The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

13 minutes ago, Mon eh Ton said:

Whilst an unlikely possibility, those results can still get you 6th if Morton beat QP and Cove.

5th at worst as we'd finish above Inverness due to goal difference as they've now played 35.

54 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

4 points from our final 2 games will hopefully be enough to see a top 4 finish and that's got to be seen as a success as we continue to consolidate and move forward as a 2nd tier club with realistic aspirations of making the top league in the next few years and that's something which seemed a million miles away only a few years ago.......

I hate to be pedantic, but a few years ago (2018/19) we finished fourth in this very division. 

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

In true Ayr style, we could win next week, draw at Inverness and still be 5th

We need to just take it a game at a time. I'm sure Bullen will say they are two cup finals.

Somewhat perversely, I'd have preferred to be playing Raith away. At Somerset you need to go back to start of December for a home win against a team not called Cove or Hamilton. Can you guess who that team was?

Spoiler

Raith Rovers - so maybe not so bad after all.

Edited by Trogdor
Quote rather than Spoiler

4 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Oh, and remember that no matter how bad things get as an Ayr United fan - at least you don't support one of the Glasgow Arsecheeks.

What a miserable existence that would be.

You say that, but my other half and my kid support Celtic and they seem pretty happy most of the time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

5 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

My Papa supported Ayr United for over 70 years and used to say that he wanted to see Ayr United win something before he died. He never got to see that, and probably neither will I.

Following a team like Ayr United can be a frustrating and masochistic experience. I sometimes wonder why the hell I put myself through it.

The answer to why I put myself through it is that I love this club. It is my hometown club and I am proud to call Ayr United my team. Despite all of the disappointment and heartache involved in following Ayr United, the club has given me moments of pure joy and elation that will live with me forever.

Yes, I wish we would win SOMETHING. However, that's not the most important thing. If it was, there would be no point in most of the clubs in Scotland existing. What's important is that this is OUR club, regardless of their fortunes.

BTW I didn't sleep last night so if this is a pure nonsensical ramble, I do apologise.

Have more sleepless nights m8 because that's the best post I've seen on here for ages . You missed out the pals you'll make over the journey and that feeling when you walk into a pub on an away , whither it's Annan or Aberdeen and you know just about everybody in the place . 

You are going to see Ayr United either win the Championship or win the play offs and get to the Premiership . It will happen and it will happen in the next few years . You'll think back and it will be all the sweater due to the hard times we've injured over the years . Keep the faith bud and enjoy what's coming .

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

We need to just take it a game at a time. I'm sure Bullen will say they are two cup finals.

Bullen surely isn't still giving it that chat after the most contemptuous cup runs a club has ever known this season?

6 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

My Papa supported Ayr United for over 70 years and used to say that he wanted to see Ayr United win something before he died. He never got to see that, and probably neither will I.

Following a team like Ayr United can be a frustrating and masochistic experience. I sometimes wonder why the hell I put myself through it.

The answer to why I put myself through it is that I love this club. It is my hometown club and I am proud to call Ayr United my team. Despite all of the disappointment and heartache involved in following Ayr United, the club has given me moments of pure joy and elation that will live with me forever.

Yes, I wish we would win SOMETHING. However, that's not the most important thing. If it was, there would be no point in most of the clubs in Scotland existing. What's important is that this is OUR club, regardless of their fortunes.

BTW I didn't sleep last night so if this is a pure nonsensical ramble, I do apologise.

Birthday caird pish, written by somebody's da.😉

Brilliant post. 👍

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I hate to be pedantic, but a few years ago (2018/19) we finished fourth in this very division. 

We did, but I think we both know that the circumstances of the club have now changed so that instead of having a group of players who were all going to walk without recompense and a haphazard Management and backroom structure behind the scenes, we've now got a long term plan both on and off the pitch and a Chairman who's willing and able to back the club financially, not to mention a youth academy which seems very well run and with a realistic pathway to the first team.

As I said, it's all about consolidating and building / improving as opposed to a flash in the pan season where things just click.

9 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I think people really exaggerate the difference between the two. I think O’Connor looks like the better player but in reality he hasn’t actually contributed any more than JML has.

I find myself wanting O’Connor to do well but more often than not the end product just isn’t there.

O'Connor has done slightly more with 1 Goal and 7 Assists while JML has had 2 Goals and 4 Assists thou 3 of O'Connors was in that one game against Elgin

Next Saturday Inverness and Falkirk will take the field in the Scottish Cup semi final at Hampden.

The contrast between ICT and Ayr is worth highlighting. ICT were outplayed at home in the cup by Queens Park but got a remarkable reprieve through a technicality and a passage into the next round. Boy, did they grab that opportunity with both hands and fair play to them for doing so 👏. Ayr United, on the other hand,  got a remarkable reprieve in the form of the easiest Scottish cup draw of all time and still managed to stuff it up.

Like a few posters earlier on I've been supporting Ayr for many years and will continue to do so. It's just that this season has somehow just depressed me in a way that few others have. The Falkirk game just being the icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, muZZa__44 said:

O'Connor has done slightly more with 1 Goal and 7 Assists while JML has had 2 Goals and 4 Assists thou 3 of O'Connors was in that one game against Elgin

O'Connor and JML are the same player, both flatter to decisive and have no end product. Both of these foolish footballers should be punted in the summer.

23 minutes ago, Young Eddie said:

Next Saturday Inverness and Falkirk will take the field in the Scottish Cup semi final at Hampden.

The contrast between ICT and Ayr is worth highlighting. ICT were outplayed at home in the cup by Queens Park but got a remarkable reprieve through a technicality and a passage into the next round. Boy, did they grab that opportunity with both hands and fair play to them for doing so 👏. Ayr United, on the other hand,  got a remarkable reprieve in the form of the easiest Scottish cup draw of all time and still managed to stuff it up.

Like a few posters earlier on I've been supporting Ayr for many years and will continue to do so. It's just that this season has somehow just depressed me in a way that few others have. The Falkirk game just being the icing on the cake.

To an extent I am happy for ICT and Falkirk. It's not every season that a second and third tier side have a chance to get to a national final. It should have been us though.

I remember many depressing seasons. The worst of those involved getting absolutely bodied by teams like Cowdenbeath, Alloa and Brechin City. Being an Ayr fan builds resilience at least. 

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

As I said, it's all about consolidating and building / improving as opposed to a flash in the pan season where things just click.

I'm sorry but I cannot agree. This is revisionism.

The 2018/19 team was built on the 2017/18 team. Likewise the 2019/20 team was built on the remains of the 2018/19 team (the 2019/20 team started the league on fire playing some of the best football I've seen us play).

The issue was that we lost our management team and made some dreadful appointments. Under McCall and Stewart 2018/19 wouldn't have been a flash in the pan. We may not have been able to exceed it and that was what ultimately led to McCall leaving. However, we weren't the rudderless wreck you paint now. You do a disservice to the club then in favour of now. There is no balance with you, its all one way traffic.

We've undoubtedly improved off the field and are more professional off of it as well with Smith, Mathie and Glendinning. The hub and the new north stand are phenomenal achievements. That said, If I hear once more about the 'plan' I may well implode. Every club has a plan its not novel or new (even for us - there has always been a plan), it would be a dereliction of duty not to have one.

I'd argue on the field we have gone backwards, we have no discernable style of play and we have a phenomenal player propping up the team with some average players on multi year deals (the risk of signing players up or they leave for nothing)

Your I'm a better fan than you shtick is tiring as well. You aren't a better fan than anyone else on this thread just because you are optimistic. Anyone who remains optimistic for this season having watched us these last 5 months has a screw loose in my view.

39 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Are we 100% Bullen will be here next season, as in he's homesick. There hasn't been any chat from him about next season that I've heard. Not that that's unusual but thought we might have got a snippet from him about it 

Are his family still living in England?