The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Tonight was a disaster and last week was a disaster, there's no getting away from that, however all this talk of "he'll need to answer for this " and "he shouldn't get a free ride either" is nothing other than crazy talk. And as for not replacing Brad Young, the guy was mediocre at best and wasn't any real upgrade on McKenzie.

We've massively over achieved and exceeded all expectations so instead of recriminations it will be back slapping and applause for the season we've just had and rightly so. We finished 2nd and not 2nd bottom yet reading some of the stuff on here you'd think we'd just been relegated.

Ultimately we're all disappointed but such is life.

2 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

It wasn't Bullen out there second to every ball. You can pick faults in tactics or selection but individually we were way off it tonight.

Bullen picks the team.  The set up last week of 2 non scoring strikers plus 2 wingers (one of whom isn’t 100% match fit) was kamikaze stuff.  Tonight we made things even worse by dropping Murdoch (who at least puts in a shift) in favour of a human statue who has contributed nothing since signing.  I really don’t know what else that can be said about Ashford and McKenzie., and yet Bullen keeps playing them.

Just now, THEHonestman1910 said:

Well yeah, did you see the sauce with Kelly, McCowan and Forrest. 

Yup. And I also witnessed the December crumblings each and every season under him. A crumbling which would’ve no doubt happened had he not left when he did. 

People can remember that era fondly and I certainly do for the most part. But you also have to acknowledge his total lack of tactics beyond signing a lot of technically good players and seeing what they can do. It’s what he did at Thistle when he went back and it’s incredible to watch them now they actually have a bit of coaching going on. Genuinely I think they are very good. 

McCall did not develop our own young players in fact he was more of a hindrance to certain ones, his tactics were far from fluid as I’ve just said and his teams were always built around one or two individuals. 

35 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I think most referees nowadays would have shown a red.  Maybe that’s wrong, but if you lash out like that, you’re inviting trouble.  The only comfort is that it mattered not a jot.  

I don’t think that’s the case anymore - only the overly officious/awful referees like Steven would. 

26 minutes ago, rgreig said:

I think the last two games have highlighted all our weaknesses - both in the playing squad and in the management.

I hope we are able to increase the quality throughout the squad. If we use the additional money we have received (or will receive from the sale of Akinyemi) wisely then this will ultimately be seen as an important season for us.

I hope that the Smith and Mathie are now under no illusions about how much investment this team needs in order to be able to challenge for promotion credibly.

Yeah, completely. We all knew what our weaknesses were, and Partick completely exploited them. It obviously hugely helps them that they only played against Dipo for about 15 minutes so their main weaknesses weren’t tested at all. 

13 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

The point blank refusal to sign a full back for either side this season despite not having a passable one cost us when it mattered.  

Instead we got Maguire on £1k a week.  

:lol:

Mathie gets too much of a free pass for allowing shit like that to go on. 

Bullen brought on Maguire, who, let's be honest, is past it and has done nothing of real value in an Ayr shirt. Did nothing today and looked out of place.

What annoys me about him is that he has the same sort of Swagger about him as Stevo did. Almost as if he believes he's better than Ayr because of where he's played previously 😒

I'd have brought on Daire instead

Something which always goes against Bullen aswell is the style of play on the whole has been pretty grim viewing, which is why there's so many comparisons made back to McCall era as style of plays are completely different 180's

6 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Some fans in now at 4.30

I was there at 5 and it was busy as expected - and yet they couldn't even have the outside bar set up properly until after 6pm.  On the biggest crowd of the season on the sunniest day of the year.  I love the Hub for its location and the stuff inside but the queues and organisation is pathetic - do we employ someone to run it?   When there's loads of folk now taking their own carryout in cos they know there's absolutely no chance of getting served without a 20 minute queue then the pub is having a shocker. 

Impressively that wasn't even the most shambolic part of the day but I'm not even going to bother mentioning the game as that will have presumably have been covered 🤣

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

McCall did not develop our own young players in fact he was more of a hindrance to certain ones, his tactics were far from fluid as I’ve just said and his teams were always built around one or two individuals. 

Bit harsh considering what he done with Forrest and McCowan...

As others have said, starting McAlear was absolutely wild. 

Last week, McAlear is behind Dempsey, Murdoch and Smith and yet this week manages to bypass two of them for a start. 

McAlear and Maguire go down as absolutely woeful signings, Maguire was abysmal when he came on too. 

Absolutely scunnered for Ayr fans. I'm a Morton supporter but I stay in Girvan and I've been coming to Somerset home games every time Ton are up at Cove or somewhere else stupid-miles away. Keep your chins up, laddies - fitba can be a cruel mistress. See yous next season.

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

He did nothing with McCowan.  He admitted at the time he wasn’t aware of his progression within the youth setup.  Not at all sure that McCall took the slightest interest in the academy.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Tonight was a disaster and last week was a disaster, there's no getting away from that, however all this talk of "he'll need to answer for this " and "he shouldn't get a free ride either" is nothing other than crazy talk. And as for not replacing Brad Young, the guy was mediocre at best and wasn't any real upgrade on McKenzie.

We've massively over achieved and exceeded all expectations so instead of recriminations it will be back slapping and applause for the season we've just had and rightly so. We finished 2nd and not 2nd bottom yet reading some of the stuff on here you'd think we'd just been relegated.

Ultimately we're all disappointed but such is life.

Morton overachieved because Imrie gets failed players to run through walls for him. Arbroath overachieved last season because Dick Campbell can build a squad.

We sleepwalked in to second because Dipo was a perfect storm. Tonight, if anything has proved this. 

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

He did nothing with McCowan.  He admitted at the time he wasn’t aware of his progression within the youth setup.  Not at all sure that McCall took the slightest interest in the academy.

Exactly- he brought McCowan in from nowhere away at Thistle right at the end of season  to start and he was superb, yet earlier in season we had been playing about everyone out of position to avoid having any kids on the park.  

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Forrest was already well established in the first team before McCall and was hindered by a lack of regular playing time for the most part. 

Crawford was played out of position and made a huge scapegoat.

McGuffie was talked up as the next big thing constantly which led to our expectations being unnecessarily high and he obviously never fulfilled them. 

And let’s get it right, McCowan forced his way in and McCall had no choice but to play him due to injuries. 

9 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Bullen brought on Maguire, who, let's be honest, is past it and has done nothing of real value in an Ayr shirt. Did nothing today and looked out of place.

What annoys me about him is that he has the same sort of Swagger about him as Stevo did. Almost as if he believes he's better than Ayr because of where he's played previously 😒

I'd have brought on Daire instead

Aye, for a guy that can't trap a ball he's got a fair swagger about him.  

At that point I'd have brought on Kirk. 

Can't say too much about Aero tbf because he did wind up merchant stuff like that while at Ayr but only reason we loved it then was cause he was playing for us.

Dipo Akinyemi was dismissed for a first-half shove on Aaron Muirhead

Edited by rb123!

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Morton overachieved because Imrie gets failed players to run through walls for him.

Agreed, 100%. A very astute comment from someone who's knowledgable about the game.

Edited by Chippyminton

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

Aye, for a guy that can't trap a ball he's got a fair swagger about him.  

At that point I'd have brought on Kirk. 

Genuinely laughed out loud when Smith or Mullin swung a ball in (can’t mind who) and he misjudged it so badly he ended up with it smacking off his face. 

He just saunters about trying nice passes that rarely come off. Major Gary Harkins vibes about him.