The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, eez-eh said:

We currently have a stadium that holds 10,000 people. There are only 5 clubs in the whole of Scottish football who average attendances more than that figure, why the hell do Ayr United need a bigger stadium?

Bigger stadium. Bigger crowds. Higher opposition. Say we did get into the play-offs this season, It wouldn't matter a f**k because Ayr cant go any higher due to their stadium. Better stadium attracts better players blah blah blah. 

We need a new stadium, I don't like this 'settling' that we do at Ayr, get some ambition and get somewhere above the 'normality'of the Second and third tiers of Scottish football that we seem to be stuck in. 

1 minute ago, Roxanne's man said:

Bigger stadium. Bigger crowds. Higher opposition. Say we did get into the play-offs this season, It wouldn't matter a f**k because Ayr cant go any higher due to their stadium. Better stadium attracts better players blah blah blah. 

We need a new stadium, I don't like this 'settling' that we do at Ayr, get some ambition and get somewhere above the 'normality'of the Second and third tiers of Scottish football that we seem to be stuck in. 

What the f**k hahahah. If a bigger stadium means bigger crowds then why are we only filling 15% of our stadium on match days? And our stadium would be fine for the Premiership, the 6,000 seater rule was abolished years ago.

You're like a slightly more literate Ally Morrison, albeit with some regrettable photoshop skills.

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

What the f**k hahahah. If a bigger stadium means bigger crowds then why are we only filling 15% of our stadium on match days? And our stadium would be fine for the Premiership, the 6,000 seater rule was abolished years ago.

You're like a slightly more literate Ally Morrison, albeit with some regrettable photoshop skills.

Really? So Somerset would pass for Premier league? Did not know that. 

15% of our stadium filled because we play smaller teams that are also stuck in the lower tiers. Should hopefully go up this season with Dundee united and the likes, who bring a few thousand fans with them. 

My photoshop skills are second to none. Don't Diss. Mccall in a bath of beans, with haribo at his feet. Fantastic. 

Who is Ally Morrison? I've heard this since I started on here and I'm starting to think my wife is having it aff with him. 

Tbh without playing devils advocate, I can try and see a bit of the point Roxanne’s man is trying to make but I think he’s getting carried away with vast capacity numbers and our core fan base . 

There’s only so much longer ‘the auld girl’ can sustain without major overhaul. Yes there has been additions through digital kitchens, lottery etc, not to mention the fantastic effort put in by volunteers. However it’s just like putting a band aid over a wound. I love Somerset and many a travelling support do as well citing it as a bit of nostalgia of past football times.

I don’t want us to move, nor have a half empty ‘Lego brick all seater’. It does need something done before one day SAC decide that parts of it are unsafe. In fact think with the last security certificate they dropped the capacity from over 10k to just about 9k and thus why there was a big gap at the segregation fence (beautifully cordoned off with tape lol).

3 minutes ago, Waniche said:

Tbh without playing devils advocate, I can try and see a bit of the point Roxanne’s man is trying to make but I think he’s getting carried away with vast capacity numbers and our core fan base . 

There’s only so much longer ‘the auld girl’ can sustain without major overhaul. Yes there has been additions through digital kitchens, lottery etc, not to mention the fantastic effort put in by volunteers. However it’s just like putting a band aid over a wound. I love Somerset and many a travelling support do as well citing it as a bit of nostalgia of past football times.

I don’t want us to move, nor have a half empty ‘Lego brick all seater’. It does need something done before one day SAC decide that parts of it are unsafe. In fact think with the last security certificate they dropped the capacity from over 10k to just about 9k and thus why there was a big gap at the segregation fence (beautifully cordoned off with tape lol).

OMG! Thank you! Your wording is better than mine. 

Edited by Roxanne's man
This man is my saviour.

19 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

How are we paying for this new stadium exactly?

we do have some fucking roasters that follow us don’t we?

Edited by Hazbart

Just now, Hazbart said:

How are we paying for this new stadium exactly?

we do have some fucking roasters that follow us don’t we?

Right, you buy a lottery ticket, you cross your fingers and hope to f**k you win the jackpot.... 

In all seriousness, I believe Jim kirkwood was talking about adding something to Somerset. As D'Jaffo said, crowds and season tickets get Ayr money, hopefully a good cup draw or something would bring in enough to at least start something. 

11 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

In theory. Yeah, a stadium that was fully seated and could hold 20000 fans. I love Somerset as much as the next fella but if we were getting the fan base we deserve, as opposed to losing it to the old firm, then a bigger stadium is a must. We can't get into the premier league with Somerset. Again, this is theoretical. 

Yes we can

55 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Right, you buy a lottery ticket, you cross your fingers and hope to f**k you win the jackpot.... 

In all seriousness, I believe Jim kirkwood was talking about adding something to Somerset. As D'Jaffo said, crowds and season tickets get Ayr money, hopefully a good cup draw or something would bring in enough to at least start something. 

Please start the ball rolling with a win over the manky Greenock mob tomorrow. Not going to Killie tonight so might pop along to Somerset.

ETA...........Thanks for the reddie:huh:

Edited by jimmy boo

In relative terms, we could actually be doing with w smaller stadium. Something like St Mirrens new ground, but having the corners filled like they are at Livi is ideal.

I would imagine it must be possible to have two ends of safe standing similar in style to the Somerset road end and railway end, but steeper as the view is pretty shite behind the nets.

I think certainly something needs to be done at Somerset with regards to the North Terracing, think the most realistic thing which would happen in the current situation the club is in is probably just putting a roof over it, it would certainly improve the atmosphere IMO. 

Problem with Somerset though is we have Cameron who is looking to sell so isn't going to pour in hundreds of thousands to upgrade Somerset because he's not going to get any benefit from it if someone buys the club in say a year or so. Some new owner may come in and want to build a new stadium or completely re-do Somerset anyway which means any work done while Cameron is here could end up being a waste of money.

We can't end up though with a 20,000 or even 10,000 lego block grey all seater stadium which would be half empty at most every game.

16 minutes ago, rb123! said:

We can't end up though with a 20,000 or even 10,000 lego block grey all seater stadium which would be half empty at most every game.

Wasn't there talk of just taking Airdries stadium when they got liquidated all those years ago? 

Some guy named Brian Gilmour had a plan for a stadium down Heathfield way costing £40million. He never bought into it though. 

I'm also against the lego block stadium and I'm certain that we could work with what we have at Somerset and expand. Somerset Road end as safe standing with seating very similar to the stand we have just now on the other side. Parallel if you like. Not saying we throw up a horrific mess like the stand at Stair Park that stands out a mile from a shitey stadium, just a decent wee stand with a building at the back to take over from the Ally Mcleod suite. 

Screenshot_20180713-132152.png

Edited by Roxanne's man

Somerset is perfect for us, although continued maintenance doesn't come cheap, however on the plus side we actually have one of the largest capacity's in Scotland outwith the top sides, so this allows us to take advantage of increased gate receipts when we play the likes of the old firm , Killie etc.

As for Killie and their 20k stadium, I'm pretty sure that they'd happily half their capacity tomorrow if given the chance as quite frankly it's a ridiculous capacity for a team such as Kilmarnock in the modern football era and apart from being costly also kills the atmosphere.

We've covered this argument on a number of occasions in the past, however the taylor report and the subsequent knee jerk reaction of our football custodians requiring a minimum of a 10k all seated stadium for the SPL, was undoubtedly one of the most stupid and possibly corrupt decisions ever taken by our games hierarchy and of course it just helped destroy many of the teams in our country.

Fortunately this rule no longer applies, so San Somerset can hopefully continue to thrive for another 100+ years.....................

19 hours ago, rb123! said:

more importantly he has had a tendency to destroy us, get the big farmer Jamie Adams in about him to put him in his place.

Jamie Adams was with you when we had Faissal mk1, it didn't work. He got put on his arse by Joe Cardle ffs. 

18 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

Id pay extra just to see that happen. 'Accidentally' break his legs or something.... Something comical. 

Yes, breaking a players legs purely for having the audacity to score against you would be hilarious.