The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I don’t get this “a step too far” and Thistle are more experienced than our team. At the end of the day we finished 2nd and they finished 4th. Yes it was close and easily could’ve been the other way about. However, we should not be losing 8-0 to a team in and around us over a season, end of. Bullen has to take full responsibility for those dreadful displays.

This something special chat needs fired into the sea.  Getting to the play off final would be something. Getting promoted would be something special. Finishing 2nd by virtue of goal difference and when 2 points covered 5 teams is something.

That's not a criticism, you can only play what's in front of you and it was some last day, winning up in Inverness.

It's night and day compared to last season that's irrefutable but the something special patter is really annoying me.

We need to aim higher, I'm a firm believer in the standard you accept becoming the standard you expect. It was interesting to hear Bullen say that it showed how far we'd come but how far we are away from taking the next step. I think that's a good way to look at it!

I'm mellowing a bit but that 8-0 aggregate defeat will live long in the memory. That is utterly embarassing and I'm pretty sure it is a record defeat in such a scenario. 

I was encouraged by another thing he said which was that our players didn't have enough professional games under their belt. If you added up the appearances our players had made half the number of Partick's over their career. I think that bodes well in terms of signings, in that we'll be signing experienced players. Hopefully starting with a left and right back!

20 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Not really buying the "two games too far" line, and there's no excuse for being miles off it, questions need to be asked about that. 

His point about how far we've come but also how far off we actually are was apt though 

17 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I don’t get this “a step too far” and Thistle are more experienced than our team. At the end of the day we finished 2nd and they finished 4th. Yes it was close and easily could’ve been the other way about. However, we should not be losing 8-0 to a team in and around us over a season, end of. Bullen has to take full responsibility for those dreadful displays.

I don’t think it excuses the performances, but I can see where he is coming from. 

That Thistle team is absolutely flying with energy, but half of them have been out injured for large parts of the season so haven’t completed the arduous season a lot of our players have. 

Just look at Ben Dempsey, a large part of our success is through his high energy and intensity - but it just isn’t there anymore and I think he just needs a break. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t think it excuses the performances, but I can see where he is coming from. 

That Thistle team is absolutely flying with energy, but half of them have been out injured for large parts of the season so haven’t completed the arduous season a lot of our players have. 

Just look at Ben Dempsey, a large part of our success is through his high energy and intensity - but it just isn’t there anymore and I think he just needs a break. 

We had a two week break between games. It’s not really an excuse. It was the way we set up in these two games. Tactics and team selection both questionable not just in these games but since November. That falls a Bullens door 

The overall style of play completely changed as soon as we lost chalmers. We became a hoof it to dipo and cross our fingers he scored team. There was no second option and had dipo gotten injured we would have been in trouble. 

12 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

They could have rested him . Don’t think the young boy smith can be to happy the boy looks a player but limited with chances he’s got . 

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

https://twitter.com/ayrunitedfc/status/1662717177336672256?s=46&t=B-8NZQ6YI4r0-_joFjquVA

in this he says that he is hurting and will take a few weeks to get over within 30 minutes he’s chanting in the hub…

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Why should I? 

he says one thing then does another or tells us everyone’s fit when we miss our best player.  The guy can gtf. 

I can’t believe I’m siding with WATTOO here but you’re getting far too wound up by this.

2 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

We had a two week break between games. It’s not really an excuse. It was the way we set up in these two games. Tactics and team selection both questionable not just in these games but since November. That falls a Bullens door 

The overall style of play completely changed as soon as we lost chalmers. We became a hoof it to dipo and cross our fingers he scored team. There was no second option and had dipo gotten injured we would have been in trouble. 

But he didn’t get injured. As I said earlier the style of play was bad but at the end of the day it got us second place so there’s an argument to say that Bullen made the most with what he had after January. 

If we had finished way off it then yeah you can have a go but at the end of the day he set out what was achieved. He just did it in a not very exciting way. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

But he didn’t get injured. As I said earlier the style of play was bad but at the end of the day it got us second place so there’s an argument to say that Bullen made the most with what he had after January. 

If we had finished way off it then yeah you can have a go but at the end of the day he set out what was achieved. He just did it in a not very exciting way. 

We are waaaay off it though- not in the league but in performances and style that’s why we lost 8-0 aggregate against a team that finished 2 places behind us 

I do have a gut feeling that Bullen will leave. I could be totally wrong with that but it's just a sense.

He knows more than anyone that expectations for next season have been raised. He made reference to it being twice as hard next season and creating a rod for their own backs. 

I wouldn't mind him staying if he brought in a couple of good coaches. An assistant that has a bit of tactical nous and a defensive coach. I'm not being facetious, but whoever is coaching the defence made a rip roaring arse of it for those two legs. We didn't learn the lessons of the first leg. The left and right backs didn't look like they knew what they should be doing or where they should be. That's a matter of coaching and organisation. The players are limited in those positions but you need to get the most out of them. We didn't.

Edit - Just to clarify. If he doesn't bring in better coaches then I'm Bullen out. As I don't think he can take us any further.

Edited by Trogdor

Just now, ryanayr1987 said:

We are waaaay off it though- not in the league but in performances and style that’s why we lost 8-0 aggregate against a team that finished 2 places behind us 

They’re a better team than us though. They’d likely have challenged Dundee a lot closer had they been injury free. 

The fact they’ve lost something like 1 game in the last 17 tells you how good they are when they’ve got a full compliment of players to choose from and have a manager who uses them properly. Had we kept eleven men on the park on Friday it likely wouldn’t have been the pumping it turned out to be. 

Bullen can take a lot of criticism throughout the season but so do a lot of the players. Equally they can all take a lot of praise. If Bullen walks then fair enough but there’s not a chance we sack him and if we do then it sends out a terrible message to prospective managers we’d like to attract. 

Just now, Stellaboz said:

Play off aside, are Ayr fans not happy the way the season went? Must be your highest finish in decades? 

Yes

The playoffs and Falkirk game aside it’s been a very good season. It’s just annoying that those sticking points were our biggest games in years. 

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

Play off aside, are Ayr fans not happy the way the season went? Must be your highest finish in decades? 

I’m not happy and we kind of ended up second by default because Dipo. I’ve  questioned bullen since January and now I feel that he can’t continue 

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I do have a gut feeling that Bullen will leave. I could be totally wrong with that but it's just a sense.

He knows more than anyone that expectations for next season have been raised. He made reference to it being twice as hard next season and creating a rod for their own backs. 

I wouldn't mind him staying if he brought in a couple of good coaches. An assistant that has a bit of tactical nous and a defensive coach. I'm not being facetious, but whoever is coaching the defence made a rip roaring arse of it for those two legs. We didn't learn the lessons of the first leg. The left and right backs didn't look like they knew what they should be doing or where they should be. That's a matter of coaching and organisation. The players are limited in those positions but you need to get the most out of them. We didn't.

Edit - Just to clarify. If he doesn't bring in better coaches then I'm Bullen out. As I don't think he can take us any further.

I'd be amazed if he's away after that interview he's just given. And surely it'd have been announced by now if he was

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They’re a better team than us though. They’d likely have challenged Dundee a lot closer had they been injury free. 

The fact they’ve lost something like 1 game in the last 17 tells you how good they are when they’ve got a full compliment of players to choose from and have a manager who uses them properly. Had we kept eleven men on the park on Friday it likely wouldn’t have been the pumping it turned out to be. 

Bullen can take a lot of criticism throughout the season but so do a lot of the players. Equally they can all take a lot of praise. If Bullen walks then fair enough but there’s not a chance we sack him and if we do then it sends out a terrible message to prospective managers we’d like to attract. 

See I don’t think sacking him would be seen as a negative for prospective managers, we need to cite style of play as the reason we let him go and move on to someone else. 

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I think we were last 2nd at this level in 2000 with Barr bankrolling our galacticos.

I'm content with the season. A lot of the football has been turgid long ball to Dipo and he's carried us through games. Even more so than Shankland used to do.

We've also shat the bed in every big game this season. Especially dissapointing when we get big crowds and we play terribly.

The only pressure game we won was the last game of the season (away to Inverness, who were flying) which secured 2nd which was quite something.

It's undoubtedly been a much better season than last but I am left thinking what might have been.

That said 2nd place and the inevitable sale of Dipo will give us a warchest of sorts for next season. Bring it on!

Just now, ryanayr1987 said:

See I don’t think sacking him would be seen as a negative for prospective managers, we need to cite style of play as the reason we let him go and move on to someone else. 

All people will see is that we finished second and decided to sack him off. He’s being rightly praised by everyone outside the club for his efforts. 

At the end of the day he’ll be judged on his remit to keep us comfortably safe in the league and he surpassed that. Football wasn’t great post January but that’s the reality of this league. It’s a slog for the second half and we did it having lost a huge player in Chalmers.

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I'd be amazed if he's away after that interview he's just given. And surely it'd have been announced by now if he was

Not if he moves to another job, hes under contract. 👀