The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 hours ago, Hursty said:

On the subject of loans - Craig Murray from Aberdeen was another recent ish one, think he was one of McCalls first signings.  Can also remember a young striker from St Johnstone that wasnt very good in the Brian Reid days.  Also Danny McKay from Killie - good first time round then hopeless when we got him back!  

Stephen Reynolds?

9 hours ago, diege said:

I think the motto of the thread here, is loans from down South can work very well!

They can, however my only worry would be that we're taking youth players from a mid table league 1 side which would make me question how much better than our own youths they actually are ??

Hopefully I'm wrong and they turn out to be brilliant.......

34 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

They can, however my only worry would be that we're taking youth players from a mid table league 1 side which would make me question how much better than our own youths they actually are ??

Hopefully I'm wrong and they turn out to be brilliant.......

They're currently third, were in the Championship last season and average just short of 20,000 at home games. They've also got an excellent reputation and history in producing players through their academy. 

Every signing carries a risk, let's go with it and see how they get on. 

Edited by BukyOHare

15 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

They're currently third, were in the Championship last season and average just short of 20,000 at home games. 

Every signing carries a risk, let's go with it and see how they get on. 

Irrespective of their club size, they're still plying their trade in the third tier of English Football which isn't a great level by any stretch of the imagination.

My main point however is that unless these guys are top notch then I wouldn't like to see them come in and stifle the chances / development of a Mark McKenzie or Finn Ecrepont.

In the cases of Doohan & Kelly, both these boys are exceptional and already had international recognition prior to joining Ayr, also they were playing for two of the biggest clubs in Britain, so again I'd stress that although at our level players are a must, I only hope that they're a big upgrade on what we already have otherwise we're probably committing a footballing version of harry carry..............

Irrespective of their club size, they're still plying their trade in the third tier of English Football which isn't a great level by any stretch of the imagination.
My main point however is that unless these guys are top notch then I wouldn't like to see them come in and stifle the chances / development of a Mark McKenzie or Finn Ecrepont.
In the cases of Doohan & Kelly, both these boys are exceptional and already had international recognition prior to joining Ayr, also they were playing for two of the biggest clubs in Britain, so again I'd stress that although at our level players are a must, I only hope that they're a big upgrade on what we already have otherwise we're probably committing a footballing version of harry carry..............

Two of the biggest clubs in Britain? Really? A lot teams in the English championship would be classed as bigger than the OF!

We need reinforcement and you can’t write these guys off until you see them play! Mark Kerr knows what a decent player looks like so I think he won’t sign them if he’s not happy with their quality

7 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Two of the biggest clubs in Britain? Really? A lot teams in the English championship would be classed as bigger than the OF!

We need reinforcement and you can’t write these guys off until you see them play! Mark Kerr knows what a decent player looks like so I think he won’t sign them if he’s not happy with their quality

We could get into the whole "what makes a big club ?" argument but most likely pretty pointless, however Burky was quoting Ipswich's fan base as why they were a big club and I was merely doing the same with the two biggest Scottish Clubs although I don't think anyone in their right mind would truly believe that Ipswich are anywhere near the level of Rangers or Celtic currently or indeed have anything like their infrastructure.

As I said though, I DO hope that the boys do well and obviously hope that they are much better than what we currently have at our disposal as God knows we urgently NEED some reinforcements...........

18 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's a better standard than you're giving it credit for, I promise you. 

Of course that's no guarantee of success in getting young players from teams in the league, but let's give a bit of credit to the management team that they know what they're doing. 

Not sure that we are in a position to scoff at the third tier of English football, we could do a lot worse than looking at players that Ipswich/Sunderland/Rotherham might be willing to let go on loan.

Killie have just signed a player from Southend United, St Mirren's striker Obika was previously at third tier Oxford. Not quite sure what standard people think the Scottish Championship is but if you believe that the English third tier is in any way inferior, I am afraid you would be mistaken.

15 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Not sure that we are in a position to scoff at the third tier of English football, we could do a lot worse than looking at players that Ipswich/Sunderland/Rotherham might be willing to let go on loan.

Killie have just signed a player from Southend United, St Mirren's striker Obika was previously at third tier Oxford. Not quite sure what standard people think the Scottish Championship is but if you believe that the English third tier is in any way inferior, I am afraid you would be mistaken.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all, however it would be perfectly conceivable to believe that these boys are at least 3rd choice in their positions at Ipswich, so I guess what I'm saying is that 3rd choice players at clubs in the 3rd tier of English football most likely ARE inferior to first choice players at Scottish Championship clubs.

As I say, they may be very promising and still developing and for whatever reason Lambert may feel that they're not quite ready for the Ipswich first team but in that case I only hope that they ARE ready for the Ayr first team, otherwise it's a pretty pointless exercise...........

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The level of football they come from is irrelevant, we are now a top half championship side but almost all of our youth players development was in Scottish league one, would you not take Luke McCowan on loan on that basis? 

6 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Notice other cup games this weekend prices at £12 while ours is £18 is their a reason behind this .?

Either clubs agreed the price or they couldn't agree the price and it then reverts to normal home price. 

7 hours ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

An English side like Sunderland would romp the championship up here.... Just saying English lower leagues much higher standard than our lower leagues.... 

I'm amazed that people actually think differently. I'm all for being positive about the Scottish game but there's no way the lower leagues are comparable.

Michael Rose doing very well by all accounts but I'm sure he'd be the first to accept the higher standards in technical play but also pace and physicality.

The product you generally get is dictated by your budget, the average wage in the English League 1 is between £1800 and £2500 apparently. Average wage. 

Ipswich's youth academy is funded by the owner to the tune of £2m a year. That's double our clubs annual turnover for the year. Perspective. 

Edited by BukyOHare

I’ve no idea what kind of players they are but Kerr spoke about getting players in that can add a bit of physicality so I’d imagine the striker at the very least can offer that. If he does well then we’ll be in pole position to get him after his contract expires and if he flops it’s only a short term loan where I can’t see us paying a huge percentage of his wages.

On paper McGavin seems to be the one to be most excited about.