The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I was waiting for it but I guess it was more of a look back on next season rather than a preview of the next. 

I did like the sound of clubs looking at us as a potential location for young loan players but there’s always the chance that they’re more of a Jack Ruddy than an Alex Kirk. 

I know - but it’s literally the only thing anyone cares about. 

Yeah - that was the only part of interest really!

20 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Twenty fucking minutes, and not a question on potential signings - wonderful. 

Suspect even if he was asked, Mathie would have found a politician's answer as he's pretty capable at talking but not really answering.

That aside, the fact that clubs see us as an option to develop players is positive. A year ago we wouldn't have been expecting to get a guy who'd sat on the bench in the Premiership. If we can exploit that it'll give us an edge.

4 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Drove past this dude today

hoppie.jpg

Remarkable levels of restraint, Steven. I would have mowed him down.

I'd have missed the other two though, they've done nothing to offend me.

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Remarkable levels of restraint, Steven. I would have mowed him down.

I'd have missed the other two though, they've done nothing to offend me.

Had just cleaned the car out as well, so had nothing to throw at him!

4 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Did you at least have to window down, booing at him?

Nah, you want to shout something like "Get in the sea, you ginger windbag!".

That being said, he'd probably greet you warmly as I imagine that's one of the nicest things a football fan would say to him. 

He's absolutely murder when there are games on BBC Alba. He comes out with such zingers as "The grass is wet <pause> because its been raining." Thanks for that insight. 🤦‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

"The grass is wet <pause> because its been raining."

Mind. Blown. 🤯

Still, other than shipping a shitey Greenock team down the road to Somerset, dancing with relegation, playing dire hoofball tactics and being an all round plonker.....he's not the worst Manager Ayr have ever had.

Within the top five worst managers.....not the worst.

I agree with you though, I'd have went into GTA mode, ran him doon and had three stars in the top right hand corner of my peripheral vision.

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Twenty fucking minutes, and not a question on potential signings - wonderful. 

Is it just his usual talking about nothing at all?

11 minutes ago, Roxanne&#x27;s man said:

Mind. Blown. 🤯

Still, other than shipping a shitey Greenock team down the road to Somerset, dancing with relegation, playing dire hoofball tactics and being an all round plonker.....he's not the worst Manager Ayr have ever had.

Within the top five worst managers.....not the worst.

I agree with you though, I'd have went into GTA mode, ran him doon and had three stars in the top right hand corner of my peripheral vision.

Lumii_20230605_004123021.jpg

I don't know what folk were expecting but I thought Mathie did a good job there. I like the fact that people now talk about their own responsibilities and not those of others, he is CEO of the Club not the manager so I would hope he would talk more strategically. Also the objective of the interview was clearly retrospective. take a breathe and review where we are against plan.

if he spoke about transfer budgets or targets, even generally, then it would be analysed minutely and every difference between what he said and what Bullen or however say next would be compared and found wanting. Let those who target the transfers and sign them speak about that stuff, not the CEO.  

Equally clearly we are ahead of plan, even if we don't finish second again this coming season we will be ahead of plan so long as we are competing for top four again. He referencing Brighton as a model and noting the ups and downs on their ten year journey gives you a hint of what is ahead. There are not going to spunk cash on bouquet signings, they are going to build more sustainably and think "outside the box" to try to out perform their budget. If you are thinking outside the box then not every decision is going to come off - that's obvious surely - but their reckoning is that if 60 or 70% of their transfer decisions come off that will be success. Be prepared for us signing folk that not many of us have heard of.

We're getting a new stand, new hospitality income streams and a new grass pitch (delighted about the last one). All that should produce a better product on match days. Ultimately it all depends on results of course, as fans (especially new fans) are essentially glory hunters (or a least pride-in-our-town's-team hunters). That is not a criticism, that's just a fact when folk have plenty of other things to do with their time and money. I still think we are heading in the right direction - and if that makes me a "happy clapper" then so be it. Hell, having a credible multi-year plan is a first in the seventeen years I have been following Ayr. 

Absolutely you can make the observations that we haven't been a pretty watch at times, underperformed in some big games and that will have deterred some potential fans and potential local backers/sponsors from fully committing. They haven't got everything right and some things rest on small margins outside management control (that Cup QF penalty miss, for example) but overall it's been a good season looking back. I agree with pretty much everything he said and hinted at.        

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile

6 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Sirloin steak Indian mystery kebabs for my dinner tonight for me, anyone else having anything nice?

Chicken Caesar salad with a box of corona out the back door followed closely by a magnum or cornetto for pudding. 

56 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Sirloin steak Indian mystery kebabs for my dinner tonight for me, anyone else having anything nice?

Liquid dinner for me tonight after a day of DIY.