The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

38 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It was good to win that today but the tactics for the last 30 mins were questionable. We were on top and opted to sub a striker for a defender and then defend on our 6 yard line. I could get that with 10 mins to go but not 30! Shades of Brian Reid tbh.

That being said, still a day of positives:

We actually beat Highland hammer throwers for the first time in a long time. Let's make it two in a row next week.

Team turned in a very good performance.

Drinan looks like a good find, he gives us a good out ball, he can bring it down, head it on and has some pace about him. Too early to say whether he can finish.

Thought it was a good substitution, County just brought in a 6.3 striker so we obviously needed to bring on some height at back to help defend the high balls they continued to launch ,  had to be Moff or Kerr off , I thought it was right choice 

Thought it was a good substitution, County just brought in a 6.3 striker so we obviously needed to bring on some height at back to help defend the high balls they continued to launch ,  had to be Moff or Kerr off , I thought it was right choice 

True. But a bit galling that we dominated the first half and in the second half gave them the freedom of Somerset

Drinan was by no means slated on Radio Scotland. Chick Young said his touch wasn’t great but he put himself about and had decent pace. Richard Gordon then said if he had everything he wouldn’t be on loan to us which is fair enough.

They were always going to throw more at it in the second half so I've no issue with bringing Roscoe on and using Drinan and Forrest as our outs.

It's certainly not a move we would've made under McCall. We would've held a higher line and McKay would likely have scored.

7 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

ETA - Just realised Erwin didn't go off. Graham certainly came on but dealing with high balls being shelled shouldn't necessarily mean bringing on another centre halve and defending on our 6 yard line.

Edited by Trogdor

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

County subbed a 6 foot 2 striker (Erwin) for another 6 foot 2 striker (Graham). I'm not sure playing 5 at the back was at all neccessary.

Ross County were pretty poor from front to back.

Erwin stayed on, County went 3 up top. Paton and Spittal came off. 

3 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Erwin stayed on, County went 3 up top. Paton and Spittal came off. 

See above, I ammended that.

On a number of occasions Docherty was our furthest player forward and just so happened to be in our own half. It was not some tactical masterstroke, we invited County onto us repeatedly, they were just brutal.

12 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

True. But a bit galling that we dominated the first half and in the second half gave them the freedom of Somerset

Good game management ??? Give Kerr credit he knew we had  to sit deeper and let them come onto us , done the same at Dunfermline and got the three points , it’s not all about playing silky football 

Edited by Robbo63

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

See above, I ammended that.

On a number of occasions Docherty was our furthest player forward and just so happened to be in our own half. It was not some tactical masterstroke, we invited County onto us repeatedly, they were just brutal.

How can you say it was not tactical, he fine it 2 weeks ago also , guy is more tactically aware than McCall was when he was here , as someone mentioned above  McCall would not have made that sub , which worked out well for us today 

8 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Good game management ??? Give Kerr credit he knew we had  to sit deeper and let them come onto us , done the same at Dunfermline and got the three points , it’s not all about playing silky football 

Sorry but comparing that to Dunfermline is totally unfair. We defended with men behind the ball and countered at Dunfermline. We didn't make a decision to defend for the last 30/35 mins with 10 men behind the ball and retreat to our six yard box. We did that today though.

The important thing is that we won but it wasn't a tactical masterclass. Unlike Dunfermline where the tactics were spot on.

The decision was tactical but the end doesn't necessarily justify the means. I think we made harder work of that today than it should have been and made Ross County look better than they were in the last 30/35 mins.

Edited by Trogdor

5 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

How can you say it was not tactical, he fine it 2 weeks ago also , guy is more tactically aware than McCall was when he was here , as someone mentioned above  McCall would not have made that sub , which worked out well for us today 

I didn't say it wasn't tactical. Of course it was but it wasn't some masterstroke.

I'm all for supporting the manager and have done so. However, you're being a bit sycophantic and a bit harsh on his predecessor (which I'm all for).

ETA - Just realised Erwin didn't go off. Graham certainly came on but dealing with high balls being shelled shouldn't necessarily mean bringing on another centre halve and defending on our 6 yard line.

This is nonsense.

We comfortably saw out the game. If a team play with three strikers, two of which are huge, you need to be able to mark them. If we only had Muirhead and Bell back there then there was far greater chance of then scoring.

This is nonsense.

We comfortably saw out the game. If a team play with three strikers, two of which are huge, you need to be able to mark them. If we only had Muirhead and Bell back there then there was far greater chance of then scoring.

That’s fine but why give up 3 quarter of the park to the opponents?

Just now, No_Problemo said:

This is nonsense.

Your definition of comfortable must be different to mine. For me defending on our own six yard line is never comfortable especially given the individual errors each of our centre halves is capable of.

Not quite sure how it is nonsense but there you go. 

who knows idk GIF

2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

We won , not pretty to watch at times today but I thought tactics were right today , we forced them to punt high balls as defending so deep we did not allow them to play through  the defence 

3 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

County never created anything all match. I said (possibly on the match thread) that bringing on the extra striker wasn’t the answer to their problem. They never had anyone on the pitch to actually create or play that killer ball. By matching them 3 for 3, we killed off their attack’s.