The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Can’t fault the work rate from the team, but the harsh reality is that we are just not good enough.  We have literally only one goal threat who has basically given up trying to set up goals for other players because he knows there’s no point.  Bizarre that we believe in McKenzie enough to hand him another 2 year contract but left him on the bench in a game where we desperately needed a goal.  I honestly though Maguire was going to get subbed back off again.

After some of the games this season that was better last night. We actually tried to pass the ball about for large parts rather than the constant hoof, but just lacked a cutting edge up front. We were the better team first half and if we had knicked a goal we would have won, but didnt, and thought 2nd half was pretty even so draw a fair result.

Unless Mullin is back play offs are pretty pointless, although I can see us havign a chance against both Partick and QP - neither are any great shakes, ICT though....

Still hoping Hamilton can scud Partick today to put us back to 4th. I cant see us going up in the playoffs but a few extra games will help the coffers and being in the playoffs may help boost our chances in the transfer market over the summer

We’re so dreary to watch, it’s unreal. It’s the same thing every time. I’m starting to see the success at the start of the season as some weird quirk, where despite playing stinking football we kept on winning. Suppose back then Akinyemi was still and unknown quantity for other teams and we had the added threat of Mullin and Chalmers. Those three guys papered over so many cracks, and now that two of them are out, we’re just absolutely hingin. 

Last night was just same old. 

Defensively we were OK. Albinson was great. I thought Musonda looked ok in the first half. But everywhere else was the usual depressing stuff I’ve seen all year. 

The midfield were non existent. Any game where Mcalear is the standout in that area of the park kinda says it all. Ashford was guff, but he’s always guff. JML, ditto. I’m veering towards putting him in the Bangala category of duds. Why either of them are starting ahead of O’conner is beyond me. 

Akinyemi being asked to make 1/2 chances into chances again, and predictably struggling. 

That’s been the match report pretty much every game this season. 

That's the big worry for me. Will we actually move the average players on? The reason I ask that, is that some of the extensions and mutli years deals given out leave me perplexed.

There are too many making up the numbers and not actually contributing enough in matches. One example - If I have to watch Paddy Reading at left back next season, I will implode with rage. 

I'm actually in two minds about renewing my season ticket which is fucking wild given where we have been. I'll be holding tight until I see what the outs and ins are.

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

That's the big worry for me. Will we actually move the average players on? The reason I ask that, is that some of the extensions and mutli years deals given out leave me perplexed.

There are too many making up the numbers and not actually contributing enough in matches. One example - If I have to watch Paddy Reading at left back next season, I will implode with rage. 

I'm actually in two minds about renewing my season ticket which is fucking wild given where we have been. I'll be holding tight until I see what the outs and ins are.

Every squad is going to have average players - we just have too many starting at the moment. Particularly as two of them are meant to be providing the creativity/goals alongside Dipo. That is our issue right now IMO, as we aren’t playing particularly badly anymore. O’Connor clearly offers more than either of them, so it is frustrating he is constantly dropped as soon as he has a quieter performance. 

I can totally relate to Trogdor being in two minds about renewing a season ticket.

And like AUFC 10 I'm not over the Falkirk result either! The fluffed cup run this season has made me me feel like we are destined never to win anything. It makes you feel like what's the point in following them year after year. Eventually the feeling of hope runs out.

It's gonna take the club achieving the much talked about "something historic" before I'll start believing again. 

At the moment we need to bin mcadams, reading,  Houston, bangala, ashford and Maguire 

I’d keep jml mcalister and mckenzie but they won’t be first team for me. They all can make an impact from the bench and add good cover. I know a lot of people don’t like Jml but he is young and has the ability to improve as we have seen flashes of quality from him.

Next season we are going to need to replace mcalear Mullin(I don’t see him signing a new contract) Kirk dipo and those above too. Add the fact that we never replaced chalmers we have a massive job in the summer 

15 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Certainly strange and worrying on the lengths of contracts some have been given, there's 4 or 5 at least first teamers who will make it difficult to improve with them still in and around the team

We know Dipo will be going but I don't think that any of the rest are irreplaceable. Albinson, Musonda and McGinty probably deserve to stay but most of the rest have been rendered invisible for large spells since around the end of October. 

Who we replace them with is a different story. The likes of Tommy Goss at Annan for example has a decent scoring record and must be an improvement on Ashford or McKenzie surely ? 

4 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:

We know Dipo will be going but I don't think that any of the rest are irreplaceable. Albinson, Musonda and McGinty probably deserve to stay but most of the rest have been rendered invisible for large spells since around the end of October. 

Who we replace them with is a different story. The likes of Tommy Goss at Annan for example has a decent scoring record and must be an improvement on Ashford or McKenzie surely ? 

If we’re looking at the lower leagues then Charlie Reilly at Albion Rovers or John Robertson at Edinburgh City should be looked at. 

13 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Just watching the game on Iplayer, I wonder how long it will be before @itzdrk is utilizing Dave Smiths slow-mo look to camera as a gif

No, I'm never watching any part of that match on TV.  :lol:

Current squad starters for next season/sign up: Albinson, Musonda, Murdoch, Dempsey, Mullin, Dipo. 

Current squad retain as squad based players: McGinty, McAllister Ecrepont, Hewitt, Smith, JML, McKenzie, Bryden

Release/Out of contract/Loan ends: McAdams, Kirk, Houston, Reading, Bangala, Ashford, Maguire, McAlear, O’Connor

Obviously Dipo will probably be away, but for now will go with him here. Looking at players potentialy available for positions we need and some which I feel is realistic targets, we could go 4231 or 433 next season.

Albinson

Oakley* New cb Musonda Strapp*

Murdoch McInroy Dempsey

Chalmers Dipo/new CF Mullin

Believe that would be a great starting 11. Probably be nowhere close to getting any signings correct, but these are the type of players we should be looking at. Both full backs would be a massive upgrade. 

*Out on contract in the summer. 

Edited by callum-ayr

I thought O'Connor caused QP more trouble than anyone last night.  I would like him to stay though  doubtful it will happen.  I also wonder whether some English clubs will come in for McGinty as was reported over the last transfer window.  

12 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Current squad starters for next season/sign up: Albinson, Musonda, Murdoch, Dempsey, Mullin, Dipo. 

Current squad retain as squad based players: McGinty, McAllister Ecrepont, Hewitt, Smith, JML, McKenzie, Bryden

Release/Out of contract/Loan ends: McAdams, Kirk, Houston, Reading, Bangala, Ashford, Maguire, McAlear, O’Connor

Obviously Dipo will probably be away, but for now will go with him here. Looking at players potentialy available for positions we need and some which I feel is realistic targets, we could go 4231 or 433 next season.

Albinson

Oakley* New cb Musonda Strapp*

Murdoch McInroy Dempsey

Chalmers Dipo/new CF Mullin

Believe that would be a great starting 11. Probably be nowhere close to getting any signings correct, but these are the type of players we should be looking at. Both full backs would be a massive upgrade. 

*Out on contract in the summer. 

Pretty sure McInroy and Chalmers are still under contract, so scrub that.  Mullin will be very much in demand in the Summer, though I’ve no doubt we’ll offer him the best terms we can.