The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

34 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

What’s the capacity at Beith? Sure to be a sellout.

It has had 4400 in  it in the late 60s.  Will probably only be allowed 2500 max at a guess. When they played Morton 2 year a go it was not a ticket game.

Edited by maicoman

23 minutes ago, maicoman said:

It has had 4400 in  it in the late 60s.  Will probably only be allowed 2500 max at a guess. When they played Morton 2 year a go it was not a ticket game.

Someone on the Juniors forum suggested 2500. 

Interesting and at the same time excellent cup draw as it's an local junior team away from home.

Not being disrespectful to Beith but now pretty much about their level but just been told from a mate that they beat Auchinleck to the league last season. Certainly a bananna skin tie!

Anyone know if the ground has floodilights? If not it'll probably be a lunchtime kick off or something and we'll probably take 500 at least.

Interesting and at the same time excellent cup draw as it's an local junior team away from home.
Not being disrespectful to Beith but now pretty much about their level but just been told from a mate that they beat Auchinleck to the league last season. Certainly a bananna skin tie!
Anyone know if the ground has floodilights? If not it'll probably be a lunchtime kick off or something and we'll probably take 500 at least.

Nope they’ve no floodlights.

Morton played them in the cup 2 seasons ago and it was a 1:30 KO I think.

Yesterday was so similar to the first half against Falkirk.  Defending too deep and inviting teams on to us.  We lose 2 goals from open play with the defence defending on the 18 yard line and at the 2nd goal damn near our own 6 yard line.  The problem is patently Adams and Rose who are woeful as a partnership.    We need some leadership in there to get us pushed up the park and defending a sensible line.  Bell may not be the ultimate answer, but it is clear he is the best centre back at the club right now.   I know McCall has a soft spot for Adams and, frankly, a blind spot for Rose, but we really need to learn some lessons.  

38 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Yesterday was so similar to the first half against Falkirk.  Defending too deep and inviting teams on to us.  We lose 2 goals from open play with the defence defending on the 18 yard line and at the 2nd goal damn near our own 6 yard line.  The problem is patently Adams and Rose who are woeful as a partnership.    We need some leadership in there to get us pushed up the park and defending a sensible line.  Bell may not be the ultimate answer, but it is clear he is the best centre back at the club right now.   I know McCall has a soft spot for Adams and, frankly, a blind spot for Rose, but we really need to learn some lessons.  

Rose has been great this season. Were you the guy standing behind me?

I’d have Bell in with Rose though yes.

40 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Second in the league with the fourth best defence and you’re coming out with words like woeful :lol:

Get a fucking grip of yourself.

10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Rose has been great this season. Were you the guy standing behind me?

I’d have Bell in with Rose though yes.

Nope.  So I guess I’m not the only one with reservations about our defence. You can argue the merits of Adams and Rose as individuals but as a partnership they are really poor.

Maybe it’s just inexperience, but Rose looks a different player with Bell next to him. It’s almost like we’ve forgotten last season.  Rose and Higgins together were hopeless.  They both wanted to play sweeper.  The worst was the Forfar game at Somerset where we shipped 3 goals in the last 15 minutes.  I don’t think any fan leaving the ground that day thought we could win the league.  Then Bell was signed and we suddenly looked a better more balanced defence,  albeit we were still compromised at times by dreadful goalkeeping.  I suspect Higgins would have showed up better next to Bell as well.   

Adams is great if he is physically competing against a rough and tumble centre forward but no use against a mobile striker.  Rose is a great athlete (which I think is blinding some to his shortcomings as a defender) but he clearly needs an old head next to him talking him through the game a bit more.

I struggle to see how anyone who was at the Dundee Utd game 2 weeks ago would have left the game thinking we ought to drop Bell for the next game.  I think at times we are just too confident in our ability to score our way out of trouble.

I don't think we should be starting Crawford. I wasn't at the game yesterday, but watching the highlights for the 2nd - he had two chances to tackle and stop it dead with the Ross County player just ghosting past him. He needs to be stronger, he gives us no more defensive cover out wide than McDaid or Forrest. With that being the case he should move down the pecking order or be played in the middle.

As for Bell > Adams/Rose?

I'm not so sure, I like big Adams as do many others so maybe I have a blind spot. You always need a centre half who does the simple things - hits it the way he is facing and never misses a header (ala Martyn Campbell). Big Adams gives you that. Some of the tippy tappy from Rose and/or Bell when they are under pressure drives me mad. Just hit it the way your facing, it is the right option sometimes! 

Edited by Trogdor