The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Lee Bullen the latest to be rumoured to be joining us as manager. How would you lads feel about that? Gutted or indifferent?

Nah not a chance. You’re getting Billy Dodds back. 

52 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Alan Archibald has been seen watching us. Maybe McCalls eyes at the club for his return. 

Archibald is now a coach* at Motherwell fwiw. I reckon he’s trying to distance himself from McCall and he’s got Scally anyway.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

McCall had a rotten season with a very good Thistle squad. Shankland also said on Open Goal podcast that McCall isn't a tactical manager, which has been levelled at Bullen on here frequently. Time to move on lads. 

Could that maybe be how Shankland became a better player? Having nobody to tactically hold him back?

I know it's a rubbish comparison but The Moff was rapidly scoring goals under Mark Roberts (who we gathered isn't the worlds greatest tactician) but moved to Dunfermline and didn't score as many, due to having to play under tactics 🤔

3 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Could that maybe be how Shankland became a better player? Having nobody to tactically hold him back?

I know it's a rubbish comparison but The Moff was rapidly scoring goals under Mark Roberts (who we gathered isn't the worlds greatest tactician) but moved to Dunfermline and didn't score as many, due to having to play under tactics 🤔

I believe most of the credit for McCalls success at Ayr was Scally and Stewart they took 99% of the training and were major players in the tactical side 

8 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I believe most of the credit for McCalls success at Ayr was Scally and Stewart they took 99% of the training and were major players in the tactical side 

It was a crime that Sandy wasn't given the job before kerr imo.

Not a chance McCall comes back, nor would I want him too. If/when Bullen goes it will be someone in the same mould as him, a young, inexperienced possibly 1st time head coach. If that is the case I hope we can get an experienced assistant in beside him to assist. 

34 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Not a chance McCall comes back, nor would I want him too. If/when Bullen goes it will be someone in the same mould as him, a young, inexperienced possibly 1st time head coach. If that is the case I hope we can get an experienced assistant in beside him to assist. 

I don't think McCall is the type of manager who would want to be given players to manage rather than source them himself. I also don't think he is the type that would pay attention to data analysis and pick a starting 11 based on that. 

There may be experienced coaches out there that would be willing to though. The success rate of plucking a fresh, untried manager that is any good is incredibly low. 

34 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don't think McCall is the type of manager who would want to be given players to manage rather than source them himself

He had a good Ayr team, left for Partick and pretty much tried to build the same team with a few from that Ayr team.... Bell, Docherty, Geggan etc as they had won the league the year previous.

I know McCall had dealt with some demons in Gambling addiction and I'm honestly glad he got that sorted. Ayr gave him the chance to get noticed again and did well enough to go back to his favoured club, Partick......who then sacked him.

Do I see McCall back managing at Ayr?

No.

Do I want to see some players Ayr had whilst McCall was manager back playing for Ayr?

We know the answer.

33 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

He had a good Ayr team, left for Partick and pretty much tried to build the same team with a few from that Ayr team.... Bell, Docherty, Geggan etc as they had won the league the year previous.

I know McCall had dealt with some demons in Gambling addiction and I'm honestly glad he got that sorted. Ayr gave him the chance to get noticed again and did well enough to go back to his favoured club, Partick......who then sacked him.

Do I see McCall back managing at Ayr?

No.

Do I want to see some players Ayr had whilst McCall was manager back playing for Ayr?

We know the answer.

He has always signed players he knows and trusts as the backbone of his squads but I think he was running out of useful ones after 20 years of managing.