The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

Fan ownership is the norm across Spain and Germany, including such piddling minnows as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

Bayern Munich won the Bundesliga this season for the first time in their history.

2 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Good to see we are going to get to play at Hampden at least twice next season , SFA agreed a deal for QP to play their home games there next season 

Unless you're scheduled to play them weeks 1-6 of the season in which case you'll be at Lesser with a tiny amount of away tickets.

3 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Unless you're scheduled to play them weeks 1-6 of the season in which case you'll be at Lesser with a tiny amount of away tickets.

Hopefully we avoid the games there before September 

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

A couple of things worth responding to here.

Firstly, Jacqui Low never put a single penny into Partick Thistle. Her M.O. was finding someone else who would invest the money while she could take the credit for it. Which is why she cosied up to Colin Weir in the first place; because he had a bottomless pit of money that she could exploit for her own gains.

Second point which I've bolded is perhaps more important to clarify. It was the "wealthy individual owner route" which has left Thistle in this mess - which the fan-owned enterprise is now in the process of having to clean up. It's thanks to two accountants on the Jags Foundation board that the club have stopped hemorrhaging money.

A wealthy individual owner can be fine if they care about the club. You know all about that at Ayr. But if you get one who doesn't, then the shit can really hit the fan if they get bored, are poorly advised or just have no idea what they're doing.

Football is so unfair. Support the team through thick and thin but it's always the fan that gets hit with the shit.

22 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Could we not just agree to play all our cup games at the oppositions grounds? Save a bit of ballache. 

Don't think that would go down well with fans, asking to fork out a lot to see the team before the league starts with 4 away matches all 50+ miles away.

51 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Don't think that would go down well with fans, asking to fork out a lot to see the team before the league starts with 4 away matches all 50+ miles away.

The alternative is that we pay a fee to another club and the fans have to travel to that ground anyway and the gate money is pooled 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

The alternative is that we pay a fee to another club and the fans have to travel to that ground anyway and the gate money is pooled 

We have a relationship through AUFA with Cumnock, I reckon we could use Townhead for a cup game.  Reserve games get played there and it hosted a match in the Scottish Cup with Dumbarton last season.

4 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

We have a relationship through AUFA with Cumnock, I reckon we could use Townhead for a cup game.  Reserve games get played there and it hosted a match in the Scottish Cup with Dumbarton last season.

I dont. The terracing on the far side is in poor condition, and to go back to my previous comment, it has no seats apart from two or three park benches. Might not be against the rules, but it is a low standard. 

3 minutes ago, RedEd said:

I dont. The terracing on the far side is in poor condition, and to go back to my previous comment, it has no seats apart from two or three park benches. Might not be against the rules, but it is a low standard. 

If it was for X amount of games then it would not be suitable.  However for 1 game v Alloa/Stenny at a low cost to the club, is it really that much of a pain?  Dam Park was what I was told we were looking at anyway for 1 match, you can have a wee jolly in the seats there with a good view of the River Ayr.

5 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Thistle could look at Ayr's recent history as a map how to get out the shit, back in to it and then out again. 

Barr screwed us ultimately, Cameron Sr took over and had his son run the club. He had no idea about running a football club and we were taught a couple of lessons in his early days. Kilmarnock did us for ticket money in a cup tie, Dundee United took Conway and tried to stiff us for money. He also made some of the worst managerial appointments in the clubs history. 

He was an astute businessman who didn't like spending money. We cut the playing budget, went part time and lots of full time club staff were let go. He took ownership when his father took over. 

He sold off parts of the club to pay debts but all that left us with was gate money and we survived thanks to director loans for about a decade. Somerset was falling to bits and struggled to get a safety certificate every year. The turnaround in Ayr was when McCall arrived. He guided Cameron on how the club could be run. 

Smith took over, had ideas on how improve the club off the park but not on it (David Hopkin) and we are getting stronger year on year as a club, he has hired people with experience in areas he is weakest in. 

We are by no means a model club but the parallels between Thistle and Ayr are pretty similar at the moment. Ayr tried to steady the ship while not attempting to make more money, they succeeded but it took about 10 years longer than it should.    

Should be noted that Ayr wouldn’t exist without Cameron’s generosity.  Fans always want more from their ownership, but he did put a small fortune into the club and wrote it off to facilitate the sale to Dave Smith.  He’d made it clear for years that he wanted to sell up and a less concerned owner could have sold us down the river to some carpetbagger (Murray selling Rangers to Whyte for a quid comes to mind), but he held on for years until he found someone he was sure would look after the club and take it forward.  Blaming him for Kilmarnock’s unscrupulous behaviour or being screwed over by a transfer tribunal for Conway seems pretty harsh.

29 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Not any worse than behind the goals at Alloa