The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Beginning to wonder why almost a week from the season finished there's absolutely no news of any sort, get a sense McCall isn't on board yet for next season

if you look at the summer transfer thread none of the other teams have done any more than we have, infact we probably have more players signed for next season than the majority of other clubs. We have told everyone who is being freed / leaving so assume everyone else out of contract has been offered terms.

McCall had his meeting with the board yesterday , a number of players have been offered contracts, and not surprisingly  some have been offered less than the season just ended 
Why have some been offered less than the season just ended, not exactly a great reward for a brilliant season.

8 minutes ago, rb123! said:
35 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:
McCall had his meeting with the board yesterday , a number of players have been offered contracts, and not surprisingly  some have been offered less than the season just ended 

Why have some been offered less than the season just ended, not exactly a great reward for a brilliant season.

Probably the eternally injured ones and the ones whose legs appear to be gone a bit.

14 minutes ago, rb123! said:
40 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Maybe they were seen as 1st choice last year, but are only deemed good enough for a place on the bench this year, due to age / past injuries / form?

26 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Probably the eternally injured ones and the ones whose legs appear to be gone a bit.

The only guys left that I can think of are Geggan, Moffat,  Moore, Crawford, McDaid, Bell & Kerr, plus Adams who was apparently already offered a pay per play contract ?

Being honest, I'd be happy if they all stayed but that would be with the caveat that they all proved their fitness for the following season as I thought Adams looked finished (although just returning from a long term injury) and both Kerr & Moffat looked as if they had just emptied in the past couple of months.

On the other hand, they are all replaceable at this stage of their careers and the likes of Crawford & McDaid although promising much, both fail to deliver time and time again, so I'd also have them in the happy to stay, but not devastated if they leave category.

Geggan, Bell & Moffat have all been great servants and I believe they all still have something to offer, especially as squad players, but I suppose McCall will know best and then it's up to the guys to look after their own interests..........

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The only guys left that I can think of are Geggan, Moffat,  Moore, Crawford, McDaid, Bell & Kerr, plus Adams who was apparently already offered a pay per play contract ?

Being honest, I'd be happy if they all stayed but that would be with the caveat that they all proved their fitness for the following season as I thought Adams looked finished (although just returning from a long term injury) and both Kerr & Moffat looked as if they had just emptied in the past couple of months.

On the other hand, they are all replaceable at this stage of their careers and the likes of Crawford & McDaid although promising much, both fail to deliver time and time again, so I'd also have them in the happy to stay, but not devastated if they leave category.

Geggan, Bell & Moffat have all been great servants and I believe they all still have something to offer, especially as squad players, but I suppose McCall will know best and then it's up to the guys to look after their own interests..........

Don't disagree too much but I don't think I could watch Robbie continually turning back for another season, it's so frustrating watching him doing it even when he has 5 or 10 yards of space in front of him, Saturday is the 1st game in a long time where he went on the front foot at every opportunity and what a difference it made.

Just now, ayrmad said:

Don't disagree too much but I don't think I could watch Robbie continually turning back for another season, it's so frustrating watching him doing it even when he has 5 or 10 yards of space in front of him, Saturday is the 1st game in a long time where he went on the front foot at every opportunity and what a difference it made.

Yes, I do know what you mean, he's extremely frustrating (to say the least) although I think part of that is McCall's fault for playing him out wide. I do think he retains possession well though and I'd want to keep him unless we were signing someone with a pedigree to replace him.

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

Well that’s extremely disappointing. Sounds like they aren’t able/willing to back McCall in trying to build a team to compete for the title. 

17 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Well that’s extremely disappointing. Sounds like they aren’t able/willing to back McCall in trying to build a team to compete for the title. 

Doesn’t sound like anything of the sort based on what he said. Why on earth would Adams, Bell and Geggan, for example, be offered the same as they were on last year? It would be madness.

Bell, Adams, Moore and Kerr have probably been offered lower terms.

The first 3, if they sign on, won’t be first choice players and considering Adams has been offered a pay as you play contract McCall is probably looking to shift as much money onto better Championship players.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I can't help but feel that you would also have been extremely disappointed if we had done the total opposite and offered improved terms to the players being mentioned above to try and convince them to stay and have the team built around them....

If Bell for example is being offered a contract then I can’t see him being a first team player like last season. So he should be on a wage that reflects his role in the team.

I’m quite pleased that the renewals have been offered which means we should hear soon who’s being released.

3 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Scott Fox would be a good replacement for Ross Doohan next season. 

Naw Ayr want a keeper who is good with his feet Fox is awful and takes to many chances and gets robbed for tap ins which is why he did no better than a few seasons in SPL with one off the lowest paying clubs

Rangers got 5 good keepers and one will be going out not McCrorie the other one the Scotland under 19 keeper

Would be a good loan with somebody else even Doolan again back on loan

Naw Ayr want a keeper who is good with his feet Fox is awful and takes to many chances and gets robbed for tap ins which is why he did no better than a few seasons in SPL with one off the lowest paying clubs
Rangers got 5 good keepers and one will be going out not McCrorie the other one the Scotland under 19 keeper
Would be a good loan with somebody else even Doolan again back on loan

Doohan isn’t great with his feet. I couldn’t really care less how well a goalie can pass so long as he does the basics of goalkeeping properly. Fox would be good but Doohan is the first option for me.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Doohan isn’t great with his feet. I couldn’t really care less how well a goalie can pass so long as he does the basics of goalkeeping properly. Fox would be good but Doohan is the first option for me.

Doolan is better than Fox with his feet and is learning 

Kieran Wright is the Rangers keeper meant to be a top prospect 

Being a modern keeper being good and comfortable with your feets very important with the rule changes

Just look at Liam Kelly at Livvy just now courted by some top clubs and that is one off the reasons why

Cos that is the modern goalkeeper 

Edited by Tartan Tammy 1297
Clarity

10 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Being a modern keeper being good and comfortable with your feets very important with the rule changes

Just look at Liam Kelly at Livvy just now courted by some top clubs and that is one off the reasons why

Hi Dryhorce hiya pal

Fox is about the best keeper county have had with the ball at his feet. A couple of high profile boo boos doesn’t change that.

I doubt Fox is going to Ayr, with all respect, as he’s got a better offer than County were able - or willing - to give him.

It’s definitely important if you have a team which plays the ball out from the back.

“Modern goalkeeper” is a lot of shite imo.

A goalkeepers job is to stop the ball going into the net. If they can do that whilst also being comfortable coming for crosses then I’ll take them.

Liam Kelly isn’t being courted because he can play 5 yard passes to his defenders. Unless you want to set a team up to play out from the back then there’s no need to look for a goalie that can pass comfortably.