The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

We really do need to change our business model as a club and actually start making money on these players. It's completely unsustainable to lose all these guys for nothing on PCA. Say we'd sold all of our best players recently for some money, this is just a guess at how much we'd have got for them.

Shankland - £200,000

Rose - £100,000

Smith - £80,000

Crawford - £50,000

McDaid - £50,000

Docherty - £30,000

Forrest - £50,000

That would be us sitting with over £550,000 which for a club like us is huge amounts of money. I know people would say if we sold our best players then we wouldn't be where we are but we would be able to actually buy players and also offer good wages to players so we probably wouldn't be worse off. Plus we'd tie in sell on clauses which meant with the likes of Shankland and Rose we'd be laughing to the bank. Also invest some of the money back into the club, instead of relying on gate, shop, hospitality and directors pockets for income.

So as a matter of interest what 'business model' is it that you'd have used to change this? As has been pointed out before, players are not slave labour and hold almost all the power. If they don't want to sign longer term contracts (and most of them don't) then they won;t and you can't make them. If they don't want sold to the English non Leagues or darkest China then you can't make them go no matter how attractive the fee is.

Your fees are almost certainly exaggerated too.

35 minutes ago, rb123! said:

No wonder nobody is interested in buying the club when the policy is buy hidden gems for free and then sell for free in a few years.

In hindsight we could have probably sold Shankland this time last year and got away with it as he was injured and hardly scoring for most of the second half of the season. The club though would have yes got pelters if they'd cashed in January

Losing our better players is inevitable, however what I'm finding hard to take is losing our better players to our peers such as Partick and Dundee where they're not really furthering their careers.

Don't get me wrong, both of those clubs are better equipped than ourselves financially due to higher gates and general support, however CAN they be offering such a wage premium to ourselves to have players move out their comfort zone, move away from friends and relatives and move home etc  (more in the case of Dundee obviously) and yet still be playing at the same level or even lower ??

I was also under the impression that Thistle still had financial issues and Dundee with their income against expenditure could also see themselves in trouble again shortly.

All in all it's very disheartening as a supporter when you can't compete with the teams in your own league and are potentially going to lose your players for nothing if they manage to string a couple of good games together, on the flip side if nobody is interested in them then it will surely mean that your team are struggling at the bottom with nobody playing well and as such is again just miserable for the supporters.

It really makes you wonder what the point of it all is........................

4 minutes ago, malkyshotton said:

Stay off the Gin this weekend Wattoo

Yes, very good !!

It will be the Vodka pre match on Saturday, hopefully that should cheer me up a bit !!

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If Dundee want him then I’d take a nominal fee and Josh Todd.

I hear the boy Forster is a bit of a prospect. 😉

In all seriousness looking through their squad list with the budget they have and wages they're paying every week there's a lot of meh players in there. 

I’m not against selling Forrest but it has to be for a decent enough fee so we can replace him or with a player coming the other way.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Livi up their bid to get him this month.

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Have you been living in a cave for the last few months?

Weir was only ever handing the clubs assets to fan ownership as opposed to "bank rolling" them. That had never been his style in any case with various local projects that he was involved in (one of which I was involved in).

Aside from that, his untimely death must surely have legal implications regarding POA and whether he had been in a fit and proper state to be making certain decisions due to his ill health. It's entirely possible that there will be legal wranglings and disputes taking place behind the scenes.

I'm only guessing here and perhaps everything regarding the sale and transfer will take place smoothly, however that still begs the question of where exactly are Thistle receiving all their cash ???

Weir was only ever handing the clubs assets to fan ownership as opposed to "bank rolling" them. That had never been his style in any case with various local projects that he was involved in (one of which I was involved in).
Aside from that, his untimely death must surely have legal implications regarding POA and whether he had been in a fit and proper state to be making certain decisions due to his ill health. It's entirely possible that there will be legal wranglings and disputes taking place behind the scenes.
I'm only guessing here and perhaps everything regarding the sale and transfer will take place smoothly, however that still begs the question of where exactly are Thistle receiving all their cash ???

They’ve played Celtic in the cup and are doing so again on Saturday. I’d imagine that will go a long way.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They’ve played Celtic in the cup and are doing so again on Saturday. I’d imagine that will go a long way.

I'm sure it will, however I don't believe that's what Skyline drifter was getting at.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Heard we were looking at Forrest.

Hope to f**k not.

By all means continue to rely on 36 year old Chris Burke then. Not really sure what makes you think you are above signing players like Alan Forrest if I'm being honest with you chief.

13 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

By all means continue to rely on 36 year old Chris Burke then. Not really sure what makes you think you are above signing players like Alan Forrest if I'm being honest with you chief.

Chris Burke is far superior to Alan Forest and you’re deluded if you think otherwise. 

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I'm sure it will, however I don't believe that's what Skyline drifter was getting at.

I wasnt particulatly getting at either the Celtic money or the Weir funds. Just noting that in the last 2 or 3 weeks they have agreed pre contracts with Darren Brownlie and Ross Docherty, signed Darrian McKinnon and Zak Rudden, are pursuing Jamie McCart, McCall publicly admitted to talking to a couple other Ayr players and I know they spoke to others too. They are spending cash. Where its coming from at this stage doesnt really matter.

Edited to add - Weir also cleared their debt so whether he transferred the assets or not, there will be a saving in debt finance too presumably.

Edited by Skyline Drifter