The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Sell on clauses would be better bet when negotiating a fee for Shankland. Transfer fees down there are crazy so possibly worth it to take say 50k less for 10% sell on clause and maybe also clause for international appearance. If they have to pay these fees then he must be doing something right for them so its win win. If we do end up receiving a fee priority to should be retention of current team offer new contracts with different salaries based on what league we are in. Even just getting a couple of players to sign up can have a chain reaction and give others confidence we can sustain a good team beyond the season. 
Very good point if he goes down there and say scores 15 to 20 goals first season straight away he's £5m to £10m player with the inflated prices they pay down south, look at the money celtic have made with sell on clauses

Sell on clauses would be better bet when negotiating a fee for Shankland. Transfer fees down there are crazy so possibly worth it to take say 50k less for 10% sell on clause and maybe also clause for international appearance. If they have to pay these fees then he must be doing something right for them so its win win. If we do end up receiving a fee priority to should be retention of current team offer new contracts with different salaries based on what league we are in. Even just getting a couple of players to sign up can have a chain reaction and give others confidence we can sustain a good team beyond the season. 

Yeah we could potentially make more money off him in 2 or 3 years if we decide to sell him in January. I’ve got faith that Cameron or whoever is negotiating on our side will make sure there’s add on fees in there i.e international appearances, sell on fee, bonus if Swansea get promoted or win the league.

A few clubs haven’t been savvy enough in recent years (Raith when they sold Bates) to ensure there’s stipulations that can get them a bit of extra cash down the line.

If we sell him in January but get a loan back then I’m not overly bothered how much money we get upfront. It’ll be better than him leaving for nothing which the majority of us were prepared for.

It's a difficult one regarding the value of Shankland and what he's worth to clubs who want / need him now as opposed to either waiting until the summer or even run the risk of not getting him at all.

Looking at this objectively, he was basically valued around the £200k mark in the summer, however that was as a 1 season wonder in the part time 3rd tier, however he's stepped up a league against full time opposition and actually improved upon his goalscoring record from the previous season. Over and above and I reckon most importantly, he's shown in his performances that he's also more than just a goalscorer with his great link up play, strength to hold off defenders and hold the ball up and also a really good first touch with a great attitude to boot.

Ok, he's only got another window left on his contract, but surely that £200k has now ballooned to £500k +, especially for teams in the English Championship where that sort of money is nothing and making the play offs could potentially be worth 10's of Millions to them.

To us, he's definitely worth that sum and more of course.

As I said previously, it's a win win situation for both us as a club and also Lawrence as a player and we should just feel blessed that we have both him and another team of guys backing him up who are all grabbing attention in their own rights, it could be a long transfer window but if any of the guys do end up moving I'm sure we'll be well rewarded and they'll also have deserved it for what they've done for us this season, having said that, I hope this team stays together and completes the long journey back to the top division as it's been far too long....................

14 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

I thought it was a bit of a strange article. About halfway through he switches message from 'Ayr are doing great and here's why' to 'Addiction is tough, kids', without offering any particular insight into the latter.

I know he meant it as a positive piece, but to me it reads like he's bringing up the manager's past issues gratuitously. The entire last section could be replaced by "a battle he continues to fight with the support of Cameron". I just felt he laid it on a bit thick.

5 hours ago, Iain said:

I thought it was a bit of a strange article. About halfway through he switches message from 'Ayr are doing great and here's why' to 'Addiction is tough, kids', without offering any particular insight into the latter.

I know he meant it as a positive piece, but to me it reads like he's bringing up the manager's past issues gratuitously. The entire last section could be replaced by "a battle he continues to fight with the support of Cameron". I just felt he laid it on a bit thick.

As someone with the same problem, I didn't see it that way, it's fair enough to write a piece from that angle under the circumstances, I'd be surprised if McCall didn't call on things learned from his own journey when dealing with players, stopping gambling is a very small part of the path from arsehole to normality, most of it's played out in your head.

Edited by ayrmad

On 04/12/2018 at 00:00, mccurdieboy said:

He should be valued at least the same as Lewis Morgan or more

People seem to be forgetting that Celtic would’ve had to pay St Mirren a development fee if they had signed Morgan on a Bosman. This could potentially have been more than 300k (although looking at the Lewis Ferguson tribunal maybe not)

If Swansea sign shankland on a bosman there would be no development fee due to us.

The only way we are getting a penny from anyone is if they decide they don’t want to risk waiting on him signing a pre-contract and then changing his mind and going elsewhere.

There is no way we’re getting 300k. If we get 100k we’ll be Doing well.

1 hour ago, I'm Brian said:

Oh well. Entry via the other turnstiles it is then.

One assumes a stupit auld fud that shouldn't be on the road anyway.  c**t better be insured and live long enough to be done for careless driving

FTFY

Daily record reporting today Swansea paying £400k for Shankland but want him straight away. Apparently 20 teams after him [emoji852]
The Record so a pinch of salt required but 400K is a ridiculously good offer for a player soon out of contract. I expect the Ayr board will do their best to have him loaned back until the end of the season.

January should be interesting to see what happens with him.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The Record so a pinch of salt required but 400K is a ridiculously good offer for a player soon out of contract. I expect the Ayr board will do their best to have him loaned back until the end of the season.

January should be interesting to see what happens with him.

I'm probably in the minority amongst our support, however I'd take anything over £400k as that would set us up for the next couple of seasons and ensure we consolidated as a Championship level club, it would give us cash to re-sign / retain the majority of our squad and also give us the ammunition to find a replacement.

Shankland is obviously excellent and very important to us, however I've said it 100 times, we're far more than a one man team and I reckon we could still do it with the team we have.

Exciting times at Somerset nevertheless and we should all keep remembering that bar a final day screw up by Raith, we could have been looking forward to a big match against Montrose this week.................