The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Ive been laughing when games in England or Scotland are proposed as being played suitable to being played behind closed doors. 

Can you imagine the number of people unable to stay at home descending on the respective venues? 

IMO it just wouldn't / can't be a realistic proposition due to the strain it would place on the emergency services and ultimately infection rates. 

On the topic of Social distancing I was totally shocked to see Wrestle-mania go ahead. I know it was behind closed doors but wrestlers will still grappling each other. 
Might have been due to the sizeable donation made to Mr Trump's campaign from the McMahon family.

We call it corruption, americans call it lobbying.

As for the debates surrounding when football can return, there is so much scaremongering and doom-sayers when the reality is we just don't know the severity or longevity of this virus so it's all just conjecture.

A lot of the chat regarding social distancing/lockdown will need to remain in place is coming from people who are only looking at it from a medical point of view. Unfortunately, as callous as this is, no government will willingly destroy their economy beyond repair, even if there is a human cost. There will come a point where unemployment and poverty become a bigger concern. Football is, rightly so, far down the list of priorities but I highly doubt things will be able to continue as they are for significantly longer.

The other thing to remember is that all of these measures were never designed to stop the spread of the virus. It's about slowing the rate of infection to the point whereby the health service can cope. It's a fine balancing act that will take some time and careful planning but it will porbably need to happen sooner rather than later.

And before anyone says it, I am aware that people are dying and very ill and I am extremely sympathetic towards that. I fully agree that people should be taking measures to help slow the spread of the virus, but I'm also trying to look at things from a pragmatic view.

Plus, I really need to go back to workm daytime tv is shite.

Just to be clear, I've got no issue with the current lockdown being extended for the next 3 weeks, or even after that (in weeks though, surely).

The idea that we have to wait until there are cast iron guarantees that noone has the virus is simply unrealistic. There is always risk when you go outside, even before this. It's about controlling the risk in a way that doesn't obliterate your society.

I just don't think restrictions can be in place after something like September /October. I'm hoping that in 3 or 4 weeks there's a plan set out to gradually ease things off, whilst keeping sensible distancing rules in place.

We have to buy time in the short term. But it's the length of that that's the key.

And how do you propose players socially distance on the park?

If, after this lockdown, social distancing measures remain in place then there will be no football. It’s simply not realistic to expect the football to be back anytime soon.
What does anytime soon mean?

Players risk their career every time they step on to the pitch.

We have to find a way to manage this virus in the medium to long term.

What does anytime soon mean?

Players risk their career every time they step on to the pitch.

We have to find a way to manage this virus in the medium to long term.

Bit of a difference between getting a football injury and contracting a potentially lethal virus.

I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if we didn’t get to another game until 2021. The lockdown is going to run longer than the current 3 week period and who knows how long social distancing measures will be in place after the lockdown is lifted.

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Ive been laughing when games in England or Scotland are proposed as being played suitable to being played behind closed doors. 

Can you imagine the number of people unable to stay at home descending on the respective venues? 

IMO it just wouldn't / can't be a realistic proposition due to the strain it would place on the emergency services and ultimately infection rates. 

If the EPL got going right now behind closed doors the pay per view potential would be huge. More than enough profit to pay for some stewards to keep the stadia  surroundings clear 

Would any club let people into their ground when there is a chance of someone dying due to people converging for a football game?

Would there not be a huge risk of the club being sued for negligence?

Knowingly bringing people together while there is a killer global pandemic would surely be an ‘ambulance chasers’ dream!

I tell you what - if we are let back into Somerset Park before 2021, I’ll pay everyone in [emoji106][emoji16]

Random thought that came into my head and I know it's not important but the grass will be getting into some state at Somerset if there's nobody going into the stadium atm.

Probably the first time in the history of Somerset Park that the grass won't be getting maintained.

24 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Random thought that came into my head and I know it's not important but the grass will be getting into some state at Somerset if there's nobody going into the stadium atm.

Probably the first time in the history of Somerset Park that the grass won't be getting maintained.

I would imagine the groudsman will be allowed too go about his buisness .

2 hours ago, AyrExile said:

If the EPL got going right now behind closed doors the pay per view potential would be huge. More than enough profit to pay for some stewards to keep the stadia  surroundings clear 

Its not just as simple as keeping the stadia clear though is it. Let's say Liverpool, Leeds or Celtic for example are going to win the league on a given week. 

Tens of thousands would still have to travel to be there, whether that's home or away and you can clearly forget social distancing. I dread to see the fallout and how the authorities can cope with that. 

Fans cant be trusted to stay away, it's as simple as that. 

Had a quick look the other night and the pitch looks lush and perfect, so groundsman must be maintaining the pitch, just as we are at the nearby bowling club working alone. Bowling clubs spend a lot of money getting there greens ready for the season and not to maintain it once a week would be disastrous for the green.

Would any club let people into their ground when there is a chance of someone dying due to people converging for a football game?

Would there not be a huge risk of the club being sued for negligence?

Knowingly bringing people together while there is a killer global pandemic would surely be an ‘ambulance chasers’ dream!

I tell you what - if we are let back into Somerset Park before 2021, I’ll pay everyone in [emoji106][emoji16]
This response seems over the top to me.

Yes we need to continue the current lockdown, possibly extended it again.

But you're suggesting that we keep things with crowds of people shut for a year. That would be catastrophic for football clubs but also plenty of other businesses. The govt can't bail everyone out for that length of time. It's not feasible. So do we just pay that price? It's an overreaction.

And no club would go against government advice. You can't pinpoint when you got a virus anyway, so there would be no law suits.

The current lockdown is to save the nhs from being overwhelmed. Its not to save every life.

On a slightly different topic.
Did anyone notice this? Shiny teeth bleating...
Former Ayr United boss Mark Roberts admits he can't face return to Somerset Park
If only he had the self awareness to recognise this at the time: "In hindsight, the writing was on the wall for me after the Cowdenbeath play-off defeat in that second season"
Although he goes on to blame the tight budget. I still don't think he accepts he simply wasn't up to it.
A great player for us, that goal versus Hibs being one of my faves. A god awful Manager. Unfortunately, the later trumps the former for me. 🤷‍♂️

Why?!

He was an excellent player for us.
He tried his best as our manager, you can’t expect someone with things to pay for to just up and quit.

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Its not just as simple as keeping the stadia clear though is it. Let's say Liverpool, Leeds or Celtic for example are going to win the league on a given week. 

Tens of thousands would still have to travel to be there, whether that's home or away and you can clearly forget social distancing. I dread to see the fallout and how the authorities can cope with that. 

Fans cant be trusted to stay away, it's as simple as that. 

If the current lockdown rules continue you have a point.. The way we are being asked to behave in a few weeks may look different to the rules today. Behind closed doors games might then not seem as much of a quantum leap

If the current lockdown rules continue you have a point.. The way we are being asked to behave in a few weeks may look different to the rules today. Behind closed doors games might then not seem as much of a quantum leap

If games are behind closed doors then that means we’d have to pay players wages in full. That isn’t possible to do if the club isn’t selling tickets.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

If games are behind closed doors then that means we’d have to pay players wages in full. That isn’t possible to do if the club isn’t selling tickets.

I wasn’t meaning Ayr. This was about EPL clubs that can afford to test players, have a big squad for when some get ill and the money at stake makes the risk worthwhile