The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Did that Zambia fan ever make it over, there was a fair chunk raised for him last time I looked.

Maybe it's just me but I find the whole Zambia thing very odd. Donating your money towards a 'fan' who only started following the club because of a player and a person no one has ever met is either bizarre or people are just careless with their money. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Given the amount of people who have apparently heard about Bullen moving on then I’d imagine there’s perhaps something to it. Not sure I’m too keen on the idea of Davidson coming in though. 

Haven't heard anything about Davidson but he would probably fit the Davie Smith manager profile.  

I doubt he'd turn down Dundee to come to us though.  

Just now, itzdrk said:

Haven't heard anything about Davidson but he would probably fit the Davie Smith manager profile.  

Dundee can have him. They do seem like a bit of a basket case though. 

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

I wouldn't be so sure, tbh.

Dundee requires a complete squad being built, to Premiership standard, and he'd have to do that in one Summer. Only a fool would take that job especially as whoever it is will be hounded within 6 months if they get it wrong. He can't afford another quick failure on his CV.

A more settled squad who just need tweaks and are looking to be one of the stronger teams in their division is a much better fit for what he needs as his next job.

4 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I doubt Smith would’ve even considered Lee Bullen so whilst I’m sure he’ll have final day it will definitely be on Mathies recommendation. 

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

On a different note, its interesting that McAlear is performing almost exactly the same for you as he did for Tranmere. Wonder if he was a "data" signing or not? 

mcalear.thumb.png.722607e356a8d883e78146a0030bde0a.png

Just less creative in his passing for you. Pretty much below average, or around average, at everything except safe passes and disrupting opponents on the ground.

I’m guessing if he was a data signing as such it might be based more on his spell at Inverness…

I think we were all expecting a top end championship creative midfielder, but it just hasn’t happened. He can be okay at times a bit deeper but it hasn’t happened too often! He certainly isn’t an improvement on our own academy prospect Paul Smith, who he has largely kept out of the team. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m guessing if he was a data signing as such it might be based more on his spell at Inverness…

I think we were all expecting a top end championship creative midfielder, but it just hasn’t happened. He can be okay at times a bit deeper but it hasn’t happened too often! He certainly isn’t an improvement on our own academy prospect Paul Smith, who he has largely kept out of the team. 

mca2.thumb.png.7d599ab3c1e64bd1392a93ba5e482fd9.png

Hard to tell but was just sort of an average creative CM even at ICT. If anything was better getting on the end chances rather than creating them?

Definitely a disappointing looking signing though, tbf. 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hard to tell but was just sort of an average creative CM even at ICT. If anything was better getting on the end chances rather than creating them?

He was good at free kicks and scored a couple of long range efforts from open play, apart from that he was mostly average.

22 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I believe it was part of the deal of Chalmers going to Tranmere that they gave us someone on loan to the end of the season and McAlear had championship experience having played in it with Inverness 

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wouldn't be so sure, tbh.

Dundee requires a complete squad being built, to Premiership standard, and he'd have to do that in one Summer. Only a fool would take that job especially as whoever it is will be hounded within 6 months if they get it wrong. He can't afford another quick failure on his CV.

A more settled squad who just need tweaks and are looking to be one of the stronger teams in their division is a much better fit for what he needs as his next job.

Definitely not Ayr then.

I fully expect Akinyemi to have a cameo at the 7-0 aggregate mark next week. Probably another 4-4-2 with Reading starting again on the General Haig principal that they'll never see it coming.

No way Bullen's leaving, no way Bullen's getting an assistant. Bullen is the assistant. Bibs, cones, training, good in front of a camera. Presumably the idea is just to wing it with respect to selection and tactics until they can be adequately dealt with backstage.

Went into this season expecting another relegation battle. By any measure at all this season has been a massive success and the best since the Barr era. All of that is due to whatever scouting network uncovered Akinyemi and they're going to have their work cut out for them this year, especially if the aim is something higher than 8th. An entire new forward line and two fullbacks is the bare minimum.

Friday is absolute cuckold territory now. Will be astonished if microphones are permitted anywhere near the home support.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It seems he was overrated by sections of the ICT support, and that was possibly due to him over performing in terms of scoring a few important goals for them. 

One of those signings where it has stifled the game time of one of our own youth players who he isn’t any better than - which is always annoying! Our January business hasn’t worked at all this year unfortunately. 

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I fully expect Akinyemi to have a cameo at the 7-0 aggregate mark next week. Probably another 4-4-2 with Reading starting again on the General Haig principal that they'll never see it coming.

No way Bullen's leaving, no way Bullen's getting an assistant. Bullen is the assistant. Bibs, cones, training, good in front of a camera. Presumably the idea is just to wing it with respect to selection and tactics until they can be adequately dealt with backstage.

Went into this season expecting another relegation battle. By any measure at all this season has been a massive success and the best since the Barr era. All of that is due to whatever scouting network uncovered Akinyemi and they're going to have their work cut out for them this year, especially if the aim is something higher than 8th. An entire new forward line and two fullbacks is the bare minimum.

Friday is absolute cuckold territory now. Will be astonished if microphones are permitted anywhere near the home support.

It's been a strange, strange season.

On one hand, the highest league position since the 2000/2001 season is a great achievement and one that the management team and players deserve a lot of credit for. On the other hand, barring a miracle comeback of Istanbul 2005 proportions on Friday night, this season has been a massive missed opportunity.

16 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

It's been a strange, strange season.

On one hand, the highest league position since the 2000/2001 season is a great achievement and one that the management team and players deserve a lot of credit for. On the other hand, barring a miracle comeback of Istanbul 2005 proportions on Friday night, this season has been a massive missed opportunity.

Yeah, we'd probably need to score 6 or 7 to get to extra time. 

31 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

On the other hand, barring a miracle comeback of Istanbul 2005 proportions on Friday night

I was working in EK that night and by the time I got back in it was the second half of extra time.

What's Benitez up to these days?

In terms of next season we’re probably looking at needing something like this.

Albinson 

New RB 

New CB 

Musonda/McGinty 

New LB 

Dempsey 

Murdoch 

New CM

Mullin

New ST

New LW

Subs, 

New GK, McAllister, New DEF, Reading, Smith, New MID, JML, McKenzie, New FW

Thats probably being ambitious as it’s unlikely Reading will bother hanging about if we actively sign a left back but in that case Ecrepont would just take his place. Think it’s far more likely that Ecrepont is given a chance in the league cup and if he does well enough then he’ll be in ahead of Reading.