The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

My wife has just persuaded me to stop trying to get my wee boy to support one of the local teams and to let him be an Ayr fan (he's 4, still too wee for games, but I've been trying not to encourage it).

She's right. I just need to go with it, as it's genuine. Last week he told her that he wants pictures of Lawrence shankland on his birthday cake (which is four months away).

Today he told her that he knew who the first man on the moon was. When she asked him he says it was Ross Doohan (with a big grin on his face).

I'm sure he'll get into Dundee or United eventually, but for now I'm going to stop holding back and buy him some ayr merch.

If my Dad hadn’t taken me to Ayr games when I was younger I’d probably have supported Celtic or Rangers like my mates at school.

Ayr weren’t forced on me (forcing a kid to like something never really works) but my Dad took me with him to Somerset once or twice a year until I started asking him if I could go every week.

I think most wee guys get to an age where they want to support the same team as their Dad so it won’t be long until he’s hooked.

My favourite Ayr 11(
(G)Hugh Sproat
(D) Rikki Fleming 
(D)Spud Murphy
(D)Ian McAllister
(D)Michael Rose
(M) Johnny Graham 
(M)Johnny Doyle (Wide)
(M) Ryan Stevenson
(M) Henry Templeton (Wide)
(F) Lawrence Shankland
(F)Glynn Hurst
Subs
George Watson 
Michael Moffat
Nicky Devlin
Jim Cowall
Gordon Crammond 

WOW! what a team that would have been!!!!!!

A discussion over on the Pars thread about the success of signings Johnson made for them had me thinking about McCalls track record for signing players. Off the top of my head I’d say it’s been pretty good with more good than bad. Although I can’t remember all the guys he signed stretching back to the January 2015 window.

Obviously he hit a gold mine with Shankland and Rose and brought in Murdoch and Smith who should’ve easily been snapped up by bigger clubs before we got them but what about the rest?

Greatest team in my Time in a classic 4-4-2 style

Craig Nelson

John Robertson

Gary Agnew

Franck Rolling

Ian McAllister

Andy Millen

Robert Connor

Henry Templeton

Gary Teale

Glynn Hurst

Alan Mcinally

Subs

Cammy Duncan

Lawrence Shankland

Marvin Wilson

Andy Walker

Paul Lovering

Davie Craig

Ryan Stevenson

So many miss out. What a fucking team that would be though

A bowl of fruit and fibre for breakfast btw

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

A discussion over on the Pars thread about the success of signings Johnson made for them had me thinking about McCalls track record for signing players. Off the top of my head I’d say it’s been pretty good with more good than bad. Although I can’t remember all the guys he signed stretching back to the January 2015 window.

Obviously he hit a gold mine with Shankland and Rose and brought in Murdoch and Smith who should’ve easily been snapped up by bigger clubs before we got them but what about the rest?

Off the top of my head:

14/15 

Good for Ayr - Blakeman, Preston, McKenna

Didn’t work out - Neil, Robertson, Slane (can’t remember if McCall signed him)

15/16

Good for Ayr - Fleming, Graham, McLauchlan, Boyle, Docherty, McCrorie, Adams, Moore, Trouten, Preston 

Didnt work out - Stevo, Caldwell, Hodge

16/17

Good for Ayr - Hart (never got much of a look in that season and done ok when called upon), Rose, McDaid

Didn’t work out - Balatoni, McKenna, Meggat, Cairney, Harkins, El Alagui, O’Connell, Nisbet, Thomas 

17/18

Good for Ayr - Hare-Reid (same as Hart), Higgins, Reid, Ferguson, Bell, Geggan, Kerr, Moffat, Shankland

Dudnt work out - Ruddy

18/19

Good for Ayr - Doohan, Smith, Harvie, Murdoch 

In the middle - Muirhead

Didn’t work out - Miller, Cadden

19/20

Who knows?

Off the top of my head:
14/15 
15/16
Good for Ayr - Fleming, Graham, McLauchlan, Boyle, Docherty, McCrorie, Adams, Moore, Trouten, Preston 
16/17
Good for Ayr - Hart (never got much of a look in that season and done ok when called upon), Rose, McDaid
Didn’t work out - Balatoni, McKenna, Meggat, Cairney, Harkins, El Alagui, O’Connell, Nisbet, Thomas 
17/18
Good for Ayr - Hare-Reid (same as Hart), Higgins, Reid, Ferguson, Bell, Geggan, Kerr, Moffat, Shankland
Dudnt work out - Ruddy
18/19
In the middle - Muirhead
19/20
Who knows?

Roberts signed Slane and I think he was one of the first out the door when McCall came in.

Forgot about a few of those, Hodge, Blakeman, O’Connell etc.

23 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Off the top of my head:

14/15 

15/16

16/17

17/18

Dudnt work out - Ruddy

18/19

In the middle - Muirhead

19/20

Who knows?

Very much appreciating the use of Dudnt for Ruddy.  Helps quantify to those looking from the outside in his similarities with Barry John Corr. 

There's too many to list them all but from the perspective of best and favourite players this would probably be my 11 with a "back up" 11 listed along with some "promising" squad players.

MANAGER : Ally MacLeod

1. Craig Nelson

2. Niclas Nyhlen

3. Gary Agnew

4. David Craig

5. Ronnie Coyle

6. Duncan George

7. Alain Horace

8. Sammy Johnstone

9. Andy Walker

10. Gary Teale

11. Glynn Hurst

Reserve Team

1. Kevin Cuthbert

2. John Robertson

3. Paul Lovering

4. Wullie Jamieson

5. Franck Rolling

6. John Davies

7. Henry Templeton

8. Ryan Stevenson

9. Laurent D'Jaffo

10. James Grady

11. Lawrence Shankland

Additional Subs

David Castilla

Liam Smith

WIllie Furphy

Craig Conway

Marvin Wilson

Paul Kinnaird

Stevie Kerrigan

Isaac English

Tommi Paavola

Luc Sonor

Edited by WATTOO

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Off the top of my head:

14/15 

15/16

16/17

17/18

Dudnt work out - Ruddy

18/19

In the middle - Muirhead

19/20

Who knows?

Harsh, both Balatoni and Meggat were decent. We were just so poor as a team that year that they got ripped apart.

I reckon 1994 Paolo Maldini and Franco Baresi would’ve looked shit had they been in the Ayr team that season.

49 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Harsh, both Balatoni and Meggat were decent. We were just so poor as a team that year that they got ripped apart.

I reckon 1994 Paolo Maldini and Franco Baresi would’ve looked shit had they been in the Ayr team that season.

I didn’t think Meggatt was that bad. For the supposed wage Balatoni was on though he never looked anything more than average.

1 hour ago, paulbrucerick said:

What a club we are! When a European Cup winner can't even make it on to the bench!

:lol:

I left McInally & Connor out of my team as they were both just before my time first time around and when we received them back they were well past their best.

I did forget about guys like Pat McGinlay though and even Ross Scott, Stevie Evans etc.

It's actually great thinking back to them all and brings back some great memories (and some not so great also) !!

1 hour ago, paulbrucerick said:

What a club we are! When a European Cup winner can't even make it on to the bench!

:lol:

TBF, you've got to be of a certain vintage to put him in your team.

Just now, paulbrucerick said:

Guilty as charged!

I'm of that vintage and he'd be one of if not the 1st on my list, knew he would make it at one of the best sides on the planet long before he kicked a ball for them in anger.

46 minutes ago, munro7 said:

Nobody got Stevie Nicol in their team?!?

Also before my time but otherwise would need to be a definite !!