The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

They might not be able to (and an evening visit on a Friday night to the fucking Highlands is obviously the pathological case) but it's not outwith the realm of possibility.

I've just actually checked this and Inverness is, by a handful of miles and a few minutes, a longer trip on the road from Ayr than Blackpool is.

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Well, along the theme of things the club could be doing better to organise a community around the team, one of those things is making sure that volunteer efforts are recognised and rewarded. Obviously more than a few people have already made this point with respect to the highlights.

I agree with this , maybe they could look into something next season re getting a team together to run buses etc , they were not to know that the people who run the buses were going to announce only in last 2 weeks they were closing down , 

My two cents:

Fridays last game is shite timing to the furthest away ground. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell I can make it. I'm like Gazza at most home games and probably about half of our away games (sometimes less depending on how we are performing). Midweeks are generally a no go for me due to work commitments.

Should the club put on a bus? We've done it many times before for important games (As an example - I took a bus to Hibs away for a Scottish Cup game in 2011 from the club). Given the collapsing of the travel club it would have been a nice gesture however not sure its an obligation. I always drive to away games anyway. If I were going to Inverness for a Saturday game I'd make a weekend of it and drag the family with me.

On #Weareunited its a bit too twee for me. I guess it's aimed at the younger generation though?

On 02/05/2023 at 08:44, ayrunitedfw said:

Would like to think we're looking at Ruari Paton at QOS. 20 goals for a team who finished mid table is very impressive. 

A Dunfermline fan saying on their thread he has signed a PCA with us. That would be a very impressive signing if true. 

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

It would be downright astonishing. I'd hold off on opening the champagne if I were you.

Aye we don’t do stuff like that tbh. 

Stanger on a PCA I can believe but I’d be utterly shocked if Paton rocks up at us next season considering St Johnstone had been looking at him, no? 

8 hours ago, Trogdor said:

On #Weareunited its a bit too twee for me. I guess it's aimed at the younger generation though?

Twee is one word. Cringeworthy is another. It comes across like a millennial trying to market to Gen Z but not really understanding how they engage. It's also meaningless without supporting actions. Putting a hashtag on the shirts and at the end of every tweet is pointless if that are no initiatives in place that demonstrate the values it's meant to represent.

'We are United' could be (and is maybe intended to be) a reflection of the club's work in the community, but right now there's a disconnect between the good work being done and the performative use of the slogan that needs to be overcome. No doubt this will be addressed once they bring in the new board member with marketing experience that they were looking for.

If I'm reading this right, people are having a go at the club for not organising a bus to Friday nights game. Their right to do so.

However, Ive actually not seen anyone suggest they would actually have managed to go on this hypothetical bus, feel like they're missing out by there not being one or are even overly fussed about the match generally.

Apart from this the complaint would seem to be wholly justified.

#weareunitedwhenthesituationsuits

31 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

If I'm reading this right, people are having a go at the club for not organising a bus to Friday nights game. Their right to do so.

However, Ive actually not seen anyone suggest they would actually have managed to go on this hypothetical bus...

Fair point, I'm leaving at 3:30 from Lenzie just to make sure I'm up in time, can't imagine you'd get much change from 2:30/2:45 on a bus from Ayr

Baffled as to why anyone would expect the club to pay for their travel costs to a game.  I vaguely remember Bill Barr doing it a couple of times, but can’t remember which games - the relegation decider against Partick in 98 rings a bell.  But with money so tight, I doubt it’s a road any club really wants to go down.  If there was a genuine demand for a bus, I’m sure it could be done at a reasonable price.

21 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

However, Ive actually not seen anyone suggest they would actually have managed to go on this hypothetical bus, feel like they're missing out by there not being one or are even overly fussed about the match generally.

Apart from this the complaint would seem to be wholly justified.

#weareunitedwhenthesituationsuits

If a bus was running for a Friday night game at Inverness, the bus would need to leave Ayr at a time of day when the majority of people would be in work.

It would not have made much sense to put one on.

5 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Baffled as to why anyone would expect the club to pay for their travel costs to a game.  I vaguely remember Bill Barr doing it a couple of times, but can’t remember which games - the relegation decider against Partick in 98 rings a bell.  But with money so tight, I doubt it’s a road any club really wants to go down.  If there was a genuine demand for a bus, I’m sure it could be done at a reasonable price.

An away game to Raith, rings a (vague alcohol induced) bell as a game where the club subsidised travel back in the day.

31 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Their right to do so

A strange way to make a point. 

I haven't been on a supporters bus for years, I haven't drank before a football match since we played Hearts in the Scottish cup in the Daziel era where I had the worst hangover I'd had in years kick in during the second half. 

But I know there are people that have relied on them to get to away games. The issue I have picked up from reading the posts, which you appear to have missed is that they have been ran by volunteers with little or no support from the club. The club depends on a large number of volunteers good grace to keep the club running on a daily basis. This is not afforded to the support with regards to the highlights package or supporters busses. 

I am sure that if the club asked someone to run supporters busses for the club, they would have at least half a dozen names willing to do it. It would be the same with filming and editing highlights. 

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

An away game to Raith, rings a (vague alcohol induced) bell as a game where the club subsidised travel back in the day.

I think Barr did it as a thank you to the fans for putting up with Gordon Dalziel.  

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

A strange way to make a point. 

I haven't been on a supporters bus for years, I haven't drank before a football match since we played Hearts in the Scottish cup in the Daziel era where I had the worst hangover I'd had in years kick in during the second half. 

But I know there are people that have relied on them to get to away games. The issue I have picked up from reading the posts, which you appear to have missed is that they have been ran by volunteers with little or no support from the club. The club depends on a large number of volunteers good grace to keep the club running on a daily basis. This is not afforded to the support with regards to the highlights package or supporters busses. 

I am sure that if the club asked someone to run supporters busses for the club, they would have at least half a dozen names willing to do it. It would be the same with filming and editing highlights. 

My post was largely playing devil's advocate. Fans do have a right to criticise the club if they feel its justified on topics like this and that was what I was trying to say, probably poorly. 

The other side of the argument was if the club had hypothetically laid on a bus would it have been used? Probably not if the response on here is anything to go by.

22 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

My post was largely playing devil's advocate. Fans do have a right to criticise the club if they feel its justified on topics like this and that was what I was trying to say, probably poorly. 

The other side of the argument was if the club had hypothetically laid on a bus would it have been used? Probably not if the response on here is anything to go by.

All it would take

Last week -  Bus running to Inverness numbers dependant, please book by 12pm on Thursday.  Cost is - to be payed on booking. 

Send out daily reminders with warnings about low numbers or if more busses are added

If there aren't enough numbers to cover costs, cancel the bus with more than 24 hours notice

Cumnock have 15 busses booked for the junior cup final and we don't have one going to a season defining game.