The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

I still struggle to understand how supporters who’ve followed Ayr over any period of time can seriously be looking to get rid of Bullen at this point.

I would imagine it's because the performances are often bad and there's no evidence of a tactical or strategic plan. If you could point to something Bullen has done or is doing that is causing good results then there would be more cause for optimism. Right now it looks like Dipo is carrying the team and results are likely to deteriorate when he moves on because there's nothing underpinning any success they're having this year.

2 hours ago, Iain said:

I would imagine it's because the performances are often bad and there's no evidence of a tactical or strategic plan. If you could point to something Bullen has done or is doing that is causing good results then there would be more cause for optimism. Right now it looks like Dipo is carrying the team and results are likely to deteriorate when he moves on because there's nothing underpinning any success they're having this year.

I think this is too simplistic an outlook tbh - people act as if Bullen just chucks them out on the pitch and Akinyemi does the rest. 

Apologies if it's been said already but I thought in terms of being an attacking threat Maguire was excellent last night, two really good assists and link up play in and around the Cove box. Could easily have got himself a goal as well.

Definitely his best game for us so far, hopefully a sign that his attacking output is improving as his fitness improves.

30 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think this is too simplistic an outlook tbh - people act as if Bullen just chucks them out on the pitch and Akinyemi does the rest. 

And if folk are saying that about Bullen then they could level the same accusation at McCall about Shankland.

30 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Apologies if it's been said already but I thought in terms of being an attacking threat Maguire was excellent last night, two really good assists and link up play in and around the Cove box. Could easily have got himself a goal as well.

Definitely his best game for us so far, hopefully a sign that his attacking output is improving as his fitness improves.

I even thought his fitness was fine last night. He was attacking down every ball from the goalkeeper to defenders, there is some energy in him.

13 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

I even thought his fitness was fine last night. He was attacking down every ball from the goalkeeper to defenders, there is some energy in him.

Aye I said to my pal that he’s actually reasonably quick over a very small distance. No idea who it was that he skint for the third goal and he was chasing down centre backs all night. 

Even if he’s rotten for the rest of the season he’s done enough to ensure he’s not in the lazy, wage chasing bracket that Harkins was in. 

Looks a if the pengulum has swung in Dundee's favour now for the title, still a bit to go and more ups and downs along the road i'm sure however still feel as if for us to win it we'd need to go unbeaten for every remaining game which ain't gonna happen.

As @Hursty i think it was pointed out earlier on if Dundee were to win the league, 2nd-4th could potentially be QP, Ayr and Morton, if that was the case it could be favourable as we have good records against both. If Partick were to be involved though we'd be fucked.

6 cup finals to go and lot looks like a lot could still happen in-between, Morton (8th), Partick (15th) and QP (21st) will probably define where we finish...

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

And if folk are saying that about Bullen then they could level the same accusation at McCall about Shankland.

Shankland performed poorly when expected to collect things shelled into the opposition penalty box and so McCall ... didn't repeatedly resort to it. Also McCall did a hell of a lot of very well-recognised work to turn Shankland's career around. Maybe Akinyemi is going to ask Bullen to be godfather to his children but it doesn't seem like _quite_ as much has gone into that relationship.

44 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Shankland performed poorly when expected to collect things shelled into the opposition penalty box and so McCall ... didn't repeatedly resort to it. Also McCall did a hell of a lot of very well-recognised work to turn Shankland's career around. Maybe Akinyemi is going to ask Bullen to be godfather to his children but it doesn't seem like _quite_ as much has gone into that relationship.

It was our game plan 90% of the time iirc. 

I’m not questioning the overall work that McCall did with Shankland tbh even if I think it’s vastly overstated and it was more a case of Shankland getting himself into shape and dropping down to a low enough level to get his confidence back.

I was only agreeing with the OP that whilst some may think it, our tactics do not simply consist of launching balls into Akinyemi and crossing our fingers. There’s no denying he’s the focal point of our attacks but why wouldn’t he be when he’s so good at it. 

Well only one word after Friday night Maguire, the guy was everything I thought he would be to the team ,and it’s great to see a bit of real Quality on the pitch, you can’t coach that ability it’s natural.

The whole back four were collectively good and McAllister coaching young Hewitt through the game was great to see. If they are handing out two year contracts out McAllister should be top of the list for his attitude and commitment and versatility. I think young Hewitt when he gets over his nerves will do well at right back, he is good athlete and I believe that position is his best shout of making it.

Watched the highlights of Queen’s Park and I can’t believe they lost that game, it was one way traffic.

Watched  Fleetwood game today with Corrie Nabada playing left centre back he was very good, still tied to Ipswich but read his recent profile on wiki, there’s a quote from Hopkin saying one of his performances was the worst he had seen, what did he know eh.

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

I’m playing devils advocate as much as anything, but Shankland had already performed at a level higher than league one but then had one or two poor spells. Akinyemi had kicked around at a much lower level than the championship, not doing a great deal until last season, and yet Bullen gets absolutely no credit while McCall gets recognised as the man to turn Shankland around… 

9 hours ago, Thumper said:

Shankland performed poorly when expected to collect things shelled into the opposition penalty box and so McCall ... didn't repeatedly resort to it. Also McCall did a hell of a lot of very well-recognised work to turn Shankland's career around. Maybe Akinyemi is going to ask Bullen to be godfather to his children but it doesn't seem like _quite_ as much has gone into that relationship

Not sure this is true , I see plenty of improvement in Dipo since  the summer . That goal he took at Dundee ,running it in from distance , wasn't really his bag , back in the summer . Think when he joined us he was a very good striker for this level , now with his goals and assists he is going finish not far off Shankland levels .  The boys conditioning , attitude and commitment are first class but Ayr United also helped put some lead in his pencil . I hope he gets the move he deserves in the summer . 

13 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Whilst Shankland would score many of our goals there were also a few others who contributed or could step up if he wasn't playing. Think Dipo has played most games so not totally sure what it would look like if he was injured. McCall's team also had a system set up that played decent football and if someone got injured another could step in without too much hassle. Should Murdoch , Frankie or Dipo not play then not sure we are able to compete in the same way. Hopefully Bullen's team will evolve and become more steady but a bit of work to do yet 

We didn't just cannon balls at Shankland and hope he'd do something. We had Moffat linking the midfield and attack unlocking defences. The style of play was light years better than what we are served up for large spells through games at the moment. We were direct at times for sure under McCall but it wasn't our only strategy. We also knew how to shitfest when we had to. The team at the start of 2019/20 played some of the most delicious stuff. I also don't believe it was all Sandy Stewart (I know lots of people do)

FWIW McCall wasn't the messiah (we know that now) and his teams always struggled through winter. However, he did actually instill a style of play and we had some sensational performances. 

Also, I happen to think Dipo would score more goals if we worked the ball into the box or crossed it to him rather than cannoning the ball at him. I don't think we are getting the best out of him tbh. Which is a scary thought, if Dipo plays in the 2018/19 team he'd have as many goals as Shankland if not more.

Edited by Trogdor

48 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Whilst Shankland would score many of our goals there were also a few others who contributed or could step up if he wasn't playing. Think Dipo has played most games so not totally sure what it would look like if he was injured. McCall's team also had a system set up that played decent football and if someone got injured another could step in without too much hassle. Should Murdoch , Frankie or Dipo not play then not sure we are able to compete in the same way. Hopefully Bullen's team will evolve and become more steady but a bit of work to do yet 

The second half of our first season back up, when we were rancid while Shankland was either unfit or not playing at all, suggests this isn’t entirely correct.

32 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

We didn't just cannon balls at Shankland and hope he'd do something. We had Moffat linking the midfield and attack unlocking defences. The style of play was light years better than what we are served up for large spells through games at the moment. We were direct at times for sure under McCall but it wasn't our only strategy. We also knew how to shitfest when we had to. The team at the start of 2019/20 played some of the most delicious stuff. I also don't believe it was all Sandy Stewart (I know lots of people do)

FWIW McCall wasn't the messiah (we know that now) and his teams always struggled through winter. However, he did actually instill a style of play and we had some sensational performances. 

Also, I happen to think Dipo would score more goals if we worked the ball into the box or crossed it to him rather than cannoning the ball at him. I don't think we are getting the best out of him tbh. Which is a scary thought, if Dipo plays in the 2018/19 team he'd have as many goals as Shankland if not more.

Edited 28 minutes ago by Trogdor

And while this is a little off topic , McCall's team would invariably come unstuck when the opposition reverted to a power game and just lumptedthe ball into our box .

Kilmarnock won last seasons Championship with 67 points , 20 wins and 7 draws . We currently sit with 14 wins and 7 draws , with six games to go . It's a big ask to win 6 out of 6 but not impossible.  Arbroath are fighting for  their life's , so it'll be a huge battle.  Win that and its still possible.