The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

54 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I'm serious by the way, he did actually have one. For all the talk, and lack of proof, I've heard about them on here (I thought  it was just a wind up from other fans) I can confirm they do actually exist

Saw him on Somerset Road too as i was heading in, shook my head disapprovingly at him.

Those scarves unfortunately existed. They were on sale in the club shop before the 2002 final. 

The story goes David Murray suggested the idea and Ayr agreed. It was also said at the time that only six or seven were sold.

The club received absolute pelters for it and rightly so.  In my long time following Ayr, it is one of the most ridiculous decisions the club has taken.

Doohan has worked magic since being at Somerset. It's great to see a young fella do well and is certainly an improvement on Hart last year. 

The only fault (Not necessarily a fault) I can see is shared with majority of goalkeepers at this level in Scotland, punting the ball up the park. At the game today, when the ball was played from the back, Ayr were dominant. When punted up the field, Ross County were all over it. Just annoys me that they do this as opposed to just playing it. Surely Stillie could work on this with Doohan :-) 

De vries? I'd rather Hare-reid got his shot. :-/

6 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Doohan has worked magic since being at Somerset. It's great to see a young fella do well and is certainly an improvement on Hart last year. 

The only fault (Not necessarily a fault) I can see is shared with majority of goalkeepers at this level in Scotland, punting the ball up the park. At the game today, when the ball was played from the back, Ayr were dominant. When punted up the field, Ross County were all over it. Just annoys me that they do this as opposed to just playing it. Surely Stillie could work on this with Doohan :-) 

De vries? I'd rather Hare-reid got his shot. :-/

I've always wondered why many keepers in Scotland just punt the ball up the park with no real purpose. 

Surely that's not something they're all taught to do when they've got the ball?

Why not pass/roll it to the fullbacks or something?

7 hours ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Would that have been the Club taking that decision, though? Wasn't the Club Shop out sourced at that time - in which case it was still a staggeringly misjudged decision but at least not one of the Club's?

Not at that time no. Barr had control of everything then. 

10 hours ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

I've always wondered why many keepers in Scotland just punt the ball up the park with no real purpose. 

Surely that's not something they're all taught to do when they've got the ball?

Why not pass/roll it to the fullbacks or something?

Kicking it long and competing for the second ball was very fashionable for a long time.

1 hour ago, Iain said:

Kicking it long and competing for the second ball was very fashionable for a long time.

Yeah, though yesterday in those conditions, you would have thought that it would be played from the back. Though that boy is still learning, only 20 and is becoming a great first team keeper very quickly. 

I wouldn't in any way wish to take Credit away from Doohan, who has been fantastic for Ayr so far this season. De Vries would be a step down imo. 

Has there ever been a Goalkeeper score from a punt up the park for Ayr? 

4 hours ago, Iain said:

Aye, but it's a total dinosaur tactic. I can imagine old coaches telling young keepers to "just boot it up the park".

Keeping the ball and starting a counter by distributing it short to a teammate seems more sensible to me than just booting it up the park and giving the ball away. Maybe I've just played too much Football Manager?

Doohan has been excellent at playing out from the back for the majority of this season as has been our full backs and it is in fact something we've often commented upon (on here as well).

I can only assume that the "punting" yesterday had something to do with the horrific conditions in the 2nd half and in fairness it was probably the right decision as we were getting totally swamped. Could you imagine the reaction from our already restless crowd if we had started playing tippy tappy passing between our back 4 and keeper ?

I dread to think............

I’m really starting to get sick fed up with elements of our support. I honestly think as an ‘honest man’ some just go to Somerset to f#cking moan for the sake of moaning. Before kick off I’d have bitten your hand off for a draw. 3-1 up at half time and I was ecstatic. We are top of the league and playing like heavyweight champions, any league position outwith the relegation zone is an achievement....but we are top of the league! I’ve always been of the opinion that if you pay to go then it’s your perogative to say, shout, sing what you want within legal boundaries. Now I think “ where the f@ck were you when we played Forfar away and staring into the abyss of fourth tier Scottish football”? 

Sorry for the rant but some need a reality check!

I see the manky mob up the road have gave 1000 free tickets too local boys clubs over the last couple of games .got too take your hat off to them they do like to involve the local community. I wish our club could do the same .as things are going so well at the moment it may attract young fans too keep coming back .