The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Zero chance of either Smith or Rose signing new contracts. Both will get better offers in January or the Summer.
This is very true.

We have to accept that players are only going to sign a longer deal if it's in their favour - and in quite a few cases that it won't be.

Still, it's a nice problem to have. Shite teams don't have to worry about losing players for no fee.

2 hours ago, Mgc1910 said:

Zero chance of either Smith or Rose signing new contracts. Both will get better offers in January or the Summer.

Don’t talk utter shite. If we sell Shankland we’ll have a decent amount of money to play with which will allow us to offer really good deals to our better players. 

Don’t talk utter shite. If we sell Shankland we’ll have a decent amount of money to play with which will allow us to offer really good deals to our better players. 

Will it be enough to compete with clubs down south? You could offer guys like Rose a lot more money than they are currently earning but he’ll still want to advance his career as he’s clearly destined to play at a higher level.

If we do go up then I can see us keeping everyone bar Shankland. If we don’t then guys like Rose will have to consider what’s best for their career.

Our cup tie at auchinleck talbot has been confirmed as being live on BBC Scotland, on the sat 19th of January with a 12:15 kick off
Two weeks in a row we'll be on TV with home game on BT against Dundee United the following Friday night.

Can I just say though the transformation in Rose over the last year and a bit has been incredible. Definitely the one player who in his time at Ayr has improved the most.

From having a nightmare debut away at QoTS and seeing very little first team action to slowly improving by playing as a midfielder. Getting relegated and having a hot and cold season until the turn of the year where he was incredible in the run in to winning the title. I’d stick my neck out and say he’s the best centre back in the league this season.

A lot of credit has to go McCall for sticking with him but I think Stevie Bell has played a massive part on him being a calming influence which he never had from other defenders in the team.

If there’s two players that I’d say have the best chance of playing internationally it’s Shankland (obviously) and Rose.

Top marks to the bloke on the SRE having a pop at the club for not providing information on the “rearranged” ICT fixture that hasn’t been rearranged yet.
Yeah and not having a match report for the Dundee United game quick enough, I read his post in disbelief he will be moaning Shankland doesn't score enough and Doohan concedes to many goals next, what a tube

I would imagine there’s been contact from some clubs already expressing interest in those players who are out of contract in the summer, aa much as I’d like to see them playing for Ayr next season I think Rose, Murdoch and Smith may be off to pastures new. Hopefully it’ll be on May and not January and they have league winners medals. 

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Given the club runs at a significant loss, I’m not clear why you would imagine 100% of any Shankland fee would go straight to McCall.  Frankly speaking, I have no idea how the club is sustaining full time football at all at the moment, though you could say that about pretty much any club in the division.  I don’t know what you imagine the wage structure to be at the club, but when a behemoth of English football like Walsall can offer Nicky Devlin 4K a week (with, I suspect, a 5 figure signing on fee)  you conclude pretty quickly that we haven’t a prayer of holding on to Smith who is already a better all round player than Devlin.  Rose too has kicked on to another level this season and will doubtless be attracting plenty of attention.  Judging by some of McCalls comments, I would guess our player budget for the season is in the region of 400-500k.  Exactly how you propose to pay 2 players Walsall levels of cash is a puzzler.

It'll be interesting to see if the club breaks even at the end of the season (excluding any  potential Shankland fee). With the game at Ibrox, the TV games, increase in seasons, game day, au fund, and whatever prize money depending on where we finish, plus the McD ad and others.

15 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Given the club runs at a significant loss, I’m not clear why you would imagine 100% of any Shankland fee would go straight to McCall.  Frankly speaking, I have no idea how the club is sustaining full time football at all at the moment, though you could say that about pretty much any club in the division.  I don’t know what you imagine the wage structure to be at the club, but when a behemoth of English football like Walsall can offer Nicky Devlin 4K a week (with, I suspect, a 5 figure signing on fee)  you conclude pretty quickly that we haven’t a prayer of holding on to Smith who is already a better all round player than Devlin.  Rose too has kicked on to another level this season and will doubtless be attracting plenty of attention.  Judging by some of McCalls comments, I would guess our player budget for the season is in the region of 400-500k.  Exactly how you propose to pay 2 players Walsall levels of cash is a puzzler.

Okay, let’s presume we get 400k for Shankland from Swansea. I don’t think it’s unrealistic/unreasonable to expect a decent amount of that to go back into the playing budget and try to keep the spine of the team. If we get promoted I’d expect everyone we want to stay bar Shankland will do. 

I hope the players are not too distracted by al the potential speculation.

We have had such an amazing start to the season with such a bond between the players.

Hopefully they will let their "representatives" get on with it and keep their eye on the prize - promotion.

It's got to be the aim now surely?

No matter who does what in the January window.

I'm confident that the squad will stay together till the end of the season.

This is a special squad and a special season.

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Okay, let’s presume we get 400k for Shankland from Swansea. I don’t think it’s unrealistic/unreasonable to expect a decent amount of that to go back into the playing budget and try to keep the spine of the team. If we get promoted I’d expect everyone we want to stay bar Shankland will do. 

There’s a limit to the extent a one off capital injection can fund ongoing revenue costs.  I think that’s where Falkirk have got into trouble.  They had a good run of selling on players from their youth academy but you really can’t rely on that every season.  I doubt that promotion would be financially transformative for us either.  Even in the Bill Barr era we were never paying wages of the kind on offer at a fairly low level of English football.

Sorry if I’ve dropped an anvil of reality on your big toe.

Shanklands salary will definitely be a five figure sum weekly , 
I wouldn't be so sure. £40K a month is a shitload of money for an unproven player (at the presumably higher level he'll end up).

I have no idea how much he's on just now but I expect even 4 or 5K a week would be a significant improvement on what he's on.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wouldn't be so sure. £40K a month is a shitload of money for an unproven player (at the presumably higher level he'll end up).

I have no idea how much he's on just now but I expect even 4 or 5K a week would be a significant improvement on what he's on.

If Nicky Devlin got £4k then U'd think Shankland will receive at least double that, he's a gamechanger and Devlin runs fast.