The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Don’t know why he didn’t start, he’s been the best in that position for 90% of the season.

Because Bullen brought him on as a hail mary sub last time and it worked. That's the complete depth of his tactical acumen.

Hewitt being hung out to dry by his manager playing him there in the first place or supporters when he's not playing in his natural or favoured position is so unfair.

We've had him, McAllister and Houston all in there this season and clearly the management team don't have faith in any if them, nor should they.

Additions in the summer of both full backs should be the absolute priority along with the Dipo replacement/s.

Their right back scores the first goal from the angle of our 6 yard box, that's the difference.

The movement and tempo of Thistle was light years ahead of what we could offer.

We let Brownlie and Muirhead stroll through the night really, even without Dipo.

No complaints at all with the result on the night but we made a good Thistle team look even better than that.

The defensive line in the build up to their goals is the stuff of schoolboys. I'd love to know the percentage of goals we concede from our left side. 

Not good enough.

Edited by BukyOHare

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

Hewitt being hung out to dry by his manager playing him there in the first place or supporters when he's not playing in his natural or favoured position is so unfair.

We've had him, McAllister and Houston all in there this season and clearly the management team don't have faith in any if them, nor should they.

Additions in the summer of both full backs should be the absolute priority along with the Dipo replacement/s.

Their right back scores the first goal from the angle of our 6 yard box, that's the difference.

The movement and tempo of Thistle was light years ahead of what we could offer.

We let Brownlie and Muirhead stroll through the night really, even without Dipo.

No complaints at all with the result on the night but we made a good Thistle team look even better than that.

The defensive line in the build up to their goals is the stuff of schoolboys. I'd love to know the percentage of goals we concede from our left side. 

Not good enough.

You missed ecrepont he has played rb better than Hewitt did tonight 

Just now, ryanayr1987 said:

You missed ecrepont he has played rb better than Hewitt did tonight 

The fact he did play there again only highlights how much of a priority getting one maybe two in the summer should be. 

Call me old fashioned, but full backs who actually want to track runners, block crosses and get forward when they can

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

The fact he did play there again only highlights how much of a priority getting one maybe two in the summer should be. 

Call me old fashioned, but full backs who actually want to track runners, block crosses and get forward when they can

There is absolutely no doubt we need a minimum of two

Bullen is so infuriating at times: 

Why didn’t we start with three in central midfield. 

Why when our central midfielders were getting dragged all over the place, leaving huge gaps in the middle of the park did we still not go to three in midfield until it was 3-0. 

Why did Mikey Hewitt start, a genuinely disgraceful performance. 

I’ve defended O’Connor a lot, though I didn’t think the away leg was the game for him to be starting - he was absolutely gutless tonight. 

A genuinely disgraceful showing overall though. Also - Kyle Turner is a horrid individual. Good player though, unfortunately. 

17 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Wouldn't doubt if it was above 70%. It's a shame as, Reading was playing for the under 21s and looked like we had signed a real talent, unfortunately he's became quite the hindrance, maybe due to being fed up? Always have the Killie goal I suppose.

Hewitt looks like a schoolboy anyway, however, McAllister looked a much better player in that position. Hewitt was out of his depth from way before kick off. Maybe a year on loan to a lower league team would boost his confidence a bit.

The lack of communication between players annoyed me tonight as well, even the usually reliable Dempsey looked out of place 😒

I'm never going to see Ayr in the Prem. A few false dawns in recent years but this season has been a kick in the baws. The Falkirk debacle, then a league nobody wanted to win, we get 2nd and the "easier" route to the Prem play off and we fck it yet again. It's a heartache right enough 

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

He was one of the few who kept going, long after some others had thrown the towel in.  McGinty is what he is - an honest big lump who wins header and makes tackles.  The idea that he was the problem tonight is a little deranged.  I hate to beat up on young players, but Hewitt is out his depth and we’re at the absolute end of the line with Reading

100% this. The it was McGinty patter needs to stop , were these little dweebs even at the game . Tonight our road ran out . Congrats to Doolan and  Thistle , they hit us in our soft spots and we got knocked out like the young but tired boxer that we are .Bullen like the rest of us knows where the improvements need to be made .  Will it get done this summer or the next ? Dunno... but we go again in July , Bring it on .

I’m no massive fan of Sean McGinty, but he wasn’t that bad, I thought your full backs and Maguire were far worse culprits, McGinty at least had the effort and looked reasonably comfortable for most of the game. 

4 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

A genuinely disgraceful showing overall though. Also - Kyle Turner is a horrid individual. Good player though, unfortunately. 

Is he, why’s that then? 

What last night brought into sharp focus is that the manager doesn't seem to be able to change a game.

It was obvious to everyone by about 30 minutes that Hewitt needed replaced. He was getting turned inside out and was drifting inside. The fact he made it to half time and then came back out was criminal. That was horrible for the boy.

The one job we had was to keep it tight and we got torn open time and time again. I was amazed that the same team came out after half time. I thought Bullen might even try to shore it up by swapping Hewitt for McAllister and bringing Kirk on for Reading and pushing Musonda out to left back. 

Thistle were very good going forward but we put up little resistance. That was about as bad as it could have gone.

Losing Dipo was a problem but our inability to defend as a unit has cost us dearly. 

Utter pish. Out of the playoffs with a fucking whimper when we sell out our allocation. Why do we always shit the bed when we get a decent attendance?

Edited by Trogdor

Pre match interview sums Bullen up.  "Dipo's fine" when just about everyone had seen the WhatsApp message saying he was 50/50 at best with a back injury.   Everything he says is like a job interview where you say the right things and sound sincere.

That was embarrassing, shaved a couple of thousand off the home crowd next week too I suspect  

7 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Bullen is so infuriating at times: 

Why didn’t we start with three in central midfield. 

Why when our central midfielders were getting dragged all over the place, leaving huge gaps in the middle of the park did we still not go to three in midfield until it was 3-0.

To be honest we've been playing with nobody in centre midfield (except on an odd occasion) since December. For me Murdoch and Dempsey as a pairing have disappeared far far too often. Both are decent individual players but neither really impose themselves.As a partnership it clearly isn't good enough. 

That's another position along with both full backs we will have to sort in the summer. Tonight actually might show folk what Sam Ashford brings when he plays on the left. There was zero cover for Reading there tonight and it was all to easy in there. I'm not saying Ashford is the answer over there. As he isn't. However without him putting a defensive shift in the difference was big.

Albinson,Musonda and McGinty are the 3 we know will probably start next season. For me every other position should be up for grabs.

Sadly I think Hewitt has had his chances. Other than Cove he just hasn't looked anywhere near ready for this level. Smith I would like to see actually get a few games. He does seem to have some quality about him and can swing in a good set piece.

McAllister not being fully fit would be the only sensible reason for not bringing him on earlier. I’m hoping that was the case rather than Bullen electing to stand there and do nothing.

We all know the full backs are a problem but I think last night really hit home how poor the midfield has been for months. You won’t see them getting criticised anywhere near as much as McGinty though, who was fine.