The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The without Dipo chat is nonsense, if we didn’t sign him we were hardly going to run with Mark McKenzie up front himself all season. 

Wouldn't be so sure

Just now, Iain said:

Wouldn't be so sure

I guess we are still playing him out wide at times, which is wild. 

I’m not sure if this is just a coincidence, but the line up today was a bit odd and it just struck me that we played the exact same front six today as we did against Morton in the away game. I’m not sure if it is something Bullen has done before this season, but it seems very him to think we lost last week, this worked last time against Morton… 

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m not sure if this is just a coincidence, but the line up today was a bit odd and it just struck me that we played the exact same front six today as we did against Morton in the away game. I’m not sure if it is something Bullen has done before this season, but it seems very him to think we lost last week, this worked last time against Morton… 

homer-simpson-brain.gif.a0b317328d534f8b29e8d13de307fa65.gif

It was the backroom team's decision to hand the entire squad proper contracts. I agreed with this on the basis that the previous situation (nickel-and-dime shit that would see the club limping to the next window) is not how a club moves to the next level. However the situation now is that there are five or six players on the books, most of whom get game time every week, who are barely good enough to be in this division in the first place, let alone challenging for promotion in it, and unless some moron like Paul Hartley or whoever is stupid enough to panic-sign John Hughes next takes them off of Ayr's hands then they'll still be there drawing a wage next season.

The question is whether the board decides that it is worth spending a significant amount of money bringing in replacements for players who can't be offloaded (making Ayr's first team look sort of like a sort of shit parody of Chelsea's) or whether to just let Bullen keep playing them.

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Ashford, Dipo and McKenzie up front as a narrow 3 it works, it’s when we play McKenzie and Ashford as wingers that they are hopeless.

The full backs sitting deep and the midfield being marginally further up the park than the defence means there is a huge gap between the forwards and everyone else.

the interchanges between the front 3/4 today were brutal and gives the impression they have never trained together before. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Ashford, Dipo and McKenzie up front as a narrow 3 it works, it’s when we play McKenzie and Ashford as wingers that they are hopeless.

The full backs sitting deep and the midfield being marginally further up the park than the defence means there is a huge gap between the forwards and everyone else.

the interchanges between the front 3/4 today were brutal and gives the impression they have never trained together before. 

I think Maguire throws a huge spanner in the works when he plays. He’s slow and it’s almost as if his body can’t do what his brain plans out. There were a few times when he tried to pick out the right pass but it didn’t work. I think when you play him then you need to give him options and unfortunately McKenzie and Ashford don’t do that. Was a gamble by the club getting him in but it’s not worked out for us. I think he’ll be away in the summer. 

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

It was the backroom team's decision to hand the entire squad proper contracts. I agreed with this on the basis that the previous situation (nickel-and-dime shit that would see the club limping to the next window) is not how a club moves to the next level. However the situation now is that there are five or six players on the books, most of whom get game time every week, who are barely good enough to be in this division in the first place, let alone challenging for promotion in it, and unless some moron like Paul Hartley or whoever is stupid enough to panic-sign John Hughes next takes them off of Ayr's hands then they'll still be there drawing a wage next season.

The question is whether the board decides that it is worth spending a significant amount of money bringing in replacements for players who can't be offloaded (making Ayr's first team look sort of like a sort of shit parody of Chelsea's) or whether to just let Bullen keep playing them.

I expect our summer window to be the same as last season. Few safe, competent signings but more speculative investments. Dipo, Dempsey and Musonda have been a success, the rest, meh

Similar to the promotion play-offs that Mark Roberts qualified us for, I have absolutely zero optimism for the play-offs if we get there. 

This is a shame because it should be an exciting prospect of Premiership football next season if we can navigate the play-offs. However, I just cannot muster any enthusiasm for play-offs.

I do like Bullen as a person, I've met him and he's a very nice man. However, I don't think he's a very good manager. Tactically he's no better than Duffy and Hopkin were - he just has a better goalscorer than they did. I think he will still be here next season though, due to the "overachievement" this season. 

8 minutes ago, Thumper said:

They will absolutely let Bullen keep playing them. To do anything else would be

1. expensive

2. an admission that something is wrong with the setup

Neither is going to happen. Some of the recruitment has been good (Akinyemi, Dempsey, Kirk, Albinson, Chalmers etc.) but some has been abject. There's also been a blurring of responsibility about who actually signs and recruits players. (No doubt some in the club see this as a feature not a bug.) Who signed O'Connor or JML when the Head Coach seems dead set against playing them or even using a system where wingers might be useful?

I only see next season being more of the same in a presumably tougher division. Lots to look forward to! #weareunited

Couldn’t help but think today felt like a run of the mill game against pish like Stenny or Forfar from about 8 or 9 years ago. Flat atmosphere, zero ability on the park and a general feeling of why the f**k am I putting myself through this.

Shame as I was looking forward to the last stretch of home games which would’ve had big crowds and a bit of excitement had we been in any way decent at soccer.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Well, you stated that this seasons team, without Dipo, would get relegated in next seasons league so not sure what your point actually was then…

The without Dipo chat is nonsense, if we didn’t sign him we were hardly going to run with Mark McKenzie up front himself all season. 

The point was that I was agreeing with itzdrk that next season’s league will be significantly stronger than this year (possibly the worst standard in my lifetime, with no team seemingly wanting to win it and everyone dropping points in what should be easier games constantly), and that I am not confident that we’ll be able to find another gem like Dipo who will keep us out of trouble. 

Essentially, IMO, we are in an artificially inflated position due to the rotten standard of the league this year, that is making some fans think we’ll be up challenging again next year despite almost all of the signs since Christmas pointing in the opposite direction. 

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The point was that I was agreeing with itzdrk that next season’s league will be significantly stronger than this year (possibly the worst standard in my lifetime, with no team seemingly wanting to win it and everyone dropping points in what should be easier games constantly), and that I am not confident that we’ll be able to find another gem like Dipo who will keep us out of trouble. 

Essentially, IMO, we are in an artificially inflated position due to the rotten standard of the league this year, that is making some fans think we’ll be up challenging again next year despite almost all of the signs since Christmas pointing in the opposite direction. 

Fair enough..

IMO, I think the poor standard of the league this year is overstated a bit - it is just very competitive and not much between most of the sides. If the likes of Dundee United come down there should be an outright run away winner, but they didn’t exactly get it right very quickly last time they were down here. Likewise the likes of Dunfermline coming back up. They will strengthen - but let’s remember they currently have the same strike force that got them relegated, and continually start Joe Chalmers.

We won’t find another Dipo, that much is clear, but improving key areas of the team will or should negate that. We need to recruit well, or we will be in the bottom half I would imagine. 

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Next seasons could be the toughest in years. Certain permutations make it a very intriguing (and frightening) proposition 

Aye maybe 

But that’s on the assumption that the likes of Dunfermline improve significantly and get their recruitment spot on. Then depending on who else comes up from the playoffs, if anyone. 

It’s always a tough League and we’ll need to ensure we do well in signing players but it’s the biggest load of pish ever for folk to be writing next season off just because Dipo will leave. We didn’t exactly get lucky with him in the way we did with Adeloye. Adeloye was a complete panic signing after Todorov and Ugwu went elsewhere. Actual time and effort went into looking at Akinyemi and the club were confident he’d be a good signing. They’ve made other signings that haven’t worked well and equally they’ve made other signings that have paid off. I think we’ll be absolutely fine.