can’t pay him till they start playing then tough. He made his bed. 

We seem to have a decent reputation right now for looking after players and being a decent club to play for, but aye, let's chuck that in the bin and start being dicks to players because they had the audacity to try and earn a few quid more.

Ross Docherty chose to leave Ayr in December. After that he had one decent game (County in the cup) was pish for a while after then got injured. Whinged in the paper about how unfair life is. Once his contract finishes with us, that should be him away. If Thistle don’t want to honour his contract/not pay him till Furlough is over then that’s his and their problem. I’m all for extending contracts of players who we will release and have the furlough scheme help them out financially (not top it up and at least they are getting something), but if Docherty comes with his begging bowl saying Thistle can’t pay him till they start playing then tough. He made his bed. 

He wasn’t remotely pish after signing his pre contract. His performances were largely the same.

This is also a guy who has been involved in us winning the play offs, beating Kilmarnock and winning the league. He also stayed when we first got promoted after he had an excellent season and he had other offers.

I’d call getting Murdy on a two year deal a great bit of business . Getting Harvie will be up there with getting LS on that extension after we won the league .... Harvie is one of the best players in the Championship only bettered by maybe LS himself ...

Calm yourself doon.

Harvie is a very good prospect, but he's still got a bomb scare tendency, and there are better players in more important positions in the league.
 I have every confidence in Mark and Mick not being asleep at the wheel ,but the bean counters maybe not so . When we get started it will be as easy this season as last to pick three of the top four : Hearts Dundee and Inverness . The other team will be from the much less resourced group (obviously) , its the one with the most fore sight and boldest approach that will grab that last slot . It’s been us for the last two years .  Hopefully we will prevail again . However there is more work to be done in the market in this window than in the last two . We need to up our game . If we do , who knows , the prize might just be greater than fourth .

What a ridiculous prediction, declared with the confidence of a muppet.
I can imagine he would, a slow 35 year on a full time contract knowing that he would get no better than us. I would too. 

Stevie bell is our captain. He's a leader in the team, and calms things down when he plays.

Stop having a pop at the guy, he's been very good for us.
What an absolute cuntish move that would be. Are you 14?