The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

I don't know what folk were expecting but I thought Mathie did a good job there. I like the fact that people now talk about their own responsibilities and not those of others, he is CEO of the Club not the manager so I would hope he would talk more strategically. Also the objective of the interview was clearly retrospective. take a breathe and review where we are against plan.

if he spoke about transfer budgets or targets, even generally, then it would be analysed minutely and every difference between what he said and what Bullen or however say next would be compared and found wanting. Let those who target the transfers and sign them speak about that stuff, not the CEO.  

Equally clearly we are ahead of plan, even if we don't finish second again this coming season we will be ahead of plan so long as we are competing for top four again. He referencing Brighton as a model and noting the ups and downs on their ten year journey gives you a hint of what is ahead. There are not going to spunk cash on bouquet signings, they are going to build more sustainably and think "outside the box" to try to out perform their budget. If you are thinking outside the box then not every decision is going to come off - that's obvious surely - but their reckoning is that if 60 or 70% of their transfer decisions come off that will be success. Be prepared for us signing folk that not many of us have heard of.

We're getting a new stand, new hospitality income streams and a new grass pitch (delighted about the last one). All that should produce a better product on match days. Ultimately it all depends on results of course, as fans (especially new fans) are essentially glory hunters (or a least pride-in-our-town's-team hunters). That is not a criticism, that's just a fact when folk have plenty of other things to do with their time and money. I still think we are heading in the right direction - and if that makes me a "happy clapper" then so be it. Hell, having a credible multi-year plan is a first in the seventeen years I have been following Ayr. 

Absolutely you can make the observations that we haven't been a pretty watch at times, underperformed in some big games and that will have deterred some potential fans and potential local backers/sponsors from fully committing. They haven't got everything right and some things rest on small margins outside management control (that Cup QF penalty miss, for example) but overall it's been a good season looking back. I agree with pretty much everything he said and hinted at.        

I think a key point in his interview was when he said that he is between celebrating how well we have done and how big a let down the play-off performance was. If he had came out with a cheery interview, safely lobbing Calums softballs back at him like Bullen sometimes does then it would have been disappointing.

Much like McCall, Mathie wants personal success which means that Ayr may be a means to an end for him but for him to succeed personally, Ayr need to succeed.  

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I think a key point in his interview was when he said that he is between celebrating how well we have done and how big a let down the play-off performance was. If he had came out with a cheery interview, safely lobbing Calums softballs back at him like Bullen sometimes does then it would have been disappointing.

Much like McCall, Mathie wants personal success which means that Ayr may be a means to an end for him but for him to succeed personally, Ayr need to succeed.  

I’d hope that Mathie is here for a long time but I’m under no illusions that the guy wants to get to a bigger club at some point. I could see him going down to England maybe in a few years time. 

1 minute ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Don’t know why we don’t just announce it it’s pretty common knowledge now that he has signed 

Is it? 

I thought we were still trying to sort out compensation with Alloa.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Get Stanger announced and that’s at least the goalie and centre back positions sorted. 

Is Stanger any good or likely to be coming in as backup?  Only clip I've ever seen of him was when he had an absolute Nuke against Hamilton in the playoffs, hoping that was just a bad 5 mins 🤣

11 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Is Stanger any good or likely to be coming in as backup?  Only clip I've ever seen of him was when he had an absolute Nuke against Hamilton in the playoffs, hoping that was just a bad 5 mins 🤣

Reckon he’s a straight replacement for Kirk so it’ll be up to him to get in over Musonda or McGinty who I think will start the season as our first choice pairing. If McAllister signs up then he’ll be our emergency back up for that position.