The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

There's not enough anger and frustration. Our manager and a lot of our fans see an 8-0 defeat as a cause for celebration. Yes we finished second but the play-offs are a separate entity. I still fail to understand the psyche of happy clappers.

Apart from here I'm not really seeing any other pockets of anger and frustration floating about, which is surprising. Any recognition should have been at the last home league game or last league game. Not to rip on anyone that did last night but not a chance I would have.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

There's not enough anger and frustration. Our manager and a lot of our fans see an 8-0 defeat as a cause for celebration. Yes we finished second but the play-offs are a separate entity. I still fail to understand the psyche of happy clappers.

The play-offs render 2nd place redundant IMO. Especially when you make as much of a c**t of the play offs as we did.

It's like passing your driving test then instantly going drink driving and losing your licence.

7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

This pic is somehow worse than the video. Take out the text at the bottom and how would you explain this to someone if they saw it and asked you about it. Then you've got Bullen the Redeemer posed in all his glory.

Been an awful lot of cringe moments from the club this season, ultimately it's harmless and you don't bother with it cause it's not really targeted at you, but it can get a bit galling.

IMG_20230527_152612.jpg.5bab6165da6f46ba5a351a2d6ca61339.jpg

21 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

I don’t think anyone sees the last two results as a cause for celebration. However the players deserve some appreciation for the season as a whole. If you can’t see past the playoffs and therefore can’t see that it’s been a good season then fair enough. 

But plenty of people can and are well within their rights to do as they please. 

12 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The play-offs render 2nd place redundant IMO. Especially when you make as much of a c**t of the play offs as we did.

It's like passing your driving test then instantly going drink driving and losing your licence.

No they don’t.

You still get the prize money earned and a lot of people on here were saying that anything else is a bonus on top of what we’ve already done. We were piss poor last week and last nights game was ruined by a stupid red card decision. We were never overturning the deficit but with eleven men we might’ve been able to put in a decent performance and earn a bit of respect back. Instead we went down to ten and were never going to stop a pumping from then on. 

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

No they don’t.

You still get the prize money earned and a lot of people on here were saying that anything else is a bonus on top of what we’ve already done. We were piss poor last week and last nights game was ruined by a stupid red card decision. We were never overturning the deficit but with eleven men we might’ve been able to put in a decent performance and earn a bit of respect back. Instead we went down to ten and were never going to stop a pumping from then on. 

Partick were running through us at will even before the red card.  

Just now, Nelson said:

Partick were running through us at will even before the red card.  

We’d had a few chances ourselves in fairness. It was more end to end prior to the sending off. 

As I said we weren’t getting back into it after last week but all I wanted was a level of effort and desire to try and win the game. We don’t know what would’ve happened had Dipo stayed on but I doubt it would’ve been the Thistle onslaught that it was. That came in part to the ball not sticking up front and the defence and midfield being under constant pressure. 

23 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

No they don’t.

Maybe, but it definitely feels redundant now to me.

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

Maybe, but it definitely feels redundant now to me.

Because it’s the day after the result. Fully believe that if folk waited a few days before posting after a result then there’d be less reactionary stuff but I get that’s the point of a forum and I am definitely guilty of it as well.

The first thing the club needs to do is get a sit down with Mathie and go from there. If Bullen is buggering off then he needs to do it within the next week so we can plan accordingly. I’m now edging towards thinking he’ll stay but I’m not really sure. 

43 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Apart from here I'm not really seeing any other pockets of anger and frustration floating about, which is surprising. Any recognition should have been at the last home league game or last league game. Not to rip on anyone that did last night but not a chance I would have.

In fairness most people have more pressing issues to be worried about whether that be their Golf handicap, booking a holiday, going out for a meal with family or friends or just basically getting on with their life.

It is what it is but it's finished now and hopefully next season will continue to see us compete and improve both on and off the pitch.....

25 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think anyone sees the last two results as a cause for celebration. However the players deserve some appreciation for the season as a whole. If you can’t see past the playoffs and therefore can’t see that it’s been a good season then fair enough. 

But plenty of people can and are well within their rights to do as they please. 

The suggestion the manager and any of the support see an 8-0 aggregate defeat as cause for celebration is just utter bollocks. Our two play off performances have been abject at best and the manager described last night as embarrassing so the original poster here is just making that up.

I wasn’t going to applaud the players off the pitch last night but when some came over to applaud the remaining fans like young Paul Smith I gave them a clap in return to acknowledge their appreciation and also for their efforts over the season not last night. I noticed that Maguire was one of the first to slink straight back down the tunnel -  hope he made a swift exit from the ground too along with McAlear and they never darken our door again.

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I don't know what folk want from the centre backs.  Generally they are good enough for the Championship top half.  

They are given zero protection from their full backs or the midfield in front of them and they have a goalkeeper behind them that struggles with shots from range.  

They've all had more good games than bad, if Kirk was ours we wouldn't be making a signing in that position in the summer because it's just not required.  

Agree with this - we had three good centre backs this season that I think would have done a job at any other team in the league. Don’t agree with your thoughts on Albinson - think he’s been very solid all season last night excepted.

Our full backs are dross and the midfield not much better. Dempsey dropped away late on in the season but came out as a positive overall. Murdoch was the big disappointment - looks shot and is in the same must be replaced category as the full backs for me - maybe one more season for old times sake but that might just be sentiment talking as he’s been a good servant. Would like to see Smith get a run - was one of the few positives from last night in his short run.

As others have said some polite applause to recognise the efforts of a hard working group over a long season was completely fine. 

The singing in the hub is clearly a step too far though, we were utterly embarrassed over the two legs. Most of us have donated £40 to watch both legs of that shite. It’s the kind of performance where I would expect the management and players to come out and apologise to the fans - which might still happen tbf. 

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Eschewed entirely of any actual detail it was a cracker of a season. Scottish Cup QF, highest league finish since Saddam Hussein was alive, player of the year, new stand coming, made a profit.

Try to imagine from an outsider's perspective just how bad the football could have gotten to make it an open fan debate about whether the manager should be sacked!

Basically there are two questions now. The first is whether the scouting that uncovered Adeloye and Akinyemi uncovers a third unicorn. The second is whether it might not be a better idea to put someone in charge that might get the most of these players instead of relying on them as a crutch to achieve his single target of avoiding relegation.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

As others have said some polite applause to recognise the efforts of a hard working group over a long season was completely fine. 

The singing in the hub is clearly a step too far though, we were utterly embarrassed over the two legs. Most of us have donated £40 to watch both legs of that shite. It’s the kind of performance where I would expect the management and players to come out and apologise to the fans - which might still happen tbf. 

I think its likely there will be an apology. I imagine the internal club post match interview will be of that ilk.

There needs to be some major player movement outwards. There are too many passengers in the squad.

I'm far from convinced with Bullen but hopefully he walks into another role as well. If he is to stay he needs something different in his coaching team as he doesn't seem to be able to influence games. I genuinely wonder what the full backs are being coached week to week,  they've all regressed. Every one of them is worse than they were at the start of the season.

We have a big summer coming up with good funds (from 2nd place & the eventual sale of Dipo). We need to spend them wisely. Hopefully we're increasing the budget over the next couple of seasons rather than spending them all in one go next season.

50 minutes ago, Thumper said:

to achieve his single target of avoiding relegation.

Was that really the target though? To my mind I think mid table / play offs would have been discussed behind closed doors at the club as a target for this season before a ball had been kicked.

This would've been seen as progression from last season and certainly fit in with the 5 year plan that the chairman has previously spoken about.

It certainly doesn't feel like it at the moment but we are definitely progressing and with smart recruitment over the summer we can keep progressing. 

At face value, there are plenty of clubs who would have loved to have had our season, the optics and nuts and bolts of how we got there show the hard work that still has to be done. 

Nobody within the club will be complacent enough to think otherwise. 

It was great to see the old ground with a decent crowd in it last night, hopefully this can be replicated next season.

We can surely go into next season as a club and fanbase with a lot to be positive about. ⚪⚫

17 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

We have a big summer coming up with good funds (from 2nd place & the eventual sale of Dipo). We need to spend them wisely. Hopefully we're increasing the budget over the next couple of seasons rather than spending them all in one go next season.

As long as there's no blowing it all on players like Maguire.

I'm confident there was a summer interview where they talked about mid table and pushing for the playoffs. 

Regardless, in second place unless they planned to win the league they'll have surpassed any targets they had.  Good for them.  

Was it enjoyable to get there? No. 

6 hours ago, Young Eddie said:

There's no story here, Bullen hasn't committed some heinous atrocity (well, apart from the last 2 games and Christmas onwards arguably) and folk need to relax about this daft wee vid.

So apart from half the season he's done well then?

Look at Dipo's return after mid December, trans had worked out we only had one threat and if they nullified that we are toothless. A good manager should have a go at a plan B