The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Lee Bullen the latest to be rumoured to be joining us as manager. How would you lads feel about that? Gutted or indifferent?

He's supposed to be moving back to England to be with his family so I doubt it.  

I'd be happy enough with this outcome though.  

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Lee Bullen the latest to be rumoured to be joining us as manager. How would you lads feel about that? Gutted or indifferent?

Indifferent. I fully expected him to move on at end of the season but presumed it would be to move back down south closer to his family  

13 hours ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Just go with no reservations. It's a big game. We'll get rinsed but so what? More fans, more money. I'm half looking forward to it. I always feel like that if i'm going tbh

This was how I felt about the 7-0 shoeing from ICT. There's games where you leave early because you're scunnered and there's games where you stay because it's funny.

31 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It may seem harsh but I wouldn't be too fussed tbh.

43 minutes ago, Thumper said:

This was how I felt about the 7-0 shoeing from ICT. There's games where you leave early because you're scunnered and there's games where you stay because it's funny.

What a day that was.

47 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I'd much rather have Lee bullen in charge than some jobber that does the rounds up here .

His football has been poor too watch for quite a while .but finishing 2nd in his full season in charge is magnificent if you ask me.

The first half of the season we actually played some very decent stuff at times and were also the highest scorers in the league, unfortunately we lost Chalmers, Mullin was out for a while and O'Connor was both injured and out of favour which didn't help and we seemed to go much more conservative which wasn't ideal, given that outscoring the opposition had previously seemed to be working.

In some respects you have to play with the hand you're dealt and it shouldn't be forgotten that we tried to sign both Dom Thomas and Craig Sibbald who would undoubtedly have provided more "football" to our side had we got them.

Irrespective, we managed 2nd place and now we have to prove that it was no fluke and that we can build on that for next season.

Friday is a shot to nothing but the real hard work will be putting together a squad for next season that not only will be competing at the top half of the league but also providing the fans with some excitement and quality football and that challenge will be the same for Bullen or whoever replaces him should he leave.

Let's just hope that Mathie and Glendinning are already on the job....

No doubt Bullen over achieved this season particularly when you look at the squad.

For various reasons I don't think it's the worst idea to reset in the summer and accept going backwards next season in order to go forward long term. 

You could understand Bullen maybe choosing to go when, from the outside, his reputation is high. However if the family stuff is true then more chance him being the next Farsley Celtic manager than Dundee.

My take on it is that Bullen is similar to McCall in that he is a decent to good championship manager, but that is his upper limit. 

Both have excellent man management skills and are able to blend a squad of different personalities together who are willing to fight for the cause. 

McCall of course has an excellent eye for a player, whereas I’m not sure Bullen does. On the other hand though, McCall has no coaching ability and by all accounts Bullen does. 

Both of their main weaknesses are the tactical side, Bullen was really shown up again last Friday. 

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

You seem to be mistaking the name 'Bullen' for the word 'Bullshit'.

Think Dundee will get Neilson or some other roundabout Premier League manager 😒

1 hour ago, Pick that one out Marshall said:

😂😂😂😂

10 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

You seem to be mistaking the name 'Bullen' for the word 'Bullshit'.

Think Dundee will get Neilson or some other roundabout Premier League manager 😒

Neilson would easily be preferable tbh.

40 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Neilson would easily be preferable tbh.

John mcglynn? Paul Hartley? 🤔

There's a few decent managers within the lower leagues of Scottish football. Neilson seems to have some sort of funding wherever he goes.

Craig Levein? 😂

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Indifferent is the perfect word I’d say. I wouldn’t be gutted and I’d say it could maybe a blessing in disguise for us as it would give someone else a shot to take us further. 

However I don’t actually see him being interested and that’s not me saying the Ayr job is more attractive than the Dundee job but I think he came up wanting to earn himself a shot at a League One or Two club down South. It’s unlikely to happen unless we go up but the rumours about him being homesick might mean he’ll be away back down without a job lined up. 

If he went then he’d go with a thanks and good luck as factually he is our most successful manager since Dalziel but I think there’s limitations with him that will prevent us winning this league. 

4 hours ago, GaryMc93 said:

No doubt Bullen over achieved this season particularly when you look at the squad.

Bullen lucked out with Akinyemi. When teams shut him out, we are clueless, when he was missing against Thistle we were hopeless. If Dipo had a spell out injured for a couple of months we could have been in a relegation fight. 

He is a bit like Roberts, Moffats goals kept him in a job. Bullen has more to him than Roberts but he has been very lucky with Dipo's consistency. 

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

John mcglynn? Paul Hartley? 🤔

There's a few decent managers within the lower leagues of Scottish football. Neilson seems to have some sort of funding wherever he goes.

Craig Levein? 😂

I genuinely rate Hartley but after the season McGlynn and he have had, they'll be lucky to keep the jobs they have at this rate!