The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

The very people who say we shouldn’t rush to judgement because of a handful of bad results are the exact same people who get carried away over a handful of good results.  
I usually find the opposite is true.

You get the folk who don't like the manager and they'll always be grudging in their praise, and quick to criticise. And probably a few happy clappers.

But a lot of folk just enjoy the wins and suffer the defeats (maybe so much that a little perspective is lost). It's what makes the game beautiful.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

But a lot of folk just enjoy the wins and suffer the defeats (maybe so much that a little perspective is lost). It's what makes the game beautiful.

I'm definitely guilty of this, especially after the game. It takes me a couple of days to watch the highlights when we lose. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Reading this, makes you wonder about all the players at Ayr over the last few seasons that dropped out the team to a mystery injury. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/sfa-chiefs-secret-gambling-ban-21412212

Easy to work out who that is, too many breadcrumbs. 

2 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Just look at yesterday's results and you can see just how difficult this league can be to get results in. To publicly come on a forum and declare a points target is crazy and more than a bit disrespectful to other clubs. 

We're a capable team but show more than enough inconsistency to calm the chat of points targets down a bit, certainly publicly. 

We'll certainly need to keep better and more prolonged possession than we did on Friday night and carry more of an attacking threat if we hope to remain in the playoff places and then get success in them. 

For me a big crossroads in this season is coming up for us for a whole variety of reasons. 

Keep the faith regardless of one or two results that perhaps don't go our way. There's always a bigger picture. 

I was thinking yesterday that maybe it's a good thing we drew, folk would be demanding a title race is on after Dundee Utd got beat. 

2 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Just look at yesterday's results and you can see just how difficult this league can be to get results in. To publicly come on a forum and declare a points target is crazy and more than a bit disrespectful to other clubs. 

We're a capable team but show more than enough inconsistency to calm the chat of points targets down a bit, certainly publicly. 

We'll certainly need to keep better and more prolonged possession than we did on Friday night and carry more of an attacking threat if we hope to remain in the playoff places and then get success in them. 

For me a big crossroads in this season is coming up for us for a whole variety of reasons. 

Keep the faith regardless of one or two results that perhaps don't go our way. There's always a bigger picture. 

A decent rule of thumb is to try and win your home games and a draw away from home is then more than acceptable, however although this league is extremely tight and every club is capable of beating each other at any given time, I don't think it's unacceptable to be hoping for 2 wins and a draw against sides who are below you in the league and whom you are unbeaten against. 

Maybe as a club / support we're a bit too defeatist and pessimistic and I include myself in this.

As we've seen over the past couple of seasons there's absolutely nobody in this league who we should be worried about despite the big reputations of some of the clubs and their playing staff and no doubt Arbroath feel exactly the same way seeing what they're actually up against each week.

Personally I'd like to see Kerr have a formation change and revert back to our possession based football as while the solid formation worked against Ross county and Inverness, I'm not convinced that it plays to our strengths against every other side.......

I'd prefer he ignore possession for the sake of it, and focus entirely on purposefulb attacking play when we have the ball. No passing for the sake of it - but instead b have options to go forward at all times (in behind the full backs / moff and Forrest dropping into the hole / overlapping FB runs).

Playing with the right tempo when we have the ball is the key.

When we don't we need that structure and potential to hit on the break.

But Kerr kens the score. I didn't think we were too defensive against ICT, and actually they were more desperate when trying to build attacks. We had a bit more purpose about us, even though we never scored when we created the chances.

28 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

A decent rule of thumb is to try and win your home games and a draw away from home is then more than acceptable, however although this league is extremely tight and every club is capable of beating each other at any given time, I don't think it's unacceptable to be hoping for 2 wins and a draw against sides who are below you in the league and whom you are unbeaten against. 

Maybe as a club / support we're a bit too defeatist and pessimistic and I include myself in this.

As we've seen over the past couple of seasons there's absolutely nobody in this league who we should be worried about despite the big reputations of some of the clubs and their playing staff and no doubt Arbroath feel exactly the same way seeing what they're actually up against each week.

Personally I'd like to see Kerr have a formation change and revert back to our possession based football as while the solid formation worked against Ross county and Inverness, I'm not convinced that it plays to our strengths against every other side.......

You would accept there's a big difference between hoping for something and giving it the big I am publicly on here. 

We're not that far ahead of anyone, in terms of points or ability, that we can take that attitude surely? 

I'd rather keep outperforming expectations, attendances and budgets and let the team do our talking for us. 

Edited by BukyOHare

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I'd prefer he ignore possession for the sake of it, and focus entirely on purposefulb attacking play when we have the ball. No passing for the sake of it - but instead b have options to go forward at all times (in behind the full backs / moff and Forrest dropping into the hole / overlapping FB runs).

Playing with the right tempo when we have the ball is the key.

When we don't we need that structure and potential to hit on the break.

But Kerr kens the score. I didn't think we were too defensive against ICT, and actually they were more desperate when trying to build attacks. We had a bit more purpose about us, even though we never scored when we created the chances.

Looking back at Fridays game there were spells, particularly at the start of each half, when we knocked the ball about with a purpose and a tempo to our play. 

There were other times when default seemed to be a hoof up to Drinan. 

The conditions underfoot and overhead had a huge influence on Fridays match but I'd hope the players will have enough about them to play in the right areas at the right time. 

Watching the players warm ups on Friday, we have a lot of technical ability about us, it's being able to take that into a match situation and in the right formation we can do that. 

I'd like to see the midfield get closer to Drinan, or whoever's upfront, and keep him in the middle area of the pitch. He works that hard that he's often out wide / out of position when deliveries are put into the box. 

Tweeks required rather than wholesale panic or the whole scale emotional roller-coaster if we dont get 2 points a game between now and the end of the season. There'll be times when our backs are against the wall and some hard work and application will get us a result. 

Players throwing a strop need to snap out of it quickly as well. It's got to all be about the team. Big picture, one game at a time stuff for me. If we stick to our strengths we'll all be satisfied. 

19 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

You would accept there's a big difference between hoping for something and giving it the big I am publicly on here. 

We're not that far ahead of anyone, in terms of points or ability, that we can take that attitude surely? 

I'd rather keep outperforming expectations, attendances and budgets and let the team do our talking for us. 

In fairness I've seen nothing from Morton over the past couple of seasons that makes me think we should be taking anything other than three points against them, especially as we're at home. Alloa have been in the bottom two most of the season and we've already beaten them twice this, so again if we're putting out a fully fit and firing side then we should certainly be looking for the three points. I'd be more than happy with a point at Arbroath.

That's my own personal cards on the table and not the views of Ayr United football club, I may end up with egg on my face and we may lose all three matches, but that's football and I'm just saying what I, as a season ticket holder, honestly believe from what I've seen of my own team and others.

I really don't think there's anything wrong with that ??

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In fairness I've seen nothing from Morton over the past couple of seasons that makes me think we should be taking anything other than three points against them, especially as we're at home.

Craig McGuffie? I have a horrible feeling he might bite us in the @rse. That could just be my defeatist outlook though. 🤷‍♂️

36 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

McGuffie will barely get more of a chance at Morton than he did at us. If he wanted guaranteed games he should have dropped down a league.

Nothing against him but I’m not convinced it was the best move.

Means prob going part time and with less money though.

And going by Kerr's interview it sounds like he was desperate to get out, maybe not all to do with game time.

Edited by UpInTheAyr

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

2 wins  at home a draw and win away with those tactics , why change if it’s working , might not be very pretty but certainly effective 

16 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

2 wins  at home a draw and win away with those tactics , why change if it’s working , might not be very pretty but certainly effective 

Because it’s only working until it doesn’t? Tactics should be whatever takes best advantage of the opponent’s weaknesses, unless we have an overwhelming talent advantage.

36 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

As Iain has just said it's like a horses for courses scenario.

I know not everyone agrees with me but I thought we were extremely fortunate to get a point on Friday and never at any stage did we look likely to win the match as apart from the first 10 mins, we created virtually nothing.