The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Does anyone know how to get your matchday ticket loaded to your season ticket ?

It should go on automatically or at least it did for me with the League Cup matches. I’d take a paper copy of the ticket or an electronic copy just in case.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It should go on automatically or at least it did for me with the League Cup matches. I’d take a paper copy of the ticket or an electronic copy just in case.

Cheers, although I seem to have an issue even logging in to my account as it keeps saying "Account doesn't exist" ??

Cheers, although I seem to have an issue even logging in to my account as it keeps saying "Account doesn't exist" ??

I didn’t bother logging into my account. Whether or not that means the ticket won’t be on my season card I’m not sure.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I didn’t bother logging into my account. Whether or not that means the ticket won’t be on my season card I’m not sure.

Where's Robbo when you need him ???

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I just printed off the A4 size so hopefully won't lose the damn thing. Although in a moment of brain freeze I did try and use my Ayr season ticket to open the barriers at Central this morning (rather than my scotrail smartcard), unsurprisingly it didn't work..........

10 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

What happened to the other guy from Ipswich? Probably about to sign for Thistle!

Aye, A bit weird we haven't announced the other guy at the same time. He sounded the more promising of the two and had a cracking name so will be disappointed if it doesn't happen. :lol:

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

The size / attendances of the club is relevant because that contributes greatly to the budget the club works to which in turn, should, I say should, bring the standard of the squad and by definition the academy of the club to the comparable standard. 

Not really. League One clubs aren't generally bringing boys from abroad in so fundamentally they are just working with bigger budgets for the same population base they always had. The average wages go up but it doesn't mean the player quality directly does. England has a population 10 times the size of Scotland (give or take). It's going to have a lot of better players and a lot of better young players. It also has a lot more clubs to share them around. The boys from Ipswich's 3rd squad might be good, they might not. You can't assume they will be because they play (or more accurately, don't play) for Ipswich.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

There’s only one player currently playing in this league that could go and comfortably play in League One and that’s Shankland. A few of the goalies might do ok but that’s about it. It’s just a better level down South.

That's just nonsense. There are plenty of players in this division who could do a job in League One given the opportunity. It's not superstardom we're talking about here. The average standard in English League One is certainly better than it is here but it's not so different that only a single player could get a game down there.

That's just nonsense. There are plenty of players in this division who could do a job in League One given the opportunity. It's not superstardom we're talking about here. The average standard in English League One is certainly better than it is here but it's not so different that only a single player could get a game down there.

You’ll be able to provide examples of players that could slot into that league easily enough.

I never doubted they could get a game. I doubted that they wouldn’t look out of place. Shankland is the only one (Dorrans at a push) that would easily cope in that league.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’ll be able to provide examples of players that could slot into that league easily enough.

I never doubted they could get a game. I doubted that they wouldn’t look out of place. Shankland is the only one (Dorrans at a push) that would easily cope in that league.

Not counting goalkeepers, since you excluded them yourself, Dorrans could easily play that level. I would think the likes of Liam Smith, Kevin Holt and Daniel Harvie could. Your own Luke McCowan seems to be regarded as a prospect. Allan Forrest? A fully fit Joe Thomson could do so easily. Personally I think Dom Thomas could too. Greg Kiltie could (he's not here now but he was until a fortnight ago). Kevin Nisbet maybe. I think Dundee United will have a few midfielders who could play regularly. I actually think Nicky Clark would do fine though he's currently injured. Aaron Doran. Stephen Dobbie played above that level all his career and certainly up to the end of last season would easily have coped though he hasn't been quite at those heights this season. Personally I think Darren Brownlie could do so ( I may be biased). There will be others, it's not meant to be exhaustive, and some players will not fit some places in some systems where others might. English defenders tend to be bigger, particularly at full back so not convinced the likes of Jordan Marshall would be coveted.

It is a better level down there but not a different world.

50 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not really. League One clubs aren't generally bringing boys from abroad in so fundamentally they are just working with bigger budgets for the same population base they always had. The average wages go up but it doesn't mean the player quality directly does. England has a population 10 times the size of Scotland (give or take). It's going to have a lot of better players and a lot of better young players. It also has a lot more clubs to share them around. The boys from Ipswich's 3rd squad might be good, they might not. You can't assume they will be because they play (or more accurately, don't play) for Ipswich.

These were more or less the points I was trying to make (probably not very well), for all there are a few big clubs from a traditional sense in League 1, There's also a lot of complete and utter dross and paying a dumpling £2k+ per week doesn't change this fact.

Yes, there's no doubt that it's a higher level than the Scottish Championship but I don't think it's a hugely higher level and there's certainly many players in our league who would easily do a job down there at that level.

Our very own Michael Rose who while good for us, was far from infallible, is going great guns down there and is playing for a team around the top of the league and as you say guys such as Dobbie & Dorrans played well above that level for most of their careers. 

As I've said before, I honestly hope the boy from Ipswich (or anywhere else for that matter) does well but the mere fact that it's Ipswich as opposed to a Burton or a Peterborough shouldn't cloud anyone's judgement and at the same time unless any young boy coming in on loan is exceptional, then I'd far rather see our own youths be given a chance the way we've done with McCowan as that's really the only way forward for clubs like ours.....