The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

While we’re on the topic of players and giving the fact I’m already bored of no sport what would you do with regards the playing squad for next season presuming this season won’t start up again and we’ll be playing championship football next year. For me:

Loan Endings:

Ross Doohan- Will return to Celtic however would obviously be open to getting him back although I suspect he’ll be off to a premiership team or league 1 or 2 team down in England. 

Stephen Kelly- Will return to Rangers however would also be open to getting him back next season however don’t think there is any chance of that happening. Will go higher up the food chain imo. 

Connor Malley- Will return to Middlesbrough. He’s done okay thus far however don’t think I’ve seen enough of him to decide whether I’d want him back next season.

Scott Tiffoney- Will return to Livingston and similar to Malley I haven’t seen enough of him to make a decision on whether I’d want him back. I was however very impressed with him on Tuesday night. 

Aaron Drinan- Will return to Ipswich Town however I’ve liked the look of him so far and would be open to getting him back next year as an attacking option.

Contracted for next season (As far as I know):

Ellis Hare Reid- McCall said at the beginning of the season that the plan was for EHR to be our number 1 the following season. I’m not sure if Kerr shares this view and not seen enough of him to decide whether this would be a wise move.

Jordan Houston- Will more than likely be our starting right back next year and I’m completely fine with that.

Sam Roscoe- It’s difficult to asses how his first season at the club has went- has spent quite a lot of it as back up centre back however has started quite a few games in recent games and done ok. Not convinced he will be a starter next season.

Finn Ecrepont- Think next season is the last year of his contract. Suspect he may have a bigger role to play unless he’s not progressed as quickly as the coaches thought. 

Luke McCowan- Luke McCowan broke on the scene  the end of last season/start of this season and was a contender for POTY however his performances since Christmas have tailed off a wee bit. Hopefully he can find his form again and he will be a massive player for us next year and hopefully for many more years to come. 

Craig Moore-  I’m a big fan of Craig Moore and if he was constantly fit I think he’d be playing in the premiership however he can never seem to Stay fit for a prolonged period of time. I hope next season his fortunes change. 

Mark McKenzie- Dont know enough about him to make a judgment. Currently on loan at Forfar and not sure how he’s doing. Suspect he will be 3rd or 4th choice striker again next year. 

Keep for Next season: 

Daniel Harvie- My POTY without a doubt. Would love to see him signing on again but strongly suspect he’ll be off. 

Steven Bell- This is one that could go either way but based on him being the captain and clearly popular in the dressing room I’d be inclined to give him another year but used predominately as back up CB and CM. 

Aaron Muirhead- I suspect I may be in the minority but I really like Aero and would keep him. There is no doubts he’s prone to his moments of madness however Shen he’s on his game I think he’s a very solid Centre Back. 

Andy Murdoch- I love Andy Murdoch more than life itself. He was our best midfielder before his injury and I would be absolutely  buzzing to see him staying and I think he will as I think he may feel he owes the club one after them playing his wages for the majority of the season while he’s been out 

Ross Docherty- I know he’s obviously signed the PCA with Partick Thistle however got a feeling that if Partick are relegated this may be null and voided and if so I would be happy to see him stay. He’s certainly upped his game this season imo. 

Alan Forrest- Like Docherty he has signed a PCA however unlike Docherty I don’t see there being any way this PCA would be voided. Good luck Alan

Release at the end of the season:

Grant Gillespie- Not really seen enough of him to make a fair, Proper judgement however based on what I’ve seen I wouldn’t be in any great rush to offer him anything

Andy Geggan- This genuinely hurts to post this but I think Geggsy should be released. He’s been a great servant for us and will always be remembered for his goal against them up the road however he isn’t first choice anymore and is very injury prone. Like the HBK said to Ric Flair being sweet chin musicing him “I’m sorry, I love you.” 

Michael Moffat- ”Aye no bother Ayrunitedfw just get rid of all the club legends why don’t you”. Similar to Geggan there is no doubt Moffat is a club legend. Close to 100 goals for the club is some achievement and it’s just a pity he doesn’t look like reaching the big 100 this season. However I do think his time is up. Got a feeling Kerr might offer him something and tbh I’m not totally against that however I would be looking at him having a more of a back up role. 

Think I’ve covered everyone. 

I’m glad a lot of people are on the same wave length as me about Moore, apart from his first season he has been shocking in his performances and fitness has been stealing money, don’t know what Kerr was thinking extending his contract got too go  down as Kerrs  howler. Maybe just me but I’ve never seen anything apart from that first season. They’re is absolutely no one queuing up for him the rumours of Partick were way wide of the mark before January his old pal at Partick done the trick for him.

Of the current loans we’ve got I’d love it if we could get Doohan and Kelly back for another season. Doohan hasn’t been quite as good as last season but he’s still a good keeper. I don’t think we stand much chance of getting Kelly though. I think he’s got a real chance of getting into Rangers first team in a year or so and as such I think he’ll maybe spend a year down South in League 1. Malley and Tiffoney haven’t shown enough to be brought back for next season and I’m undecided on Drinan.

Doc and Forrest have obviously signed PCA although it will be interesting to see if they are impacted in any way by the current situation.

I’m a big believer in keeping most of a squad together simply for a bit of consistency otherwise you need a complete overhaul every summer. I’d offer extensions to everyone apart from Gillespie, Geggan and one of Muirhead or Bell. Geggan is simply finished at this level and we get fewer and fewer games out him each season whilst Gillespie is too slow for my liking and looks like nothing more than a temporary replacement whilst Geggan is out injured. I love Stevie Bell but I’m edging closer to putting him in the same boat as Geggan. He’s not quite finished but he’s had a few iffy games this season and his injuries are going to be become more frequent. It’s either him or Muirhead for me. I have a real love/hate relationship with “Aero”. I think he’s a complete bellend at times and very limited but he’s had a few stand out performances as well. I thought he was excellent in our wins against ICT, Ross County and Dunfermline and looked comfy in midfield against Dundee United. However those performances will always be mirrored by games like QOTS away or St Johnstone in the cup. He’s a complete hot head at times.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

In what way? Who do you disagree with. The 

My thoughts are more or less as D'Jaffo posted above. 

I disagree on the following:

Releasing Moffat, he will be more of a backup player next season and I expect he'll also assist with the coaching.

Retaining Bell & Muirhead seemed a bit strange to me. I would keep 1 or release both. I'm tending more to releasing both as Aero is too much of a hot head.

Retaining Docherty - That is a non starter. I think it's better for all concerned to part ways.

January loans - I think it's too early for a proper judgement here. I would probably try to bring Drinan back. Not too sure about the other two though.

I can well understand people being skeptical about Moffat. Starts every season being pretty much unplayable then slowly disappears over Christmas and only has a handful of good games after that. I still think he’s worth keeping around though.

Docherty can leave tbh.

Micheal Moffat is the best footballer in the team. I know he's 35, but he would make a good impact sub against tired defenders. 

Between Roscoe, Bell and Muirhead, at least 2 of them should be showing the door. There's always a mistake between the 3 of them. 

I wouldn't mind Drinan staying for next season, definitely the best player out of the 4 signings. 

Trying to get Murdoch back for next season is a must and possibly an ambitious new contract for Harvie (if possible).

Of the contracted players for next season, how many are guaranteed starters?

Only my opinion but I’d say we’re looking at,

GK (Doohan)

Houston
CB
Roscoe
LB (Harvie?)

CM (Murdoch?)
CM

McCowan
AM
LM

ST

Getting the likes of Harvie, Murdoch and one of Bell or Muirhead tied up gives us a stronger base to build from. Priorities in the summer will be the centre of midfield and a bit of quality going forward. Preferably not filling each position with young guys either.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Of the contracted players for next season, how many are guaranteed starters?

Only my opinion but I’d say we’re looking at,

GK (Doohan)

Houston
CB
Roscoe
LB (Harvie?)

CM (Murdoch?)
CM

McCowan
AM
LM

ST

Getting the likes of Harvie, Murdoch and one of Bell or Muirhead tied up gives us a stronger base to build from. Priorities in the summer will be the centre of midfield and a bit of quality going forward. Preferably not filling each position with young guys either.

If Doohan would come back next season, I'd imagine it would be permanent.